The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller named Third Star of the Week

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

agreed. honestly I don't think he ever really got over his concussion troubles. at this point I think he should sit out the rest of the season, I think that would be best for his long term health and for his NHL career.

I do think that concussions should be taken seriously and that they should err on the side of caution but that doesn't mean that concussion problems are necessarily "career over".  Each individual situation is different.  As fans we don't have full information as to how serious his health problems are or even if it is indeed a problem with concussion (the official line is that it isn't).  We have to trust that the Canucks have professional health practitioners to take care of it.  Anyway I want to see Ferland play for the Canucks if he is cleared by the medical staff and/or other experts on head injuries.  It may even be something else.

Oh and since this is a thread about Miller's fine play I don't want to hijack it with too much discussion about Ferland.  This side discussion was kicked off by someone saying that we need another player like Miller for the playoffs (who wouldn't want that).  I suggested that we already have a good hard-nosed playoff-like player waiting in the wings.  In any case Miller has been awesome and fully worth the price it took to get him.  Well done Benning!  Depth is an important factor in winning.  Go Canucks Go!

4 hours ago, nux_win said:

Ferland was supposed to be that guy (maybe slightly less offensive talent, but hard to play against).  Too bad his mystery injury is keeping him out of the line-up.  In any case Miller has been outstanding and he fully deserves the recognition.  Go Canucks Go!

Fingers still crossed that he'll be back and will be able to fill that role for us.

I would go so far as to say he is our MVP so far.  Everybody else is sort of doing what we thought/hoped they would do.  Miller is playing way above what we thought/hoped he would do.  He is also doing everything well.  He makes me think of Trevor Linden.  Smart, tough, skilled and can do everything well.  

I honestly think Miller has an elite IQ for the game but with an average skill set. His hands and shot have never impressed me, but his IQ is always consistently putting a smile on my face because he knows when to shoot, when to check and when to hold onto the puck 95% of the time. If this kid had Patrick Kane level hands he'd be a top 5 player in the league. He's practically Petey without the hands and shot but with more tenacity along the boards. 

Just an absolute beast of a player. He's pretty much the definition of a Canuck. No shifts taken off, grind your way to victories kinda guy. Well deserved.