The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion & Poll] Markstrom, Tanev & Virtanen - One has to go

Rate this topic

grandmaster

Who do we let go?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Not when we have all these overpaid, dead and unmovable contracts:

LE - 6M (Extremely overpaid)

Sutter - 4.38M (overpaid)

Baerchi - 2.29M (minors)

Luongo - 3.03M (recapture)

Spooner - 1.03M (buyout)

Ferlund - 3.5M (LTIR/long term questionable health/concussion issues)

That’s about 20M in bad cap issues!

Salary increases:

Markstrom  - 3.67M to 5/6M

Tanev - 4.45M to 5M

Virtanen - 1.25M to 4M

That’s about 5 or 6M in salary increases! 

Keeping all 3 is NOT going to happen! JB is not a magician....

I don't think for a second that it is a simple situation but having said that i think it will probably be way more involved than just getting rid of one of the three you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I can’t see anyone taking on Baertchi. He cleared waivers, no one claimed the guy and has been buried for pretty much the whole year. Sutter is another one like LE; a competent NHLer but overpaid (slightly less overpaid than LE).

I don’t see JB being able to trade either of these 2....

I think that the hope is that at the trade deadline there will be a playoff contending team who has a top 6 injury and needs a replacement in a bad way.

If this happens, they should be able to move him for very little.  Benning has promised to try and find him a situation.  He is capable of producing at a 0.5 ppg rate.  Baer has a cap hit of $3.3M with 1 more year after this season which may be the reason that he hasn't been moved.  If the Canucks are forced to retain even half, they still save more off the cap than they are now.  By burying him, they still face a $2.2M NHL cap hit, retaining half would be about $1.68 

Failing that, there is more movement in the off season and I would like to think that a rebuilding team might take him just like the Canucks did 5 years ago

OP suggests we get rid of the youngest and cheapest player to retain...I disagree, move on from the oft injured D man instead. Bold move would to actually move on from Marky and sign a cheaper veteran G in FA for 1-3 years at a far cheaper rate to help transition Demko in more starts leading to him becoming the unanimous #1G 

Gear up for either all being retained, or the Canuck special of seeing an asset walk away as a UFA come July 1.

JB wants to make the playoffs, the west is pathetic so I can't see us NOT making the playoffs with how poor some teams below us have played all season. So, JB won't be trading any of the 3 mentioned for assets. He would risk losing 1 walk as a UFA if it meant playoff revenue for Aqua-spaghetti, line the owners pockets with some extra $ and keep your job a while longer.

Keep Marky. 

Return wont be much and he is a team guy and though replaceable via Aquaman’s cheque book (aka GM of the Year, Benning’s sweet cap allowance), he’s already a great goalie. 

Trade Tanev, if there are assets to gain and keep building a complete stable. Playoffs will be better when this team is dominant, though tempting now, as has been evident. 

Trade Virt. 

Extremely unpopular opinion, as usual, but strike while iron is hot on streaky Jake and his sudden emergence. Most likely, he will never be worth more due to his spike in production and attractive, but expiring contact. 

These are all complementary pieces, not core, not integral to the team’s future success. All of these players are replaceable via free agency, IMO. If... *if a good trade is there for JB on these guys, I hope he takes it and doesn’t instead get caught in the near future as a middling team that was too set on the present to adjust for the future. 

Either that, or load up and giver balls with Aquaman’s money on a window built with guys like Edler and Tanev, Sutter and Beagle being your key role players, as we approach the new core’s window. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

these might be the dumbest posts ive seen in forever sorry guys jakes going nowhere  hes gonna be our tom wilson in plsyoffs  if anything benning can trade leivo stecher motte for draft picks frees up 5mill. Plus tanev will be rights will be traded before july 1st tryamkin and rathbone will be signed for less.  The team will retain Markstrom but him or Demko will be traded before 21-22 season many teams will buy high on them. Demko and Depietro wouldbe a decent tandem to go with in 21-22 who knows. Also sutter eriksson baertchi can be buried in minors  if we really in a bad way im not worried.

Id offer these contracts:

Tanev- 3yr 4.75m per 

Markstrom- 3/4yr 6m per 

Virtanen- I go a bit riskier and give a longer term deal to... 6yr 3.5m per 

I always thought Markstrom would get an even higher offer as a UFA, but there is Cup winning Holtby that is going to be a UFA as well a some other very good G. So the market may not dictate him getting a kings ransom. I feel between Hellebuyck 6.16m cap hit and Gibson 6.4m those are what Marky's agent might bring up then add on some kind of percentage for inflation do to cap going up. I don't want to see us lock up Marky for a long deal as I feel this team could be very good for a long time and would prefer to have him here in the 3-4year range then let the younger Demko take over when our core is in our mid to late 20s

My reasoning for not wanting Marky here long term is I feel Demko could be a capable NHL #1, where the smaller Dipietro I feel will have a hard time being any more than maybe a back up if he ever makes it to the NHL. So signing Marky long term, means we likely are trading Demko which I am 110% against to keep the older goalie and risk the development of a "undersized" AHL rookie goalie

My ideal TDL:

Tanev to Toronto for a nice haul...

