The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Feb. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Better believe it. We shouldn't be satisfied until we have playoff success, a 14-3 run is cute but when it comes down to it, late in the game in the playoffs, we need to be able to hold on to leads and push. Blowing another 3-1 lead is pathetic.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, we've blown leads all year long. You could argue that the modern day NHL allows for more goals and comebacks, but if we play like this with a lead in the playoffs we're going to get spanked the way Tampa and Florida destroyed us.

So to answer your question no, we shouldn't be satisfied with regular season success. Yes, this season's goal was to make the playoffs but looking at how weak and tight the Pacific is, why stop at there?

Contradictions galore.

Be a fan, be happy, cheer, or just bitch miserably 

Go Canucks go

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

My thoughts about this game....

just looked to see if NHL changed the scoring on Miller’s goal to add assists. Nope.  That is a joke and we all know if it was a NYI goal, there would be 2 assists on the play. 

tying goal was a total fluke, but it happens. They didn’t really give up any high quality scoring chances during the last 10 minutes of the game. Kept the play on the outside and Marky could see all of the shots.  They didn’t get down and then the kid took over. Even if OT was 5on 5 I feel like they would have found a way to win. 

I saw first hand 4 years up close of Green’s style of coaching and it is showing itself now. With the depth he has and his style of sending waves of lines to wear down the opponents it’s all coming together. You wouldn’t think you can play playoff hockey style all year, but that is how this team plays, and it will do them well if they get in. (Looking better and better every day)

Marky. What can you say. He finally learned how to goaltend. Was so hyped when he was drafted, but as you all know it takes time to develop as a goalie. I don’t think this years all star game will be his last. 

Love the next man up mentality. Schiller comes in and scores. 

hard to justify since they are winning, but I would love to see Bailey in the lineup today. He’s been so good in Utica, and with his speed I would like to see him in.  Maybe get Benn in a game to to rest someone. 

that is all. Will be a tough game today but they’ve got this! Go Nucks! 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, cory40 said:

I have bad news for you then. Quinn will win the Calder because he is better suited for the long season with his effortless skating!  

Been saying this for a while... Makar has to adjust to a much longer season.  

Hughes' skating doesn't seem to tire him out at all.  Green also manages minutes well.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

This Hughes kid is unreal. How can a player play like this? His skating is so good that you almost think he never stops moving his feet. He can beat you easy with just one change of stride and no one can do anything, absolutely nothing about it. I honestly wouldn’t trade him for anyone at this point, kid could be a legendary defenseman for us and we’ve never had anyone like that ever. 

Is Maker really better than Hughes? I haven’t seen many Avs games lately. Saw a couple earlier on in the season but don’t quite recall how Maker plays. 

Yes indeed. Wasn't it about this time last season when EP began to show the strain of a long NHL season? The closest player(s) to have ever skated so effortlessly, Coffey, Orr, and Housley, were unbelievable. Quinn Hughes is damn close to that skill level, and after all the angst of playing a full NHL season is showing no signs of slowing down. His confidence is off the map, and having never seen him play a college game, many were saying he didn't have an NHL shot. He hits the net most of the time, that's all you can ask, but now they're starting to go in. That wrister is sneaky quick, and accurate. I will add one more thing, thank the hockey gods for a healthy Chris Tanev this season. People want to move Tanev at the deadline??? I don't get it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

dont really understand why there were no assists on millers goal. that should have been a second assist for hughes i believe. for a 20th something 1st round pick miller is a jackpot for jb. fits his description of obtaining some players who are ready to go right now compared to developing through the system for several years. sort of the player i thought mathew boldy might have been before we scored podkolzin only miller is on steroids compared to boldy regarding offence, physical ability and wheels

12 minutes ago, granpappy said:

oh and just a thought not that i would even dream of him not playing the back end but i cant help wondering what hughes would be like as a forward. some of his skills and vision are reminiscent of the great one

True but regardless he's way more valuable as defencemen 

15 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yup, the Canucks are on a roll. Here are some comments. 

