The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report Coyotes being investigated for physical testing draft eligible CHL PLayers

Rate this topic

Squamfan

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Since 2010 the Coyotes have lost $135.7 million dollars. The best they've done is lost only $4.5 million in 2015. 

https://www.forbes.com/teams/arizona-coyotes/#2b75efbb6477

He doesn't want to lose his T.V deal for Phoenix. Such a stupid strategy.

Phoenix should be relocated to Quebec city, I mean they even have an arena ready. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Forgive me for asking this but, what does this mean?

from the sounds of it, they are trying to get an advantage over other teams, since the testing is not really done until before the draft. (NHL draft combine).  They will get information first about prospects before anyone else does.   

THAT BEING SAID, from what I know there is no rule actually forbidding NHL teams from physically testing draft eligible players in the CHL before the combine.  no one actually said they cannot do this.  There is also no rule in the CHL that does not allow NHL teams to test players in their league.  As far as I know if Gillis was the gm that will be his defence. 

conclusion, slap on the wrist, since it's the dead Arizona Coyotes and that it's NHL's puppy team.   

slap on the wrist, and probably told not to do this again.  

If this was the Canucks doing it, expect huge fines and punishments.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Forgive me for asking this but, what does this mean? Like what happened here?

NHL has a combined fitness testing program, called.. The Combine.. where all the youngsters are put thru their paces.

The Coyotes are trying to get a headstart on this, and the reason its a big deal because you will get to see the rate of change certain players achieve in the time between whenever they did their testing, and the combine, which would likely influence their picks.

You want a guy who hasnt come close to peaking yet.

Anyways, its shady, and not at all surprising to be honest.

When your step daddy runs the league, why would you even give breaking the 'rules' a second thought?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, xereau said:

NHL has a combined fitness testing program, called.. The Combine.. where all the youngsters are put thru their paces.

The Coyotes are trying to get a headstart on this, and the reason its a big deal because you will get to see the rate of change certain players achieve in the time between whenever they did their testing, and the combine, which would likely influence their picks.

You want a guy who hasnt come close to peaking yet.

Anyways, its shady, and not at all surprising to be honest.

When your step daddy runs the league, why would you even give breaking the 'rules' a second thought?

Thanks appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

from the sounds of it, they are trying to get an advantage over other teams, since the testing is not really done until before the draft. (NHL draft combine).  They will get information first about prospects before anyone else does.   

THAT BEING SAID, from what I know there is no rule actually forbidding NHL teams from physically testing draft eligible players in the CHL before the combine.  no one actually said they cannot do this.  There is also no rule in the CHL that does not allow NHL teams to test players in their league.  As far as I know if Gillis was the gm that will be his defence. 

conclusion, slap on the wrist, since it's the dead Arizona Coyotes and that it's NHL's puppy team.   

Thanks appreciate it

All of these new GM's (Chayka and Dubas) are certainly changing how to manage and build a hockey team (more than likely, based on some computer model rather than experience - obviously, given there age).  Although, analytics seemed to had worked in Baseball because we continue to see small market teams like the Ray's and A's, being able to compete despite there budget (side note: as per an article, it indicates that analytics seems to be better suited in baseball cause of it's one on one nature - makes it easier to measure).  Whether, it is for the good of the game - only time well tell.  I certainly, do welcome new ideas, as long as, it does not constitute cheating (interesting how alot of articles praising the Astros new approach to roster building were being written that coincided with there rise but in the end they still resulted to cheating cause winning at all cost mattered more rather how you win).  As a sports fan, the introduction of analytics has certainly increased my engagement and I hope it continues to develope but I still dont know how someone can measure, "heart".

To a certain degree, I am starting to appreciate, JBs' more human approach to asset management and old school way of letting things sort itself out (as a Canuck fan, it can be frustrating but somewhat relief that, we have a GM that has both the old school experience and the willingness to try new things).  Has he been perfect - NO - but who is with hindsight.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Dreger is reporting that the NHL forbids physical testing before the combine and any team violating that rule faces monetary fines of $250'000.- or more per incident at the discretion of Bettman.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Dreger is reporting that the NHL forbids physical testing before the combine and any team violating that rule faces monetary fines of $250'000.- or more per incident at the discretion of Bettman.

New rules are probably being considered as we speak ?  The issue with rules (or more rules) is that, its' enforcement will always depend on the interpretation of the person in charge.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

He doesn't want to lose his T.V deal for Phoenix. Such a stupid strategy.

Phoenix should be relocated to Quebec city, I mean they even have an arena ready. 

The Coyotes had the league's fifth-lowest local television rating (0.44) on Fox Arizona during the 2018-19 season.

According to the same article in Forbes. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

:lol:

I thought they took a dud in Hayton, but he's actually a good pick. It was a reach that worked out.

Also, it should be noted that Hughes didn't play in the CHL, and since Arizona was using CHL-based players to allegedly cheat with, they basically had no information on Hughes in this way.

Edited by Dazzle

12 hours ago, Monteeun said:

Forgive me for asking this but, what does this mean? Like what happened here?

Obviously..you've seen Blade Runner, eh?

This is that Iris/retina thingy test, where they find out if the perfect, draft-worthy youth are human, or them damned replicant skin-jobs! Pay attn!