The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will replace these players? (Discussion/Synopsis)

I love player trade proposals, they are done just to pass the time of day. Some are good, and some are bad, but they do, on most occasions start conversations, that fill the day.

What came to me, was the question, of who will fill in these important positions and when.

Sitting in Jim Bening's position some are relatively answered, some are still very much in the air.

IMO, the following players fill in pivotal positions on the current Canuck's and will need replacing in the next 3 to 4 years, depending on injury and decline.

Who are their replacements? Is there an actual replacement in the system now?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob Markstrom (29 years old)…...It is unknown how long he can maintain his current high/elite/good goaltending status. Historically, goalies age out at 32 - 34 years of age.

Alex Edler (33 years old)…...Already 33 years old, Alex still plays a high level game, and the Canucks are a better team, with Alex in the line up

Chris Tanev (30 years old )……. Is there anyone better on the Canucks who can play a defensive game like Chris, is there anyone in the system? He is important!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob Markstrom's replacements

Well, Thatcher Demko, has been developed and playing on the big club for 2 years now. He has shown strong play most games, with the odd rookie game, falling off the rails. His development has been steady, and he IS the best young goalie in the system. Is he ready to take Jacob's place? Well, actually we don't know, as Travis Green the coach is not in the business to develop goaltenders, but to win games. He still feels Markstrom gives him the best chance. For how long? Is it for 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? Is there anyone past Demko in the system  that may have the ability to take over, if Markstrom plays at this level for that long? The question is, how long is Demko's window?

Enter, Michael DiPietro, does he have the ability to develop as Markstrom's back up for the next 5 years? Then start, as Markstrom starts to decline? Well, his numbers show he can through out his development. Yet he is a small goaltender that relies on athletic ability to stop the puck, over technic and size. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? I am not sure? My gut feeling, he is not a NHL starter, while Demko is/will be. He has proven sceptics like me wrong at every level. Either way, he is further off in his development. But is his time line better?

The Canucks have no other prospects that have shown consistent play at the junior or prospect level. IMO Jim Benning needs to address this issue now (2020 draft) for the long term health of that position. No, I do not think Silovs is it. Am I wrong? Time will tell.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Alex Edler's replacements

While Quinn Hughes definitely replaces Edler's offense, and then some! Who does the heavy lifting on the right side, when Alex goes? Now, Alex does not look ready to pack it in yet, but at 33 years of age, how long does he have, and who replaces him, when he goes? Benning does not have a lot of confidence past the 2020-2021 season, so what is his fall back plan.

Simply put, behind Hughes there is nothing proven. Olli Juolevi is still a project, and Jack Rathbone has not even been signed yet. But in any case, does either have the ability to play the heavy game Edler is demanded to do? Or can Nikita Tryamkin slide in and replace serious minutes, past the 2 years from now, and going forward? Or is he needed else where? All and all, the second or heavy lifting required by a 2nd pairing defenseman is still up in the air. Are they still making big mobile Dman? Hughes fills one hole, and another begins......is there anyone

who can take Edler's spot on a cup contending team? I am not sure there is. I am sure glad Benning resigned Edler. 

Past the 3 un-provens in Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rackbone, I do not think there is much hope in Sautner or Brisebois stepping in and taking those minutes. The words, "you never know what you lost until its gone" rings loud!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Tanev's replacements

Strangely enough, replacing this highly regarded, and much respected defensive defenseman, who is still a worry, even with the addition of Myers, and Tryamkin, Rafferty and Woo coming in behind Tanev. Tryamkin could be the man for this job, "IF" he has matured at all in the KHL. He is a big "IF"! He could definitely be the guy, or not? First he has to get here! Secondly, he has to prove he can handle it. He is a coin flip! 

Rafferty, is not a Defensive Defenceman, and his plus minus is a result of his offense, which is totally unproven at the NHL level. Could he change the outlook of the right side, well, yes. But he may be a none starter, and never prove to be anything other than a solid AHL defenseman. He needs a call up, it he is to be considered.

Myers has added stability to the right side, but he is no Tanev. Could he be Tanev's replacement? Yes, but we would suffer to some extent, so hopefully, one of Tryamkin or Rafferty can be more a plus then, much for gotten and maligned Troy Stecher, who will probably moved before the summer (don't expect much of a return), because of cap reasons, and Tryankin's possible return.

