The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Justin Bailey, Zack MacEwen

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/baileju01.html

Bailey maybe averages 1 hit per game as per his NHL stats.  Primarily he is much like Virtanen, where he'd rather use his speed and skills than his brute size and strength.

I think if you want someone to bring a physical presence, that would be Zac MacEwen's calling card where he has averaged 2-3 hits per game in the NHL this season.

That's kind of what I figured, so just trying to mitigate any hate towards Bailey if he isn't blasting people left and right. That really isn't his game. MacEwen seems like the better fit in replacing what Motte did, but maybe adding Bailey adds another offensive threat with speed that could change the dynamic of the line. Whatever the case, can't see them both drawing in and likely Scahller is back in against some of the wishes here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If Motte and Beagle are out (and Motte looks like it's a long term injury), then I can see the Canucks rolling a fourth line either of:

Bailey-Sutter-MacEwen

or

Schaller-Sutter-MacEwen/Bailey

Sutter being able to slot back into center is a great asset.

Bailey should be able to help the 4th line stay fast but hard to know how effective he will be on the forecheck (like Motte).

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Is Bailey much of a hitter? The impression I get is he's one of those big guys, but doesn't play overly aggressive.

I imagine one is in the other is out. With Beagle and Motte potentially being out, that's two PK guys. Sutter slots into the middle and neither MacEwen or Bailey PK as far as I know, so Schaller should draw back in. We don't want to revert back to playing Miller and Horvat regular PK time. We slumped when this happened.

MacEwen should hopefully slot in and provide a physical edge, while not detracting from offense. The league is pathetic for not giving Karlsson something for that dirty play.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
Bailey has more NHL experience.
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

MacEwen has more NHL experience and should hopefully slot in and provide a physical edge, while not detracting from offense. The league is pathetic for not giving Karlsson something for that dirty play.

I agree that MacEwen likely draws in filling in Motte's role. If Beagle is out, then I see Schaller in rather than Bailey. Although it's curious because Benning did mention he would like to get a look at Bailey (amongst others including MacEwen) at the NHL level to see what they've got. However, I just think because if we are losing out on two PKers that we go with Schalotov.

I agree that it looked like a pretty nasty play. EK has a suspension history too.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I agree that MacEwen likely draws in filling in Motte's role. If Beagle is out, then I see Schaller in rather than Bailey. Although it's curious because Benning did mention he would like to get a look at Bailey (amongst others including MacEwen) at the NHL level to see what they've got. However, I just think because if we are losing out on two PKers that we go with Schalotov.

I agree that it looked like a pretty nasty play. EK has a suspension history too.

Did Tim recently declare a new nationality?:bigblush:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ibesawesomey said:

Bailey-Gaudette-MacEwan could be a tough line to play against. But I doubt Green puts them on together...

I'm betting that's exactly how he does it.  I think he'll move Jake back down to the third to try and even things out, as he can produce on any line.

Miller Petey Boes

Pearson Bo LE

Rous Sutter Jake

Bailey AG Mac

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Dang, I had a bad feeling about that Karlsson hit last night.....it seemed like a 'sneaky dirty' elbow to the head.  Or was it just a clean hit where Motter was too low for his own safety?  

not even remotely.  Two guys battling for the same ice that went into the boards.  It happpens many times during a game, Motte just happened to go in in a bad position.  Unfortunate, but those things happen.  Hopefully it's nothing too serious and he's back after the road trip.

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's kind of what I figured, so just trying to mitigate any hate towards Bailey if he isn't blasting people left and right. That really isn't his game. MacEwen seems like the better fit in replacing what Motte did, but maybe adding Bailey adds another offensive threat with speed that could change the dynamic of the line. Whatever the case, can't see them both drawing in and likely Scahller is back in against some of the wishes here.

I think likely Schaller goes in.  Trusted NHL vet and also fills a need Mac and Bailry dont really fo is penalty killing.  Losing Motte definitely hurts but Schaller seems more than capable. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canadian said:

When I first watched it, I thought it looked like dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone. Either way, seems like long-term. Each time he has been out this year, the fourth line loses a lot of energy. I hope they try a young guy (Bailey/Mac/other) instead of Schaller. He’s UFA at the end of the year and will be gone, it would be nice to see what other options we might be able to use next year.

I thought the same thing. His left shoulder got tangled with EK and they just went into the boards like that. 

I also think Beagle may take a few off too. Not sure if they did an imaging on his arm.

Tough break for Motte. He was starting to take some shifts up in Bo's line a bit. 

He's been shooting a lot more and looked like he was taking his game to the next level. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

MacEwen has more NHL experience and should hopefully slot in and provide a physical edge, while not detracting from offense. The league is pathetic for not giving Karlsson something for that dirty play.

Actually Justin Bailey is the one with more NHL experience. He has 63 games and 9 points in the NHL vs 12 games and 3 points for McEwen

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Two guys... interesting. Does that mean they're likely to give Beagle a few games off to heal what's probably a VERY bad (bone?) bruise?

no, we were only at 22/23 on the roster. They now have 14F 7D so its all good. 

• Cheers 1