The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes closer to the Calder, Currently sits Number 1 in points

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

For me, I am very happy for another rookie who is knocking at the Calder Award,just like Petey last year.

Quinn Hughes deserves nothing but the best for his outstanding play,he has changed the Canucks team for the better and has single handedly made our defense so much better.

5 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

For me, I am very happy for another rookie who is knocking at the Calder Award,just like Petey last year.

Quinn Hughes deserves nothing but the best for his outstanding play,he has changed the Canucks team for the better and has single handedly made our defense so much better.

Take him out of the lineup and we are back to hoping for the playoffs!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hughes is playing big minutes and probably averaging less than one major turnover or even error per game...doing what he is doing...and solid on D. to boot.

Makar is parked...

yep even Hughes said today he gets only better after Christmas  ,  Image result for Funny Bear On a Bike

• Upvote 1

If Makar can keep up his near PPG pace and be a plus player he might take it even with the games missed. If he cools off even a bit it might be Hughes's trophy.

It could be a coin toss at this point. I'd hate to be the people who have to vote on this. Either choice you're gonna be wrong to a lot of people.

Feel free to post the numbers in their entirety instead of just straight point totals. Makar has 41 games played (42 after tonight) and Hughes has 51 games played. Makar has 11 goals, Hughes has 8. Goals generally hold more weight than assists. For Hughes to win this award, at this rate Makar would need to be injured again. Having 1 more point with 9 more games played isn't exactly working in Hughes favour. Love Hughes but Makar would need to fall off relatively significantly point wise to even this up. Or get injured, which I hope he doesn't. He's a lot of fun to watch. If Hughes can go on a really big run with points I could see him take the lead. It can be a good race. But for my money I'd have Makar 1 and Hughes 2.

And I know people are gonna get up in their feels cause I am not 100% pro Canucks all the time in every single thing. But I just personally see Makar having the better rookie season so far. It's okay. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

right from my OP

What was holding Hughes back was he was not scoring goals

Holding back from what?   What on earth was it holding him back from?    He is already showing signs of being the single best ever Canuck rookie Dman - isn't that enough?

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Feel free to post the numbers in their entirety instead of just straight point totals. Makar has 41 games played (42 after tonight) and Hughes has 51 games played. Makar has 11 goals, Hughes has 8. Goals generally hold more weight than assists. For Hughes to win this award, at this rate Makar would need to be injured again. Having 1 more point with 9 more games played isn't exactly working in Hughes favour. Love Hughes but Makar would need to fall off relatively significantly point wise to even this up. Or get injured, which I hope he doesn't. He's a lot of fun to watch. If Hughes can go on a really big run with points I could see him take the lead. It can be a good race. But for my money I'd have Makar 1 and Hughes 2.

And I know people are gonna get up in their feels cause I am not 100% pro Canucks all the time in every single thing. But I just personally see Makar having the better rookie season so far. It's okay. 

They're both insanely skilled players. Who woulda thunk that two rookie defenceman would be running this Calder race?

Two years earlier, it was Boeser/Barzal. Last year, it was Pettersson/Dahlin (defenseman) and Binnington. The latter two were not 'expected' to win. Aside from Olafsson, no one else comes close to this year's defensemen.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

They're both insanely skilled players. Who woulda thunk that two rookie defenceman would be running this Calder race?

Two years earlier, it was Boeser/Barzal. Last year, it was Pettersson/Dahlin (defenseman) and Binnington. The latter two were not 'expected' to win. Aside from Olafsson, no one else comes close to this year's defensemen.

For sure, it is a two man race. Hughes and Makar are both very exciting players. Hughes is a marvel to watch with the puck on his stick. Same with Makar. I can't recall a time two offensively minded d-men were head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the competition. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Despite giving Makar the edge in the race right now I am really, really hoping Hughes takes the gold in the end. This will be fun to watch.

• Cheers 2

scoring usually wins this, but it should be more about the complete game which is where i think Hughes edges out Makar.

P/game - Makar 0.9 Hughes 0.75

Hughes has to at least tie Makar in this stat to win it in all likelihood. 

49 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Holding back from what?   What on earth was it holding him back from?    He is already showing signs of being the single best ever Canuck rookie Dman - isn't that enough?

I meant scoring goals was holding him back from winning the Calder you know the thing this post is about

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

But Makar was getting goals, and that was putting Hughes behind Makar, not so much now

The Calder is a direct comparison between the players 

Oh I see. The word “struggling” throw me off a bit. But I follow now. I’m not sure If Goals are gonna be his calling card but one things for sure he’s gonna put up a hell of a lot of points over the years. 

Frankly I’m just happy we have 3 nominees in a row. Tough to see him beat Makar but I’m cheering for every point Hughes gets. I think in the end we are going to have the better player. Makars a year older and the Aves are pretty stacked offensively imo

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

I meant holding is scoring goals eas holding him back from winning the Calder you know the thing this post is about

Who cares about him winning the Calder?   An award like that is icing at best.   There was nothing holding him back from being noticed across the league or providing Vancouver with a level of contribution beyond anyone's wildest dreams - even Jim Benning must be beyond ecstatic at how quickly this kid has figured out the pro game and seems to show something more every few weeks.   

Look, of course it is great that the players get noticed but this is a rebuilding team with a lot of young talent that is trying to figure itself out.   It needs a supportive fanbase that is more willing to embrace the process than any given individual accomplishment.   Put it this way, would you trade a Calder for Hughes for a Canuck playoff spot?    I know the player would not - and wouldn't even think about it for a second.

I know you seem to be a passionate fan and that is great but I just feel, and that is why we are having a back/forth of opinions, that your expectations and description of some of these players is almost as if you feel they are programmable bots.   I get a bit sensitive - was a kid once too...no where, and I mean NO where, near as talented as some of the young Canuck kids but the support of fans for what I was able to accomplish was so appreciated versus what they had determined was their expectation of what I should accomplish.

Peace.   :)

• Wat 1

I hope he wins it. He’s amazing to watch and what he does is not easy the way he skates and evades checks and makes passes. I can see him being a top D man in the NHL for a long time.  He’s going to have to edge out makar in points and if he does that he should win it.

• Cheers 1

At this point I think it's still Makar's to lose. Crazy to think that there are two rookie defensemen having historic rookie seasons at the same time.

I'm just praying that nothing stupid happens like Olofsson, Kubalik or Suzuki getting the nod for the nomination over Hughes because the NHL seemingly has an aversion to having multiple Dmen in the Calder race. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point I think it's still Makar's to lose. Crazy to think that there are two rookie defensemen having historic rookie seasons at the same time.

I'm just praying that nothing stupid happens like Olofsson, Kubalik or Suzuki getting the nod for the nomination over Hughes because the NHL seemingly has an aversion to having multiple Dmen in the Calder race. 

It is crazy, i can't think of a situation ever like it before that i remember. Wow both of them are just amazing talents in a position that rookies never seem that great at. Maybe Potvin and Salming but i can't remember if Salming was the same year or a year earlier!! lol

• Cheers 1