The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Deadline Moves the Canucks Should Make

GMJB has done a good job of building up depth through the draft and through signing undrafted prospects.  The fact that a guy like Justin Bailey has turned into a nice UFA addition is great bonus.  This is one of the first seasons I can remember where not only is the NHL roster deep but there are solid depth players and prospects to look for ward to as well.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:
  • Michel Ferland - LW - big guy in terms of how he plays.   Fast.   Has decent hands.   Has shown in past how effective he can be in the playoffs.   Should be able to add this guy for pretty close to nothing.
  • Justin Bailey - RW - another really big guy who has been a bit of delayed development case with NHL experience in both Buffalo and Philly.   Has finally found his scoring touch at AHL level and plays with an edge.  Good skater for such a big guy (listed at 6'4" but plays even bigger).    Could get him very little is any cost.
  • Kole Lind - RW - a bit of a gamble move perhaps based upon his first pro year but this guy, who also plays big, has come into his own as a second year pro and really is strong on the puck/boards and could be a very interesting piece if the Canucks run into injury issues on the right side.   Has great wheels.   Not expecting him to cost anything off current roster or any future draft pick to get.
  • Brogan Rafterty - a larger version of a young Barrie who has continued to improve both his skating and overall play as a 24 year old pro.    Can be a nice addition to a back end looking for scoring.   Doesn't shy away from the rough going at all and has a brilliant outlet pass instinct.   Don't think there would be a cost associated with his acquisition.
  • Sven Baertschi - a real pro who has taken his recent demotion from the NHL in stride and playing dominant hockey at AHL level.   Not the best defensive forward but fleet of foot and can kickstart a powerplay or similar.   A nice depth weapon given it shouldn't cost the Canucks much to make this move.    Suspect good chemistry with Canuck captain.
  • Nikolay Goldobin - pretty much a carbon copy of Sven with the added bonus of some slicker puckhandling skills.    
  • Guillaume Brisebois - this Dman has size, skill and has improved his defensive game to the point he is among the AHL league leaders in +/-.    Canucks should remember from their last successful playoff experience (even if current management all different as are the players - but organizationally remember) how important it would be to have depth on D for a playoff stretch drive let alone in the playoffs.

So let me sum this up:

1. This thread proposes adding two players (baer and goldy) into the forward group of the Canucks that could not keep their jobs in the top 9 forward group....but now we should put them in over players that have all out played them?  Yeah...ok.  

2. The poster wants to add in not 1, not 2, not 3, BUT 4 AHL players into the NHL Canucks line up?  Most of the 4 have played almost no NHL games (1 has not played any).  None of the players have shown they can consistently play at the NHL level and the Canucks are deep into their playoff hunt....so why not add 4 AHL players to the roster??   Jeezus.....

Ferland is the only guy in the entire list that is clearly an NHLer and should be added to the line up when healthy. 

The other prospects should be introduced 1 or 2 at a time to give them the chance to demonstrate they can keep up to the play in the NHL when an opening exists to do so. Any in the middle of a playoff hunt that is stupid.

Not even the biggest moron GM in the NHL would do what is proposed.

Utterly ridiculous.  :picard:

Edit: the opening post is soooo poorly written I just went back to see if I misinterpreted what it even means. Does the poster mean he would try to trade those players??  Does he mean he would put them in the Canuck line up??   Good god...a ninth grader writer more clearly worded posts.  Must have been drunk as hell when typing that I guess.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So let me sum this up:

1. This thread proposes adding two players (baer and goldy) into the forward group of the Canucks that could not keep their jobs in the top 9 forward group....but now we should put them in over players that have all out played them?  Yeah...ok.  

2. The poster wants to add in not 1, not 2, not 3, BUT 4 AHL players into the NHL Canucks line up?  Most of the 4 have played almost no NHL games (1 has not played any).  None of the players have shown they can consistently play at the NHL level and the Canucks are deep into their playoff hunt....so why not add 4 AHL players to the roster??   Jeezus.....