1. I would not say the Isles "should have won." Like the last two wins, it was a close game that good have gone either way. The Isles outshot the Canucks but Natural Stat Trick had the high danger chances close at 10 to 8 for the Isles. And the Corsi chart was pretty close until the Isles, as the "chasing team", had a lot of shot attempts in the second half of the third period while the Canucks were trying to protect a one goal lead on the road. I would give the Canucks credit for playing a good game against a good team despite jet lag and playing in the what was still morning on their biological clocks. 

2. Hughes was obviously the star of the game (again) with two great goals and an excellent play on Miller's goal. As 1-d says, calling Miller's goal unassisted is ridiculous, although the assists should go to Tanev and Virtanen. (Maybe the official scoring will change.)  But the guy who did the most to make that play work was Hughes. As is consistent with Tystick's comment, Hughes seemed to be dangerous every time he was on the ice. And he is playing better defence than a lot of people (including me) expected. He certainly does not get "protected" minutes any more. The Calder is a two-man race and I would say Hughes is ahead at this stage. 

3. The Horvat line (with Eriksson and Pearson) was hard-matched in a shutdown role against Barzal and Trotz seemed willing to accept that matchup. In a change from recent games, the Horvat line did not win the shutdown battle. They were ok, but not great, going -2 (including giving up a goal when the Isles pulled their goal). And Horvat lost the faceoff battle for once. Still, their overall shutdown record in the last 20 games has been great and there is nothing "broke" that needs to be "fixed" about that line.

4. The Boeser situation is far from settled. He played a little over 4 minutes with Gaudette and a little over 4 minutes with EP, and over 2 minutes with Horvat. When Boeser played with Gaudette, it was hard to notice him and he did not generate anything close to a good scoring chance. But when he played with Pettersson he looked good, getting into the play, making good decisions, and picking up assist on the first Hughes goal. He also made two bad defensive plays on the 2nd Islander goal -- a bad pass to Fantenberg in his own zone that led to a  dump-out that NY turned around and then failing to check his man effectively as NY re-entered the Canuck zone. And he made some other poor defensive plays that I noticed. But Jake is also a lot better playing with EP than he is with Gaudette. I expect further experimentation by Green on this point. 

5. The Canucks had no powerplays. The referees let a lot go on both teams. So I was surprised to see Barzal get the diving call -- the only penalty called against the Isles. It was an obvious and literal dive as Barzal pushed off his skate and dove onto the ice. But there is diving every game and it rarely gets called. 

6. Myers led the D in ice-time, which surprised me, as I thought he made some questionable defensive plays, including on two of the Isles' goals, And he had the worst Corsi on the team despite playing easier minutes than the other two RDs. 

7. Pettersson did not get a lot of attention from the media or on CDC, but I thought he was very good again. There is a reason he leads the team in +/-. Not only is he very dangerous with the puck, he is excellent without the puck. He set up a screen for Tanev's shot on the first goal, and I saw several occasions where he was able to maintain position on this check in a high danger area and prevent a scoring chance -- very similar to plays on which Boeser and Myers lost position. And he had a hit and a shot block. Pettersson just does everything at a high level and he does it consistently.

8. Still not a big Sutter fan, but he is helping the team and played an important role, including make a nice play on Schaller's goal I expect Schaller to stay in the lineup as long as the Canucks keep winning, after which I expect Bailey to get a shot. 

8. Finally, credit to Murph for a high quality interview with Benning after the first period. Murph does not have an agenda but he asked all the key questions and did not waste time. I think he is another guy who has really improved his performance over time. Of course, Benning did not give away much new information in his answers, but Murph asked the right questions, including the injury status of Motte and Ferland (who is scheduled to play in Utica next weekend on a rehad assignment if things go well this week. Murph also asked about deadline moves (we'll see how thing looks when the time comes), re-signing Marky (talking to him), re-signing Brackett (talking to him), and a few other things. I was kind of surprised that Benning was very restrained in his praise of Brackett. 

9. Great to see the Canucks win again. It would nice to put some distance between themselves and some of the chasing teams instead of always being neck and neck. 

Hughes is getting a lot of accolades right now and fair enough. That said it is his rookie season and a lot of teams are being taken by surprise just like Petey did last year. Hughes has to be a nightmare coming down on you as his mobility and willingness to drive deep causes all sorts of problems for defenders. 

