The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB In Historical Context

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

38 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay? Still doesn't prove how it's the opposite.

You said: Ferland's on LTIR so he's not even really part of the caphit to begin with. In theory, he was actually signed to a decent contract had he not been injured. But, again,

”not even really part of the caphit”

only regarding players covering for him, bonus money can’t be paid and is moved to next year... Not good. 

”actually signed to a decent contract” 

Ehh, for who? Not the Canucks anyway due to his concussion history. 
You have a serious problem if you play a game, start a fight and is injuried. 
I could have agreed if he played half season and then get problem due to concussions.

Ferlands concussions problems have either been hidden for Benning or Benning is planning for Ferlands pension fond. 
So bad was Ferlands problem. So who lied to who?

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You said: Ferland's on LTIR so he's not even really part of the caphit to begin with. In theory, he was actually signed to a decent contract had he not been injured. But, again,

”not even really part of the caphit”

only regarding players covering for him, bonus money can’t be paid and is moved to next year... Not good. 

”actually signed to a decent contract” 

Ehh, for who? Not the Canucks anyway due to his concussion history. 
You have a serious problem if you play a game, start a fight and is injuried. 
I could have agreed if he played half season and then get problem due to concussions.

Ferlands concussions problems have either been hidden for Benning or Benning is planning for Ferlands pension fond. 
So bad was Ferlands problem. So who lied to who?

This is all just your opinion in the end, which is fine, but I disagree. I think he did have a decent contract when he was signed. I hardly heard anyone complain about it at all when it happened. If anything, most people seemed excited, so whatever idea you have on it not being a good contract at the time, I think most people that I saw would have disagreed with you there.

The thing you have to realise about Ferlund is he's not actually counting towards the cap, at least not in a way that affects us all that much. I think there's a reason why I don't see a lot of people using Ferland as an argument: because it's kind of a weak argument at best since it doesn't really affect us at the end of the day.

But, I know what your posts are like. You religiously defend Swedes while bashing on Benning (I'm assuming because of his handling of Dahlen or something). It's kind of what I expect from you at this point. lol

Edited by The Lock

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

This is all just your opinion in the end, which is fine, but I disagree. I think he did have a decent contract when he was signed. I hardly heard anyone complain about it at all when it happened. If anything, most people seemed excited, so whatever idea you have on it not being a good contract at the time, I think most people that I saw would have disagreed with you there.

The thing you have to realise about Ferlund is he's not actually counting towards the cap, at least not in a way that affects us all that much. I think there's a reason why I don't see a lot of people using Ferland as an argument: because it's kind of a weak argument at best since it doesn't really affect us at the end of the day.

But, I know what your posts are like. You religiously defend Swedes while bashing on Benning (I'm assuming because of his handling of Dahlen or something). It's kind of what I expect from you at this point. lol

You missed some nonswedes then. ^_^

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

& it's HIGHHHH-time JB got proper respect, when contrasted with the back@$$wards, futile moves of younger GM's like silly Dubas & that Phoenix-grifter.

Good Lord I'm glad we took a patient, reasonable approach!

The HFHaterz must be having a bird. False prophets like lil' Dubas, exposed as fanciful-dreamers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& it's HIGHHHH-time JB got proper respect, when contrasted with the back@$$wards, futile moves of younger GM's like silly Dubas & that Phoenix-grifter.

Good Lord I'm glad we took a patient, reasonable approach!

The HFHaterz must be having a bird. False prophets like lil' Dubas, exposed as fanciful-dreamers.

The Canucks have not taken a patient or reasonable approach though. A quick look at the signings and trades made puts that theory to rest.

Benning has drafted pretty well but has also drafted high because his immediate gratification retool strategy has not worked out on the ice how he planned pretty much every year and the team ended up in the NHL basement results wise.

Its been an attempted retool pretty much every year for Benning. The fact that it failed isnt really a glowing reason to proclaim him one of the best drafters in nhl history.

Petterssen is the only first round pick he has made that could be considered a clear win that he earned by drafting him a few spots earlier than expected. Juolevi and Virtanen were not the BPA. He drafted both based on positional need and both were bad picks. The rest of his first rounders were largely consensus picks at the spots they were taken. So while the result was good, it wasnt primarily due to exceptional scouting ability. Any team with that pick would have likely taken those players at those spots. Its similar with his 2nd round picks as well actually. 

He deserves credit for his drafting. But context matters too. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks have not taken a patient or reasonable approach though. A quick look at the signings and trades made puts that theory to rest.

Benning has drafted pretty well but has also drafted high because his immediate gratification retool strategy has not worked out on the ice how he planned pretty much every year and the team ended up in the NHL basement results wise.

Its been an attempted retool pretty much every year for Benning. The fact that it failed isnt really a glowing reason to proclaim him one of the best drafters in nhl history.

Petterssen is the only first round pick he has made that could be considered a clear win that he earned by drafting him a few spots earlier than expected. Juolevi and Virtanen were not the BPA. He drafted both based on positional need and both were bad picks. The rest of his first rounders were largely consensus picks at the spots they were taken. So while the result was good, it wasnt primarily due to exceptional scouting ability. Any team with that pick would have likely taken those players at those spots. Its similar with his 2nd round picks as well actually. 

He deserves credit for his drafting. But context matters too. 

Some reasonable comments, but we'll all need time to see how these young players perform under a PO-spotlight. The majority of them passed their first test in the Edm bubble.

