The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will replace these players? (Discussion/Synopsis)

22 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Here’s how I see things playing out over these next few years:

1) Markstrom is here to stay.  The Canucks will surrender term to get Marky to agree to a below market value cap hit.   Dipietro *might* become the replacement way down the road.  Demko will eventually be moved as a sweetener to move Eriksson, If Eriksson doesn’t retire after this season.   Marky will get a 6 year deal.

2) Tanev is here to stay.  Again - the Canucks will surrender term so that the AAV stays low. Tanev will get a 3 year deal.

3) Rafferty replaces Stecher.  Stecher will be moved for a draft pick in the off-season, or will not be qualified.

4) Tryamkin replaces Fantenberg.  

5) Schaller gets replaced by MacEwan or a large minimum contract.

6) Baertschi will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.

7) Sutter will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.  Gaudette has already replaced Sutter.

8) Jamie Benn gets traded in the off season for a draft pick.  Is replaced by a league minimum contract, or by someone like Guillame Brisebois.

9) Pearson or Roussel will be moved or unsigned to make room for Hoglander when Hoglander is ready.

10) Tyler Myers will be exposed in the Expansion draft.

Define “below market value” 

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Cool, mine was from Capfriendly. certainly closer, by still light for dealing with the big boys

So, a dcore of roughly 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi  Woo

Tryamkin Rafferty

Would have trouble handling the big boys?

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Vague answer incoming, but the in regards to the two defensemen, their "replacements" simply aren't apparent yet. Any number of things could happen over the next few years. We have a glut of strong forward prospects in our system. Perhaps we move one or two of them for defensmen or defensive prospects of similar caliber.

Perhaps they're in our system and just haven't made the leap yet. After a slow start, Woo has been doing much better as of late and could still theoretically be the one to take on Edler's role in a few years.

Perhaps the "replacements" are free agent signings. Ehroff and Hamhuis were free agent signings and became integral parts of our D core. 

Or perhaps we'll simply have a D core that's structured differently than D cores we've had in the past, with more emphasis on offense. 

Ehrhoff was not a UFA he was traded as a cap dump along with Brad lukowich from SJS.

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Here’s how I see things playing out over these next few years:

1) Markstrom is here to stay.  The Canucks will surrender term to get Marky to agree to a below market value cap hit.   Dipietro *might* become the replacement way down the road.  Demko will eventually be moved as a sweetener to move Eriksson, If Eriksson doesn’t retire after this season.   Marky will get a 6 year deal.

2) Tanev is here to stay.  Again - the Canucks will surrender term so that the AAV stays low. Tanev will get a 3 year deal.

3) Rafferty replaces Stecher.  Stecher will be moved for a draft pick in the off-season, or will not be qualified.

4) Tryamkin replaces Fantenberg.  

5) Schaller gets replaced by MacEwan or a large minimum contract.

6) Baertschi will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.

7) Sutter will get moved at 50% retention in the off-season for a draft pick.  Gaudette has already replaced Sutter.

8) Jamie Benn gets traded in the off season for a draft pick.  Is replaced by a league minimum contract, or by someone like Guillame Brisebois.

9) Pearson or Roussel will be moved or unsigned to make room for Hoglander when Hoglander is ready.

10) Tyler Myers will be exposed in the Expansion draft.

1) Nothing is written in stone as of yet for marky, who knows maybe he gets hurt and demko goes on to dominate in the playoffs, win the conn smythe and the cup.

Do you still move him as a cost controlled asset ? Or move the older returning from injury marky?

2) Tanev is here to stay unless say Pittsburgh comes calling or T.O. perhaps. If it costs 5-6 million per year for tanev and say 8 mill per for pietrangelo who do you chose?

3) agreed

4) agreed

5) agreed

6) hopefully zero retention as its only 1 year left.

7) hopefully zero retention as its only 1 year left.

8) Jamie Benn is in dallas, i think you mean jordie. Doubt he gets moved as he was sold on the idea of playing in Vancouver.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Fantenberg Stecher 

Benn 

Tryamkin and Joulevi replace Fantenberg and Stecher next year.

Tanev is still unknown at this point, but another top 4 rhd is needed for next year.

9) Pearson, Leivo, Schaller, Motte, Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, Goldobin will all be moved before hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind are ready for NHL minutes.

2 years..