Woo, who is still in junior's and having a not so stellar, senior year (assuming he goes to Utica next year and doesn't stay one more year), will be another 2 to 3 years, in Utica, and not considering the possibility that he does not progress enough to ever make it, can not be counted on for another couple of years after this one before being promoted to the big club. If ever!

Very un-proven at the pro level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusions

Although, we have prospects in various positions to come in and replace these outstanding players, there is no certainty, that any of them can, and in both Edler's and Tanev's cases, there is no one replacement that is standing out as a sure thing. One thing for sure, is that all the named players should be brought in and given some short term meaningful minutes, if not just to take a snap shot of the players development at this time.

When weighing out the 3 veteran players (Markstrom/Edler/Tanev), they represent 3 of our most important players, and obviously are not easily replaceable. This brings me to todays team, and where Benning and Aqualini's position on the playoffs are. Benning has repeatedly said that he wants the playoffs this year, and to this end, Benning is pushing in that direction. The playoffs are easier reached with all 3 still in Vancouver, so I do not see any movement on any of them. As there is not much chance that any of them could be replaced in the next 2 to 3 years, and with both Markstrom and Tanev's contracts due, this summer, Benning will due all in his power to re-sign both.

The curious question is, with Markstrom, Tanev, and Virtanen's contracts coming up this summer, and Hughes and Pettersson's contracts up the following year, the question is whether Tryamkin, will re-sign here, considering the cap squeeze.

With Schaller and Stecher not re-upped, it will save a $4,250,000, with another estimated $2,000,000 coming from an increased cap, the Canucks will have approximately $6,250,000

to give Markstrom ( 1.750 million raise), Tanev (1 million raise), Virtanen (1.250 million raise), leaving Tryamkin about $2,250,000 million to sign with. Gaudette, will get a 10% qualifying raise at this time.

Benning is banking on a lot of contract coming off the year after, With Sutter $4.3M, Baertschi's $2.3M and Eriksson's $6.0M coming off the books somehow, as well as loosing a player to Seattle and a cap increase, making enough to sign Hughes, Pettersson, Demko and possibly Pearson

Bottom line

Benning will re-sign Markstrom and Tanev, and there will be no major trades, until there are proven replacements, which will need to be established over the next 1 to 2 years. Is there any replacements now...…….no confirmed ones, that is for sure!

Let's hope our prospects develop and hit their ceiling (It sure underscores the need for a solid player development program, that is for sure! And the need for ELC's)

All moves are connected!

Sorry for the long read! (My usual long drool!)

Edited by janisahockeynut

I hope that Mr.Olli Juolevi can step up and be that guy,a 6ft 3in guy on defense with good hockey skills will help back there.

For me this is the position that needs to be drafted the most, big skilled, fast, hard as nails defensemen who knock people on their cans in front of the net and brings some two way skills all the way to our first ever NORRIS TROPHY winning player.

Most Stanley Cup winners have had a least one of these guys,we need to get someone who is skilled like Hughes, but big enough to crush people when he has the chance.

Wouldn't we all just love a guy like that as fans of the Canucks,I KNOW I SURE WOULD..

I wouldn't mind re-signing Tanev for a couple years but would you want to give him more term than that? You know he's going to want more. We could trade him right now or possibly watch him walk if he doesn't like the offer he gets next year as a free agent.

And what will Markstrom want next  year?

If we can hang on to all three of those mentioned for 2 or 3 more years though the team should be in a better bargaining position at that time.

In time, Juolevi will replace Edler. In the near term, he has to supercede Fantenburg at 3LHD.  Not a small task either. Fantenburg is playing great! Playing so well, we may not bring back Tryamkin.  The big gomer is the most obvious trade candidate we have. Benn 2knd most.

Rafferty may deserve a call up. Do we need a righty PMD to stir up offense? I am not sure he can replace Stecher in handling 2knd tier defensive match ups. But if you want offense you give Rafferty that shot! 

The bigger question: Can Myers or or Stecher handle Tanev's defensive role? I dont think Myers can. If Stecher is able? Rafferty is a natural call up to QB our 2knd PP, play sheltered minutes to drive depth scoring! And Tanev is allowed to walk UFA this summer. I believe that is actually the plan. One I am nervous about! One that also may allow Tryamkin a depth role. If he does not grumble about it. Get traded, as suggested above. Rafferty, but no Tanev would trigger an uptempo almost harlem globe trotter style game. One which would also suit D Rathbone. Our play style may change. Run and gun baby! 

