The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes closer to the Calder, Currently sits Number 1 in points

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Stated elsewhere.

Makar: Incredible defenseman.  Edge in goals, 1 point back with like 9 less games played.  Without him last year; Colorado was still in the playoffs.  Plays behind MacKinnon and a stud forward core of vets.  One-ish year older than Hughes

While he's incredible.  Does he have the same impact on his team's season as Hughes?

Hughes, 9 or so more games played.  One year younger.  But single handedly has revitalizes the Canucks entire d-core.  Power play.  Penalty kill.  He's an enormous part of the reason this team's gone from drafting top ten for 3 consecutive years to leading their division.

I think unless he gets injured; Makar wins it.  He's just so damned good.  But if the points are close or comparable and they look at overall body of work, or importance to team success.  Hughes stands an outside chance of winning.

His importance to the season the Canucks are having cannot be discounted

I'm just as impressed with hughes as the next canucks fan, but how has he "revitalized" our PK? Its operating at virtually the same rate as last year.

I cant find his pk toi/game so I cant judge that but in the games I've watched it's not like he was deployed on a unit. Just seemed to me like he plays PK in emergency situations because he is a Dman. 

Not to discredit his defensive ability but I think you're kind of flirting with the homer line when you say hes revitalized the pk.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm just as impressed with hughes as the next canucks fan, but how has he "revitalized" our PK? Its operating at virtually the same rate as last year.

I cant find his pk toi/game so I cant judge that but in the games I've watched it's not like he was deployed on a unit. Just seemed to me like he plays PK in emergency situations because he is a Dman. 

Not to discredit his defensive ability but I think you're kind of flirting with the homer line when you say hes revitalized the pk.

Agreed.  However what I see QH and Myers too, doing to the defense is taking enough tough minutes away from Edler to help him (and Tanev) - stay healthy and not always facing the leagues best as other teams have to spread it out more.  Myers on the second unit, and QH on the first leaves Edler and Tanev to concentrate more on the other side of the puck etc...so yes in a way the guy your replying too has a point - probably should have worded it differently though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hughes has begun to turn NHL games in to the "Quinn Hughes Show"  the puck is almost always on his stick and he makes a nice play nearly every time he is on the ice.  You can't help but notice him out there.  The points are just a result of this.  Does Makar have the same impact on teh entire game?  I know that he gets the same amount of points, but is he as noticable in the other facets of the game?  I've watched 5 or 6 avs games, and Makar had points in all of them, but didn't impact the game the same way Hughes does.  

Is that a fair comment, or did I just watch the wrong games?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Hughes has begun to turn NHL games in to the "Quinn Hughes Show"  the puck is almost always on his stick and he makes a nice play nearly every time he is on the ice.  You can't help but notice him out there.  The points are just a result of this.  Does Makar have the same impact on teh entire game?  I know that he gets the same amount of points, but is he as noticable in the other facets of the game?  I've watched 5 or 6 avs games, and Makar had points in all of them, but didn't impact the game the same way Hughes does.  

Completely fair comment. Hughes drives the play and controls tempo every time he is on the ice, in all zones. 

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much of a Hughes fan as I am, we have to remember that Makar has played 10 less games. There's an argument to say that Makar is playing with more skilled forwards, but he doesn't get a lot of cheap points, they're mostly well earned.

Hughes is ramping his play up of late though so will probably be a photo finish for the Calder.

The other arguement is that Makar is tailing off as the season wears on.  Quinn is getting stronger as the season wears on.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The other arguement is that Makar is tailing off as the season wears on.  Quinn is getting stronger as the season wears on.  

8 points in his last 10 games is tailing off? Exact same as Hughes over his last 10. Playing 20+ minutes over that span. Coming off a injury too. Not sure why people are downplaying Makar. Lol. They are both playing great, lets enjoy the race. This is like the Boeser and Barzal Calder race. Both are playing great hockey.

• Like 1

Who would have thought that in his rookie season,  Quinn Hughes would be ahead of Erik Karlsson,  Corey krug, Bret Burns,  shea webber,  Tyson Barrie,  Zack Werenski and Rasmus Dahlin in February!  I mean the kid is 4 points away from Alex Pietrangelo who is in third place in the league among defensemen for god sakes!

This is truly a surreal season watching this kid play.  This is a complete franchise changer. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BCNate said:

I dont know which 5-6 games you have watched. But to say that Makar doesnt impact the game as much as Hughes is meh. Makar is praised universally across the league. People hardly know Hughes outside of the Canucks circle. 

Not taking a hard side here. Just pointing out facts. And from the highlights of Makar i have seen that dude makes high percentage controlled plays; thats what impresses me. 

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

8 points in his last 10 games is tailing off? Exact same as Hughes over his last 10. Playing 20+ minutes over that span. Coming off a injury too. Not sure why people are downplaying Makar. Lol. They are both playing great, lets enjoy the race. This is like the Boeser and Barzal Calder race. Both are playing great hockey.

The real question here is if we had to choose one of the two who would it be?  At this point, given their ages, QH is having a better season by a long shot then Makars Hobey Baker winner last year .... and as a few have pointed out although we have some quality guns we don't have a McKinnon or top 3 offensive player to dish too, and Ratannen is pretty gifted too (arguably ahead of EP at this stage)...