Miller Pettersson Virtanen 

Podkolzin Horvat Hoglander

Ferland Gaudette Lind

Roussell Beagle Macewan

:wub:

10) That's false, Myers signed in Vancouver at a discount(yes) because he lives in kelowna and his wife's family is here.

Way to chase away future UFA"s or have trouble re signing RFA"s.

Doesn't he have a NMC?

He has a NMC this year and a modified NTC for the duration of contract.

And no Myers makes 6million per year, not 6.6 as someone else stated.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Bead lukowich

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Define “below market value” 

Signing a player to an AAV contract that would be lower than what he’d get on the open market.  Said player agrees to a contract like this due to other factors and benefits (ie favorable term, playing with the expectation that he’d be playing for a contender and as result, is willing to help his team save money to sign other players that would also take slightly less money, etc.). 

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

So, a dcore of roughly 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi  Woo

Tryamkin Rafferty

Would have trouble handling the big boys?

Ehrhoff was not a UFA he was traded as a cap dump along with Brad lukowich from SJS.

1) Nothing is written in stone as of yet for marky, who knows maybe he gets hurt and demko goes on to dominate in the playoffs, win the conn smythe and the cup.

Do you still move him as a cost controlled asset ? Or move the older returning from injury marky?

2) Tanev is here to stay unless say Pittsburgh comes calling or T.O. perhaps. If it costs 5-6 million per year for tanev and say 8 mill per for pietrangelo who do you chose?

3) agreed

4) agreed

5) agreed

6) hopefully zero retention as its only 1 year left.

7) hopefully zero retention as its only 1 year left.

8) Jamie Benn is in dallas, i think you mean jordie. Doubt he gets moved as he was sold on the idea of playing in Vancouver.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Fantenberg Stecher 

Benn 

Tryamkin and Joulevi replace Fantenberg and Stecher next year.

Tanev is still unknown at this point, but another top 4 rhd is needed for next year.

9) Pearson, Leivo, Schaller, Motte, Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, Goldobin will all be moved before hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind are ready for NHL minutes.

2 years..

Miller Pettersson Virtanen 

Podkolzin Horvat Hoglander

Ferland Gaudette Lind

Roussell Beagle Macewan

:wub:

10) That's false, Myers signed in Vancouver at a discount(yes) because he lives in kelowna and his wife's family is here.

Way to chase away future UFA"s or have trouble re signing RFA"s.

Doesn't he have a NMC?

He has a NMC this year and a modified NTC for the duration of contract.

And no Myers makes 6million per year, not 6.6 as someone else stated.

Ahhhh yes I meant Jordie.   :-p.    I actually know this but just had a mental lapse while typing.

Just now, DarkIndianRises said:

Signing a player to an AAV contract that would be lower than what he’d get on the open market.  Said player agrees to a contract like this due to other factors and benefits (ie favorable term, playing with the expectation that he’d be playing for a contender and as result, is willing to help his team save money to sign other players that would also take slightly less money, etc.). 

Yes. I know. I’m wondering what you think he’d realistically sign for.  I didn’t need the remedial explanation 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Yes. I know. I’m wondering what you think he’d realistically sign for.  I didn’t need the remedial explanation 

LOL.

well ok then.  My bad.

Unfortunately, your guess is as good as mine. If the Canucks surrender term (ie  dish out an unfavorable term.....somewhere along the lines of 6-7 years), then I think we could have Markstrom at around 5.75-6 million, but I honestly have no idea).   

On the flip side of this, I think the Canucks would be looking at 6.5-7 million if we have put a term 5 years or less.  

Again though - I’m just guessing.

14 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

LOL.

well ok then.  My bad.

Unfortunately, your guess is as good as mine. If the Canucks surrender term (ie  dish out an unfavorable term.....somewhere along the lines of 6-7 years), then I think we could have Markstrom at around 5.75-6 million, but I honestly have no idea).   

On the flip side of this, I think the Canucks would be looking at 6.5-7 million if we have put a term 5 years or less.  

Again though - I’m just guessing.

Ok. I was just curious as to how realistic you were being with regards to his contract. Seems like you’re pretty on top of it actually. I’ve seen other posters suggest he’d sign for $5m. There’s even been a suggestion that he’d be willing to sign a 1 year deal. Which is completely unrealistic. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 1