Ferland is the only guy in the entire list that is clearly an NHLer and should be added to the line up when healthy. 

The other prospects should be introduced 1 or 2 at a time to give them the chance to demonstrate they can keep up to the play in the NHL when an opening exists to do so. Any in the middle of a playoff hunt that is stupid.

Not even the biggest moron GM in the NHL would do what is proposed.

Utterly ridiculous.  :picard:

Edit: the opening post is soooo poorly written I just went back to see if I misinterpreted what it even means. Does the poster mean he would try to trade those players??  Does he mean he would put them in the Canuck line up??   Good god...a ninth grader writer more clearly worded posts.  Must have been drunk as hell when typing that I guess.

Reading comprehension issues?   The thread is pointing out the Canucks have some excellent depth already to assist with the stretch run and then into the playoffs.   That you disagree is fine but there are MANY GMs in the NHL that would salivate at that list of players added to them as being in the "back pocket" for the stretch run without having to expended a SINGLE OTHER ASSET.    For you to call that utterly ridiculous is more than fine - but is speaks volumes about your understanding of the skill level involved in that list and your clear disdain for the current state of the Canuck depth.   I choose to disagree with you - without even needing a facepalm.   :)

As far as the opening post, which you clearly know is mine, I appreciate the "drunk as hell" "ninth grader" evaluation.   Far better than any grade I was expecting.   :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Reading comprehension issues?   The thread is pointing out the Canucks have some excellent depth already to assist with the stretch run and then into the playoffs.   That you disagree is fine but there are MANY GMs in the NHL that would salivate at that list of players added to them as being in the "back pocket" for the stretch run without having to expended a SINGLE OTHER ASSET.    For you to call that utterly ridiculous is more than fine - but is speaks volumes about your understanding of the skill level involved in that list and your clear disdain for the current state of the Canuck depth.   I choose to disagree with you - without even needing a facepalm.   :)

As far as the opening post, which you clearly know is mine, I appreciate the "drunk as hell" "ninth grader" evaluation.   Far better than any grade I was expecting.   :lol:

I don't read your narcissistic posts for a reason. You are some simple internet poster that actually has an online ego thinking their posts are better than others. My mistake was clicking on the thread to see what brilliance you suggested. But the post itself was unclear about what you were even suggesting.  Back to not seeing your posts lol.  :frantic:

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't read your narcissistic posts for a reason. You are some simple internet poster that actually has an online ego thinking their posts are better than others. My mistake was clicking on the thread to see what brilliance you suggested. But the post itself was unclear about what you were even suggesting.  Back to not seeing your posts lol.  :frantic:

Uh, clearly you do.,....in fact, you comment on them more than most.   Further, I don't think I am anything actually.   I call it as I see it and if I see complete BS I call it as such.    I know a bit about hockey and a bit about what it takes to have a good team and I know trollish crap when I see it versus sincere contributions....I will engage both appropriately.   

You seem to be making that click mistake a lot lately.    Have fun "not" reading.   :lol:

I for one am happy to see you included Kole Lind. He could turn out to be a very valuable piece for this club 2-3 years from now if he keeps taking steps in his development.

Having GMJB and his scouting staff is such an advantage for our org. Once the contracts like Baer, Sutter, Schaller and Erickson are done away with and those spots earned from within via our prospect pool, his quality of drafting and developing will shine through. This post points to the depth we now possess and it will only get better.

• Cheers 1

With our current depth we should maybe be looking to move cap space. The Islanders could use another centre and have a tonne of cap space.

To NYI
Beagle

To Van
Hickey (750K retained)

With Hickey in the minors this move frees up 2.25M per year in cap space for Vancouver. Beagle's actual pay drops to 2.2M per season, so if NYI isn't a cap team they are essentially paying $1M~ in cash for Beagle. They fill a current need without giving up assets and Vancouver gets cap space.