I high lighted Petterssen because this is his 2nd season and his development continues to drive upwards. Talk about a 200' game. He dominates many games. IMHO 

EP40-Miller-Hughes see the game at another level. All three are extraordinary.     

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, granpappy said:

dont really understand why there were no assists on millers goal. that should have been a second assist for hughes i believe. for a 20th something 1st round pick miller is a jackpot for jb. fits his description of obtaining some players who are ready to go right now compared to developing through the system for several years. sort of the player i thought mathew boldy might have been before we scored podkolzin only miller is on steroids compared to boldy regarding offence, physical ability and wheels

Actually it would likely be Jake and Tanev getting the assists.

Just an observation on the fourth line. I wonder why it is that they seem to be the worst on the team for getting out of the defensive zone. Is it the D pairing with them? Beagle or Sutter win most of the draws, well over 55% of the time, yet they often get trapped into the fire drill after that. I'm going to watch who gets paired with them more often, but no matter how hard they work, they seem to spend more than enough time in their own end. Don't get me wrong, a healthy Beagle and Sutter from now until near the beginning of June would be huge for this team.

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Just an observation on the fourth line. I wonder why it is that they seem to be the worst on the team for getting out of the defensive zone. Is it the D pairing with them? Beagle or Sutter win most of the draws, well over 55% of the time, yet they often get trapped into the fire drill after that. I'm going to watch who gets paired with them more often, but no matter how hard they work, they seem to spend more than enough time in their own end. Don't get me wrong, a healthy Beagle and Sutter from now until near the beginning of June would be huge for this team.

My observation would be the number of times Schaller turned the puck in the NYI game. All experienced NHL'ers on that line. With less than 5 left in the game chipping the puck out along the boards is in order versus passing in the d-zone. I like Beagle and Sutter and a little less love for Schaller. 

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hughes is getting a lot of accolades right now and fair enough. That said it is his rookie season and a lot of teams are being taken by surprise just like Petey did last year. Hughes has to be a nightmare coming down on you as his mobility and willingness to drive deep causes all sorts of problems for defenders. 

I high lighted Petterssen because this is his 2nd season and his development continues to drive upwards. Talk about a 200' game. He dominates many games. IMHO 

EP40-Miller-Hughes see the game at another level. All three are extraordinary.     

Did anyone else see that exchange between Green and Pettersson on the bench with Green leaning right into his ear?

I thought he looked like he was saying something Petey didn't want to hear very much.

Then Pettersson looked like he was agreeing but only tacitly, like, "I'll say yes, but I know the right thing to do" or something like that.

The next shift, while Miller was on the dot and Petey was at the edge of the circle for the face-off, Miller went out of his way to tell Petey something.

Again, I don't think he liked what Miller was saying and did not want to do what he was told and Miller was even more forceful than Green.

Then Petey looked like he went and lined up where Miller told him to.

After the draw, it seemed to me that Petey was the closest to the puck as it headed towards the end boards/corner and got possession.

All 4 of them are very smart (I added Green to your 3) so I would be most interested to learn what was going on there.

Anybody else see this?  Not see it like this?  Too much PVR for me?

I'm no lipreader, but I thought Green said "next time you have the puck on your stick, shoot it.  You're  beginning to look like Henrik"

Petey nodded, and replied "1070 points playing that way isn't too shabby.  How many did you get in your career? 455?"

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Did anyone else see that exchange between Green and Pettersson on the bench with Green leaning right into his ear?

I thought he looked like he was saying something Petey didn't want to hear very much.

Then Pettersson looked like he was agreeing but only tacitly, like, "I'll say yes, but I know the right thing to do" or something like that.

The next shift, while Miller was on the dot and Petey was at the edge of the circle for the face-off, Miller went out of his way to tell Petey something.

Again, I don't think he liked what Miller was saying and did not want to do what he was told and Miller was even more forceful than Green.

Then Petey looked like he went and lined up where Miller told him to.

After the draw, it seemed to me that Petey was the closest to the puck as it headed towards the end boards/corner and got possession.

All 4 of them are very smart (I added Green to your 3) so I would be most interested to learn what was going on there.