Demko will eventually succeed Marky.

Edler and Tanev and Markstrom will be replaced in time..

Juolevi 21, 6'2, will be a solid #2 D man in the next 2 years..Maybe play some games this year, should be in Vancouver soon..

Briebois 22, 6'2 will also turn into a top #3 D man very soon also..

Woo 19, 6'0 will be a very good D man as well in 2-3 years future # 3 D man

Rafferty 24, will be a regular D man next season #4 D.

We have Demko and Dipietro .

Demko 24, 6'3 future #1 very soon....Jim will trade either Markstrom or Demko and get a very good return before Seattle enters league..

Dipietro 20,  first pro season having a good year in Utica.....

Future is bright and exciting, lots of very good prospects..

Edited by wildcam

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I actually see either Brisebois or Utunen as a target to replace Tanev. Brisebois I think is much closer to NHL of course,  but I think Utunen might have the highest ceiling as a defensive player. 

Isn't it great that these 2 minor league left hand Defensemen can switch it up and play RHD in the NHL...….Tanev is a RHD isn't he?

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Edler and Tanev and Markstrom will be replaced in time..

Juolevi 21, 6'2, will be a solid #2 D man in the next 2 years..Maybe play some games this year, should be in Vancouver soon..

Briebois 22, 6'2 will also turn into a top #3 D man very soon also..

Woo 19, 6'0 will be a very good D man as well in 2-3 years future # 3 D man

Rafferty 24, will be a regular D man next season #4 D.

We have Demko and Dipietro .

Demko 24, 6'3 future #1 very soon....Jim will trade either Markstrom or Demko and get a very good return before Seattle enters league..

Dipietro 20,  first pro season having a good year in Utica.....

Future is bright and exciting, lots of very good prospects..

I think you are missing the point on Edler...…...he is 6'3" and 212 lbs

Joulevi is 183 lbs

Brisebois is 175 lbs

Sure they are tall...………….and skinny!

And I am not saying they will not push for that position, it is just the 30 to 35 pounds that is missing in the equation...….

48 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are missing the point on Edler...…...he is 6'3" and 212 lbs

Joulevi is 183 lbs

Brisebois is 175 lbs

Sure they are tall...………….and skinny!

And I am not saying they will not push for that position, it is just the 30 to 35 pounds that is missing in the equation...….

OJ is listed at 198 here- https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187471

• Cheers 1

Vague answer incoming, but the in regards to the two defensemen, their "replacements" simply aren't apparent yet. Any number of things could happen over the next few years. We have a glut of strong forward prospects in our system. Perhaps we move one or two of them for defensmen or defensive prospects of similar caliber.

Perhaps they're in our system and just haven't made the leap yet. After a slow start, Woo has been doing much better as of late and could still theoretically be the one to take on Edler's role in a few years.

Perhaps the "replacements" are free agent signings. Ehroff and Hamhuis were free agent signings and became integral parts of our D core. 

Or perhaps we'll simply have a D core that's structured differently than D cores we've had in the past, with more emphasis on offense. 

• Cheers 1

Here’s how I see things playing out over these next few years:

1) Markstrom is here to stay.  The Canucks will surrender term to get Marky to agree to a below market value cap hit.   Dipietro *might* become the replacement way down the road.  Demko will eventually be moved as a sweetener to move Eriksson, If Eriksson doesn’t retire after this season.   Marky will get a 6 year deal.

2) Tanev is here to stay.  Again - the Canucks will surrender term so that the AAV stays low. Tanev will get a 3 year deal.

3) Rafferty replaces Stecher.  Stecher will be moved for a draft pick in the off-season, or will not be qualified.

4) Tryamkin replaces Fantenberg.  

5) Schaller gets replaced by MacEwan or a large minimum contract.

6) Baertschi will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.

7) Sutter will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.  Gaudette has already replaced Sutter.

8) Jamie Benn gets traded in the off season for a draft pick.  Is replaced by a league minimum contract, or by someone like Guillame Brisebois.

9) Pearson or Roussel will be moved or unsigned to make room for Hoglander when Hoglander is ready.

10) Tyler Myers will be exposed in the Expansion draft.