Now with Hickey as depth it makes it easier to move Jordie Benn, perhaps for a 5th round pick to make room for Tryamkin. 

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

With our current depth we should maybe be looking to move cap space. The Islanders could use another centre and have a tonne of cap space.

To NYI
Beagle

To Van
Hickey (750K retained)

With Hickey in the minors this move frees up 2.25M per year in cap space for Vancouver. Beagle's actual pay drops to 2.2M per season, so if NYI isn't a cap team they are essentially paying $1M~ in cash for Beagle. They fill a current need without giving up assets and Vancouver gets cap space.

Now with Hickey as depth it makes it easier to move Jordie Benn, perhaps for a 5th round pick to make room for Tryamkin. 

Beagle is not being moved, Sutter for Johnson! 

:ph34r:

my targets: Wayne Simmonds, depth RW who could provide some grit to our line up. Grit is something we lack in my opinion and are going to need come playoff time. He has a high cap hit 5m but NJ can retain 50%. We can slot him wherever in our line up, he is willing to fight and he does finish his check.

I don't think the cost to acquire Simmonds will be much. 

Simmonds to Vancouver 50% retained 

for

Schaller- roster spot/cap dump

2021 6th round pick (with conditions) we make playoffs it becomes a 5th, we win a round it becomes a 4th

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We should maybe try to shed some cap if we are healthy.

If we could manage to shed cap and get a player it would be a good move.

That would be nice, but I think JB is going to hold onto the current roster then in the off season he tries to move a couple players out earning excess salary vs their production/use to the team 

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

That would be nice, but I think JB is going to hold onto the current roster then in the off season he tries to move a couple players out earning excess salary vs their production/use to the team 

Probably. I see him moving out Baer and Sutter in the off-season.

ANA said they'd take bad contracts since they begun to rebuild. I'd look to move Eriksson over there. They have a few interesting players there like Rakell who fits our age group or even Getzlaf for 2 years. Would cost us a lot of picks but I think we can afford it with the amount of prospects lined up.

38 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably. I see him moving out Baer and Sutter in the off-season.

ANA said they'd take bad contracts since they begun to rebuild. I'd look to move Eriksson over there. They have a few interesting players there like Rakell who fits our age group or even Getzlaf for 2 years. Would cost us a lot of picks but I think we can afford it with the amount of prospects lined up.

I definitely would look to moving LE along with the other 2. Gives us quite a bit of cap space for next year to make a play for a good trade to help the team. I would like us to try acquire players with a bit of term like JT vs going after a rental type player.

Anaheim is a good trade partner albeit in our division, Manson would be a nice addition to our D, plays a defensive style with good size and an edge to his game.

Hughes Manson

Edler Tanev

OJ Myers

Benn

Stecher is part of the deal going to Ana

I agree with many posters in this thread in that the Canucks should not be adding at the TDL (although I really like Krieder but the asking price might be too much) but rather we should try to unload some players if possible. The fact we have 3 injured players (F) that can be inserted into our lineup is like having additions at the deadline anway. Leivo, Ferland and Motte are the depth we have on hand, not to mention the call ups from Utica like Mac, Bailey, Goldi, Baer if needed.

Our D seems deep enough too with Benn or Fantenberg being a very solid healthy scratch when one isn't playing.

Jim Benning has done an excellent job making this team deep in every position.

Edited by KirkSave

What happens depends on what Benning thinks.

The days of Trading the cow away for some beans are hopefully are gone.

If Benning thinks the team is ready for a cup run, then he goes all in and if not then he has to pay the price for the future.

To that end Markstrom has to be considered as a trade asset. There are a few reasons for this, the cap, Seattle expansion and Demko which all tie together.

No matter what some of the expectations are of posters there are the pressure on Benning to make no mistakes this time but he has painted himself into a corner.