Personally think his emphasis on character kids will pay dividends. The one mulligan with the local kid is somewhat understandable, as he was mere wks into the gig. Then in the next rd, he would land a young 'tender that has 99.9% of the fanbase liking our starter.

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Some reasonable comments, but we'll all need time to see how these young players perform under a PO-spotlight. The majority of them passed their first test in the Edm bubble.

Personally think his emphasis on character kids will pay dividends. The one mulligan with the local kid is somewhat understandable, as he was mere wks into the gig. Then in the next rd, he would land a young 'tender that has 99.9% of the fanbase liking our starter.

Like I have said many times, the difference isnt going to be whether the core, drafted group can be successful in the playoffs. I think they can be. The difference is going to be how effectively that core group is surrounded by support players who can be as well.

We are quickly getting past the stage now of being able to draft many players that can fill those holes in time for this core group to start being competitive.

Its going to take a far different approach with cap space and contracts vs quality of those players going forward. Lets hope Benning sees his previous quick fix attempts are not the way forward and improves the quality of the support guys in the next 2 years.

• Cheers 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:06 PM, The Lock said:

OMG, Another Uncle Jim Love-Fest topic.  Do we really need another one???  Really?

Why do his last remaining followers keep starting up these post every few days, with the same old BS claims that's he's boy wonder and here we are sitting out yet another playoff season.  Some things never change - but will soon - once the "fed-up with JB excuses" fans are back in their seats and the FIRE BENNING chants start-up next season.  Maybe Aqua-lini can ignore a banner flying in the sky but wont ignore thousands chanting FIRE BENNING during a nationally broadcast Saturday night HNIC game for millions to hear.    Always amazes me how some are content with constant failure and actually support it (with endless excuses).

21 Most Funny Fire Pictures

Edited by RU SERIOUS

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The drama is over the top here.   

And what a great way to show support for the players on the ice...by totally using THEIR game to send your message.  Create a negative energy when, really, most fans will just be thrilled to be back out after COVID and celebrating.  Who are these negative Nancys who plan this stuff?  I'd say life is what you make it and you're consumed with something you don't need to be.

For every "fan" chanting negatives, my friends and I will drown you out with cheers.  Because during a game, it's all about cheering on the team.  The best way to voice your displeasure is by not going...leave the seats to those who ARE on board with the team.  This team, not the one you've drafted in your head.  

It's perfectly fine to not love everything about the team but I feel, for many, it's now more about them and being right than anything  There comes a time you have to say "ok, we tried" and let go.  The team is moving forward and the fans should too.  See what happens next year, when a proper assessment can be made.  This COVID hell year is not the time to determine where we're at.

Fun part is. I doubt the chants will as widespread as some seem to think... 

Time will tell, but of course with some, the team could go unbeaten through the season, win the cup and every prize associated, and they'd still find a reason to shout fire Benning...Cause you know..Eriksson 6mill... Dahlen, Gudbransson and omg Madden and whoever... 

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fun part is. I doubt the chants will as much as some seem to think... 

Time will tell, but of course with some, the team could go unbeaten through the season, win the cup and every prize associated, and they'd still find a reason to shout fire Benning...Cause you know..Eriksson 6mill... Dahlen, Gudbransson and omg Madden and whoever... 

How much noise can they really make anyhow?  

image.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG, Another Uncle Jim Love-Fest topic.  Do we really need another one???  Really?

Why do his last remaining followers keep starting up these post every few days, with the same old BS claims that's he's boy wonder and here we are sitting out yet another playoff season.  Some things never change - but will soon - once the "fed-up with JB excuses" fans are back in their seats and the FIRE BENNING chants start-up next season.  Maybe Aqua-lini can ignore a banner flying in the sky but wont ignore thousands chanting FIRE BENNING during a nationally broadcast Saturday night HNIC game for millions to hear.    Always amazes me how some are content with constant failure and actually support it (with endless excuses).

21 Most Funny Fire Pictures

I don't usually waste my time replying to you, but you do realize you're quoting someone from almost 3 months ago right? Not sure if you took the time to read or realize that before writing this. Also, this post was started 4 months ago.

1 hour ago, Ur a Towel said:

I don't usually waste my time replying to you, but you do realize you're quoting someone from almost 3 months ago right? Not sure if you took the time to read or realize that before writing this. Also, this post was started 4 months ago.

Actually, can proudly say this thread was started 16 months back. There seemed to be a noisy lil' contingent that were intent on shouting derision towards everything JB.

Personally wanted to contradict these naysayers. As has been said(plenty), JB has made some mistakes, but we've NEVER had a crop of youth like the last yr or two.

The future's bright. Unfortunately, social media gives voice to both informed fans, & those who have no clear understanding. The latter type often being the sort who like to cause irrational, meaningless & aggravating noise.

This is a good time for those who support the team's direction, to state it clearly.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fun part is. I doubt the chants will as widespread as some seem to think... 

Whatever helps you sleep at night; I'd think laying with strawmen would be more itchy than cozy.

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Actually, can proudly say this thread was started 16 months back. There seemed to be a noisy lil' contingent that were intent on shouting derision towards everything JB.

Personally wanted to contradict these naysayers. As has been said(plenty), JB has made some mistakes, but we've NEVER had a crop of youth like the last yr or two.

The future's bright. Unfortunately, social media gives voice to both informed fans, & those who have no clear understanding. The latter type often being the sort who like to cause irrational, meaningless & aggravating noise.

This is a good time for those who support the team's direction, to state it clearly.

Yeah you're right and I should probably use my own advice and read a bit more carefully next time. Not sure how I missed the 2020 part.

• Cheers 2