Makar is a great young player too...with Dahlin in the mix too, plus Heiskenan and a few others, the league had sure seen a big insfusion of young future star defenseman....losing the lottery couldn't have worked out better for us...

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Who would have thought that in his rookie season,  Quinn Hughes would be ahead of Erik Karlsson,  Corey krug, Bret Burns,  shea webber,  Tyson Barrie,  Zack Werenski and Rasmus Dahlin in February!  I mean the kid is 4 points away from Alex Pietrangelo who is in third place in the league among defensemen for god sakes!

This is truly a surreal season watching this kid play.  This is a complete franchise changer. 

Can't agree more. He puts us over the top in future cup contending potential.

What's crazy to think is how he's only a rookie, so imagine as the league begins to give him more respect, at which point players will then naturally give him more time and space like they do for P. Kane, who I compare Hughes to only Q is a dman, of course. He will make even more crazy possession plays than he is already. Same with Petey. These two will very soon control games with their IQ and skill more than they already do. I mean, we're an incredibly young team and we're 1st in our division and will almost certainly make the playoffs this year. Nuts. So exciting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

- I dont know which 5-6 games you have watched. But to say that Makar doesnt impact the game as much as Hughes is meh. Makar is praised universally across the league. People hardly know Hughes outside of the Canucks circle. 

Not taking a hard side here. Just pointing out facts. And from the highlights of Makar i have seen that dude makes high percentage controlled plays; thats what impresses me. 

People hardly know Quin Hughes outside the Canucks circle is so wrong it's almost opposite.   Maybe pay attention to the broadcasters, or get a subscription or THN or something.   All-Star (and under the old format he wouldn't of had to wait for fans to vote him in).  Gretzky praising him and it becoming a Meme...the only guy he really complimented too... 

THN recent rookie addition did a main article on him, and he's already putting a lot of doubt in Jack Hughes as to which is the better player - go back five months before the season even started and he was ranked 10 best 21 and unders before the season even started (Makar was ranked 4 BTW).  Think about that for a minute and all the players that have been drafted over the past 3-4 years .. ranked 10 - Can't wait to see what they rank him next year ...

Currently in the hockey world, there is a debate starting if Dahlin was the right choice in his draft year - and if QH would have been the better pick .... at number one.   Only Svecknikov also has any skin in it, but his position is much easier filled ... but he's great too so far. 

I've read a direct comparable with QH and Makar, which is now three months old...Makar comes out as the winner in a six category platform - but I'm not so sure he will win next time they do it ... Quin Hughes draft plus two year is after all much much better then Makars (he is a year older and that matters with these things)

Going back to recognition.  Even if all you do is watch the games you can see how many props QH is getting from the panel and from the media source (SN usually), showing some sick recent plays and almost gushing over him at times.   We have never had a player like him, and the hockey world has absolutely and definitely taken notice. 

As for the debate as to who is better? Certainly hope it turns into the same debate Crosby and Ovi started 14 years ago - and that he lives up to it.  Both are obviously very special players - ones the league hasn't seen since Borque and Coffey were starting their careers...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I dont know which 5-6 games you have watched. But to say that Makar doesnt impact the game as much as Hughes is meh. Makar is praised universally across the league. People hardly know Hughes outside of the Canucks circle. 

Hughes is proving he’s more impactful to his team’s winning than Makar and Dahlin.  I think Hiskenen would be second to Hughes as best young D man.  Makar would be third, and then Dahlin.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Hughes is proving he’s more impactful to his team’s winning than Makar and Dahlin.  I think Hiskenen would be second to Hughes as best young D man.  Makar would be third, and then Dahlin.  

If you like Makar go post love for him on your board.  

On 2/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, IBatch said:

As for the debate as to who is better? Certainly hope it turns into the same debate Crosby and Ovi started 14 years ago - and that he lives up to it.  Both are obviously very special players - ones the league hasn't seen since Borque and Coffey were starting their careers...

Agree with the post almost 100% - as usual - but I can only hope that this last statement re: Bourque and Coffey turns out to be true.  As those are the #2 and #3 defensemen in NHL history (in my book) I will be very happy if Quinn Hughes (and anyone roughly his equal) turns out to be a mere "run of the mill Hall of Famer."

I'm trying to think of a couple contemporaries since those two legends that would fit the analogy...  Maybe Chelios / Housley / Macinnis (beginning 1983ish), or Gonchar / Zubov (1992ish or so).

Heh, and just about the only criticism I could give about Coffey's career is that he was a rather ordinary rookie.  He was by far the worst rookie of everyone named (pre-1990).

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 2/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, Devron44 said:

Honestly I think it was only like 5 games before he was out on the top unit.

Makar is really good and I’m betting will probably win it. I’m hoping for Hughes but how many points will Makar get. He just has to keep passing to McKinnon 

I wanna say it was game 8 because I remember they put him on there and he had points consistently on the powerplay his first few games which started around game 8 or 9. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I wanna say it was game 8 because I remember they put him on there and he had points consistently on the powerplay his first few games which started around game 8 or 9. 

Could be. All I remember is a bunch of winers about him not being on the 1st PP and it seems like it was only a few games. He scored his first goal on the 2nd unit game 3 of the season I don’t know if it took 5 games after that