The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning: Judd Brackett in negotiations for 2-year extension

Rate this topic

Where's Wellwood

You can imagine that with Benning’s strengths and background he is more involved in the scouting aspect and Brackett has less autonomy and decision making powers than he would under other GMs who weren’t scouts.

I can see that being something that has to be negotiated more than the pure money.  I can also see the allure of going to a team like Seattle where you have a bigger role and can invent your own processes to draft from the ground up.

• Upvote 1

Whatever decision Brackett makes, wish him the best. If he would like a bigger role and can find it elsewhere, then he deserves it and I fully support him. If he stays, then he can see the fruits of his labour come together and hopefully win a Cup that is contributed by his help. Would love to keep him, but good people deserve the opportunities.

I don't see this as any clash between him and Benning if he doesn't accept. They seem to enjoy working together and hopefully he will want to see things through before his next endeavor.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Haven't seen this here yet, and I searched for Judd. 

Good to see that Benning and Aqua are keeping good people around.

Great to hear.    The losers over at HF Canucks were trying to start a conspiracy theory that Benning and Weisbrod were trying to get rid of Brackett and so hopefully this shuts them up.

• Cheers 3

It is only recently that our Canucks have had some good drafting picks and skills and if Mr. Brackett has anything to do with this, please extend his contract because over the years of being a Canuck fan I have noticed that this is a definite weakness of the team.

As a matter of fact they have stunk at drafting for decades and finally we have it going our way even with the unprecedented 4 years of being shafted at the B.S. LOTTO DRAFT.

We have had some great drafting picks over the last couple of years and hopefully this continues.

• Cheers 1

Could be the most important contract JB is negotiating this year....

Drafting has been extraordinary over the Benning tenure here, and without doubt the main architect here, together with Benning, has been Brackett...

Keep the management team intact... they have done very well so far.

However Benning knows that the success of the Canucks, especially on the draft floor, will not have gone unnoticed...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Great to hear.    The losers over at HF Canucks were trying to start a conspiracy theory that Benning and Weisbrod were trying to get rid of Brackett and so hopefully this shuts them up.

I have a feeling it'll take a lot more to do that.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Well, we can see how it turns out.  Reports say he isn’t really happy with his  role, maybe not happy that Gear got promoted to assistant GM?

Hard to turn down a contract offer, there aren’t that many front office  jobs in the league and it is risky to go out as UFA with no guarantee of a job.

very different roles, though.

I suspect they're discussing shorter term because they've groomed him and don't want to lose him, but also acknowledge that he's ready to spread his wings and fly. it's a sort of "give us a couple more years and we'll either find an increased role for you or let you pursue other opportunities."

I think they make a good team.

I could understand a scout wanting more determination/final say in draft picks - but that's not part of the job description - in the end it's a GM's role to make the final call - and I'm not sure Benning asserts that 'right' that often - it seems fairly clear that he defers to others at times, and generally seeks a consensus -  or at least determines who he believes has the best take on a situation.  Brackett may provide some great intel on whom he believes the team should take, but no single scout can possibly cover every angle or player in any draft - in the end it takes a solid team of people -and as good as Brackett is at his role, my impression is also that Benning is every bit as good at managing the larger group.

Therefore - you see him credit people like Delorme - who has been constantly and somewhat understandably maligned in the market (pre-Benning drafting just was not very good) - but nevertheless, Benning listened to - and credited Delorme with his insistence that EP be at the top of the team's radar.  And further to Benning's prudence where that pick was concerned - correct me if I'm wrong - but when he was approached to trade down at the 2017 draft - by a fairly crafty (imo) GM - Botterill - Benning was pretty forthright - that with the Rags moving up to 7, he wasn't comfortable moving any further than 6.  Seemed to have a very solid take on who Vegas would select (Glass) - and that the Rags were eyeing EP at 7.

You could see as the 6 spot approached in the 2018 draft - that Weisbrod may have been taken off guard by the Yotes 'reaching' (if in fact it winds up a 'reach' in the end) to take Hayton - Weisbrod was asking Zadina or Hughes?  - Benning and Brackett both soundly behind wanting Hughes.  A similar dynamic when it came to drafting Woo - teams calling wanting to trade up - Benning firmly against it, allowing Brackett to make that call - Brackett clearly wanted Woo - Benning wasn't entertaining the offers to move down.