Markstrom, at 30, has been essential to the standings right now and the last two years, stats point to he has been one of the best in the league and he will want top goalie money, possibly more than the Canucks can really afford, signing him also puts Demko on the block for Seattle to nab and if he makes some deal for them not to then he will be trading for Demko in a sense, Seattle does not really even have to be sincere about wanting Demko and Benning will have to respond like they are, at that point how much is too much for Demko? He is the future.

This season the goalie market is hot so the return could be as well, but unfortunately for Benning after the season the market will be uncontrollable and if JM decides to sign with another club it will be a huge loss that can only be laid at Benning feet and he has other contracts to squeeze under the cap, a cap reduced by 7 million or more according to capfriendly.

Markstrom or Demko have to be considered trade asset before the end of the season to get the most value in return.

Funny I kept hearing about how young this team is and looked it up, not really. Younger this year but next year over.

Edited by Lazurus

Another painful idea to solidify a future that includes a guaranteed cup run and playoff team for years to come. It also helps with the cap and expansion.

Boeser.

Boeser could be offered to Minnesota, by himself they would give up a 1rst round pick. 

The deal would reunite him with his ailing father for the immediate time and Minnesota needs younger star level players now, not two years from now. True the Canucks also need top six players but with cap and expansion considerations moving him may give the team an out and still make a huge step forward.

Who knows what deal might be made but Boeser fits for them in many ways, home town boy, young with NHL market value and pedigree, affordable. Who would replace Boeser, well Virtanen seems to be stepping it up and another 1rst round pick may surprise and step in next year and there Poldzin and Holander coming, both top six prospects 

Getting a player like Greenway, cheap, big and lowering the cap hit without needing to be protected adds to the Canucks and could take Virtanen's current 3rd line spot and maybe even Ferland's as well. Boeser has been getting points but even though he has not looked as good, he has many issues right now, he still wraps his wrist and his shot has not been as good and of course the distraction of his ailing father. If conducted right there would be flack no doubt but dealing with them could end up being a win win hockey trade with the real cost to the Canuck's being a season or end of a season. It would help correct many of the cap concerns for sure.

Maybe something like Boeser, (a 3rd or 4th pick?) and Stecher for a 1rst + ? pick, Dumba and Greenway and some retention. Dumba and Greenway equal just under 7 mil, Stecher and Boeser equal just over 8 mil.

Lines may look like;

Miller (27) - Petersson (22) - Virtanen (24)

Horvat (25) - Greenway (23) - Pearson (28)

Gaudette (23) - Sutter (30) - Roussel - (30)

Ferland (28) - Beagle (34) - Leivo (27) /Schaller (29)/Eriksson (35)/MacEwen (24)/Motte (25)/

Dumba (26) - Myers (29)

Hughes (20) - Edler (34)

Tanev (30)&(? TDL trade) - Benn(33)/Briebois(23)/Rafferty(25)/Tryamkin(26)/Fantenberg(28)/Woo(20)/Juolevi(22)

And IF Markstrom (30) was dealt as well,

Demko (24) - Backman (35)(exposed for Expansion), DiPietro (21), ?

And at the draft - Nucks have more cap space, extra draft picks including at least one first in a deep draft, a bigger, younger team, more cap certainty and flexibility.

More players all within 4 years of each other as the core.

If nothing happens at all this team will have to do unhappy moves regardless to move contracts, too many older players paid too much with clauses. Ferland might be a LTIR guy for the duration of his contract, concussions don't go away forever, one, even two might be recovered from if given enough time but he has suffered too many in succession over the last year, 4 I think.

If Boeser was exposed I do imagine there would be other teams closer to his home that might be interested that would pay a substantial offer, maybe even multiple 1rst's and later, 2 1rst's and a couple of later rounds. For a rebuilding team the extra picks speed up the process of rebuilding and could make the cap much easier to manage. If the past picks come to frutation as most expect then the loss of Boeser will be mitigated by improved defense.  Buffalo comes to mind here.

Edited by Lazurus