Tanev with an extension in place, we retain a bit to even salaries out for this year. Likely takes pay cut on his new deal for NMC/NTC protection and more term?

Gadjovich- given our wing depth of prospects he will be in tough to make our  line up, sell when he may still hold some value, give them a cheap contract going forward

for

Kapanen- speedy winger with some finish, our new Hansen? Could compliment the Horvat line well or play with Gaud and jump into top 6 when injury happens. Brock back to Bo's line. Jake/kapanen can rotate if needed when needed

Jesper Lindgren- rhd prospect, nothing fancy but its another rhd prospect to add to our depth

2020 Vegas 4th round pick

Laffs then promote Bracco to their NHL roster in a top 9 capacity

9 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

these might be the dumbest posts ive seen in forever sorry guys jakes going nowhere  hes gonna be our tom wilson in plsyoffs

Obviously you didn't watch Tom Wilson in the playoffs!

if anything benning can trade leivo stecher motte for draft picks frees up 5mill. Plus tanev will be rights will be traded before july 1st tryamkin and rathbone will be signed for less.

Tryamkin and Rathbone are hardly replacements for Tanev and Stecher.  Team defence takes a dip in effectiveness.

The team will retain Markstrom but him or Demko will be traded before 21-22 season many teams will buy high on them. Demko and Depietro wouldbe a decent tandem to go with in 21-22 who knows.

Absolutely nobody knows.

Also sutter eriksson baertchi can be buried in minors  if we really in a bad way im not worried.

There are restrictions on how many veteran players can be moved to the team's AHL team.  Also, the cap savings on these players is far less than their actual salaries

Imo, it's way to early to have this discussion.  There will likely be salary cap increase(s), buyout available and given JB's recent comments on the subject, I suspect the management team have a plan.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Not when we have all these overpaid, dead and unmovable contracts:

LE - 6M (Extremely overpaid)

Sutter - 4.38M (overpaid)

Baerchi - 2.29M (minors)

Luongo - 3.03M (recapture)

Spooner - 1.03M (buyout)

Ferlund - 3.5M (LTIR/long term questionable health/concussion issues)

Keeping all 3 is NOT going to happen! 

200.gif

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

these might be the dumbest posts ive seen in forever sorry guys jakes going nowhere  hes gonna be our tom wilson in plsyoffs  if anything benning can trade leivo stecher motte for draft picks frees up 5mill. Plus tanev will be rights will be traded before july 1st tryamkin and rathbone will be signed for less.  The team will retain Markstrom but him or Demko will be traded before 21-22 season many teams will buy high on them. Demko and Depietro wouldbe a decent tandem to go with in 21-22 who knows. Also sutter eriksson baertchi can be buried in minors  if we really in a bad way im not worried.

I don’t think you understand how the salary cap works. Some of those “buried” contracts you speak of still have considerable cap hit. 

Markstrom has been our MVP in most of the games this season. He is the least likely to be let go.

Jake is hot now. Now. We’ve seen how he goes and his numbers are inflated playing with Petey and Miller, allowing us  to get a more than fair return. Jake is like Anson Carter. He will never be worth what he gets in arbitration. 

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

Bingo....Leivo, Stecher, better options. Maybe Sutter. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Bingo....Leivo, Stecher, better options. Maybe Sutter. 

very true, plus we really should try to move sutter, Sven and LE if at all possible. Need to dump out cap space to pay the kids and still have some wiggle room to bring in a couple more pieces we will need to add to the team

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

very true, plus we really should try to move sutter, Sven and LE if at all possible. Need to dump out cap space to pay the kids and still have some wiggle room to bring in a couple more pieces we will need to add to the team

Exactly. Loui and Baer are gonza but realistically unmovable.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Exactly. Loui and Baer are gonza but realistically unmovable.

Baer is moveable with retention to a dumpster team like OTT.

LE could be moved imo with retention and maybe a sweetener, something we should really consider this off season imo

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Baer is moveable with retention to a dumpster team like OTT.

LE could be moved imo with retention and maybe a sweetener, something we should really consider this off season imo

Totally we should consider all options. I don't think there are realistic options but I'd love to be proven wrong.

10 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Given how well all 3 of these players are playing, they will command substantial salary increases when they become UFAs at the end of this year.

There is no way the Canucks can keep all 3.

Marky is being estimated to jump 5-6M 

Virtanen at around 4M and

Tanev at about 5M.

Who do you choose to let go? 

Do we trade that player at the TDL to recoup some value or keep him for the playoffs?

For me it’s simple. Virtanen is the one to go.

We have lots of forwards and the team needs Markstrom/Tanev more. I’m not sure about keeping Jake for the playoffs or unloading him for a younger prospect or 2nd rounder (I can’t see us getting much more).

Not sure if it's been said but, Virtanen expires as a RFA not UFA.