And more specifically in regard to Brackett - iirc as they were getting calls wanting their 3rd in 2018 - Brackett was weighing a few options including Madden, seemed to favour a goaltender - ie 'what if the goaltender is there?' - Benning in that instance holding firmly on Madden (not taking a goaltender - perhaps if they had another 3rd he'd use it to take the goaltender in question - but an instance where he made the call there (seems to have worked out alright).    And it seems to me that pick infuriated Bowman - who had the next pick - memory that distant can be a funny thing, but I seem to recall some very obvious body language coming from Chicago's draft table - that they were clearly pining to take Madden and were not happy that Benning scooped him one spot before they could.

Anyhow - I'm not going to pretend to know how much credit for drafting should go to whom - some people love to attempt to sell Brackett as a saviour - who should have Benning's job - who's stamp on drafting should own the turnaround in the franchise - but that strikes me as part of an obvious axe to grind against Benning - and not necessarily based on any 'insider' information that would indicate a clear line from Brackett to all their best draft picks - it seems somewhat clear, even in limited instances of 'evidence' - that it has been a team effort and that various people have played key roles at different times - which to me, translates into good management - good relations between Benning and his various 'assistants' and enough respect for each of them to allow them to put the "foot down" in instances where they feel pretty strongly about a must-have/must-draft player.  Perhaps Brackett would prefer a circumstance where a GM like Benning might not defer to someone other than him, or might not step in in the odd circumstance to make a call himself - but the results would seem to favour the type of team work they have managed to cooperate to produce in recent years.  I don't think I'd be willing to alter that if it were my call.

Regarding Chris Gear - it seems fairly evident that there is very little overlap between him and Brackett - Gear, as I understand it, performs more of a cousellors role - handling business operations, negoatiations -  player/contracts/business operations.....I don't see why an 'AGM' title would matter much when a guy like Brackett seems relatively specialized and focused on amateur (and pro) scouting?  I don't think there's much to see there.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Those idiots over there now have a new narrative:  

“The Canucks current winning streak defies all logic and they’ve been extremely lucky with injuries while riding the coattails of Jacob Markstrom.”

These HF Canuck Benning haters pride themselves on using facts and logic to argue points, and yet they fail to consider the following:

1) The Canucks haven’t gotten “lucky” with injuries.  Guys like Ferland, Sutter, and Motte have been out for large stretches this year.  Edler was also injured for a few weeks.

2) The Canucks aren’t simply “riding Markstrom.”   The Canucks have the 3rd highest 1st period goal differential in the league, and have also outscored their opponents 26-11 in the last 16 games in the 3rd period.   

Markstrom has certainly been a large part of our success, but for those morons on HF to imply that he’s been practically our only reason just stinks of bias.  

On top of all that, the Canucks are still a developing team and so who cares if we’re not dominating teams yet like we were in 2011?   Back in 2006-2007 when the Canucks were winning in less than dominating fashion, I don’t recall many “fans” complaining that we were only winning because of “x” and “y.”  Fans were just happy that the team appeared to be on the rise once again.   

The Benning bashers over at HF truly are the stupidest fans on the Internet.   And the said thing is, they aren’t even really that stupid.  Just obtuse.  Whiny.  Little bitches.

They’re turds on a stick is what they are, Dark. Content to not have a conversation, just merely repeat the same diatribe ad nauseum. 

21 hours ago, Provost said:

Well, we can see how it turns out.  Reports say he isn’t really happy with his  role, maybe not happy that Gear got promoted to assistant GM?

Hard to turn down a contract offer, there aren’t that many front office  jobs in the league and it is risky to go out as UFA with no guarantee of a job.

20 hours ago, khay said:

I would offer more than market value salary to keep him here. His salary doesn't even count against the cap. This is when you like having Acquillinis as owners, they care about the team and they are willing to spend.

I am surprised that Brackett has not been promoted to AGM. It is hard to know for sure who is responsible for what in the scouting department, but amateur scouting has been very good since Brackett took over as head of that department. And from what we have seen in draft day videos made available by the Canucks it looks as it Bracket making most of the calls. I remember a video where the issue came up about trading down instead of picking Madden, and Brackett was the guy who said no. 

I am sure Benning is closely involved with the first round picks but, even there, the few bits of information have been made available suggest that the Brackett was the key voice with recent picks such as Pettersson and Hughes and Podkolzin. 

And I have been very impressed by his interviews. What he says makes sense. I think losing him would be a huge loss. And other teams would be interested and would almost certainly give him a promotion. He has even been rumored as a candidate for a couple of GM positions, although that would be a stretch.

Other teams are not supposed to approach him while he is under contract unless they get permission from the Canucks, but i am sure he realizes that he would be in high demand if he does not re-sign with the Canucks. Seattle is certainly a likely landing spot and I think that would be very bad news for the Canucks. 

So I would say: "Pay him way above market and give him a title upgrade to AGM."

• Cheers 1