Anybody else see this?  Not see it like this?  Too much PVR for me?

Interesting observation. I can't say that I saw that. Petey never seems to get very expressive. Miller on the otherhand is way more aggressive. I think his influence on the younger players will be felt for years. Miller walks the walk and has to have a lot of cred in the group. Miller was also on the TBay team when a serious CUP contender. Lots of experience. 

Travis Green learned his hockey in Castlegar &Trail. Hockey in the West Kootenays  was greatly influenced by the SmokeEater vets who played on the senior team that played internationally before the pros were let in. Some very smart players in that group. Almost 1000 NHL games with Al Arbour hs first NHL coach. Lots of cred. 

• -AJ- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting observation. I can't say that I saw that. Petey never seems to get very expressive. Miller on the otherhand is way more aggressive. I think his influence on the younger players will be felt for years. Miller walks the walk and has to have a lot of cred in the group. Miller was also on the TBay team when a serious CUP contender. Lots of experience. 

Travis Green learned his hockey in Castlegar &Trail. Hockey in the West Kootenays  was greatly influenced by the SmokeEater vets who played on the senior team that played internationally before the pros were let in. Some very smart players in that group. Almost 1000 NHL games with Al Arbour hs first NHL coach. Lots of cred. 

Good comments thanks; also great to remember the history (SmokeEaters, Arbour, Green).

Miller really checks all  the boxes, intellect, attitude, size and weight, speed, shot, leadership, etc.  (If Bo wasn't captain..)

Petey and Hughes are illuminating everyone in hockey.

Green seems to be smart enough to know how to push each individual's buttons, e.g. Virtanen, Pearson, etc.

I think he tends to let Pettersson and Hughes pretty much do their thing (that's kinda why I found this incident interesting).

6 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Contradictions galore.

Be a fan, be happy, cheer, or just bitch miserably 

Go Canucks go

We are top 10 in the league, 2nd in the conference, just beat two of the best teams in the NHL (STL, NYI) in the past week, and people find things to complain about.  If anyone had said this is where we would be when the season started, they would have been laughed at.  We should just be sitting back, laughing, and enjoying every minute of this.  We are at least two years ahead of where I really thought we wold be.

Every team in the new NHL has warts, nobody is perfect.  Closest thing to perfect I have seen in recent years was our 2011 team, and last years Tbay team, neither won.  We are far from perfect, but built well.  Our path to the WCF will be winning against 2 of Calgary, Edmonton, Vegas, or Phoenix.  This is quickly turning into a very special season, and one in which JB's vision of the team is starting to come together.

12 hours ago, BCNate said:

We are top 10 in the league, 2nd in the conference, just beat two of the best teams in the NHL (STL, NYI) in the past week, and people find things to complain about.  If anyone had said this is where we would be when the season started, they would have been laughed at.  We should just be sitting back, laughing, and enjoying every minute of this.  We are at least two years ahead of where I really thought we wold be.

Every team in the new NHL has warts, nobody is perfect.  Closest thing to perfect I have seen in recent years was our 2011 team, and last years Tbay team, neither won.  We are far from perfect, but built well.  Our path to the WCF will be winning against 2 of Calgary, Edmonton, Vegas, or Phoenix.  This is quickly turning into a very special season, and one in which JB's vision of the team is starting to come together.

No $&!# buddy, you nailed it here. 

Go Canucks go

All you fire the coach clowns need to man up or go away

On 2/2/2020 at 11:11 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Better believe it. We shouldn't be satisfied until we have playoff success, a 14-3 run is cute but when it comes down to it, late in the game in the playoffs, we need to be able to hold on to leads and push. Blowing another 3-1 lead is pathetic.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, we've blown leads all year long. You could argue that the modern day NHL allows for more goals and comebacks, but if we play like this with a lead in the playoffs we're going to get spanked the way Tampa and Florida destroyed us.

So to answer your question no, we shouldn't be satisfied with regular season success. Yes, this season's goal was to make the playoffs but looking at how weak and tight the Pacific is, why stop at there?

Wow, I hope you are remotely this hard on yourself but for the sake of all I hope you have neither kids or pets as clearly no one could live up to your standards.