The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mental Exercise: Boeser for Brady Tkachuk

Mental Exercise: Trading Boeser for Brady Tkachuk

Boeser:                                             

Higher offensive ceiling but can no longer score on top of the slot consistently, he is trying to adapt to NHL and find his game. Chances are he will eventually break through like Jake Virtanen and reach his potential. This however may take another one or two seasons at the worst. J.T. Miller and Nathan Mackinnon took several seasons to reach their potential.

Tkachuk:

Has a lower offensive ceiling. Provides more net front presence and scores more garbage goals. Offers intimidation factor especially in a division that also exhibits his older brother. His former roommate Quinn Hughes plays in Vancouver. Seems like a good kid and not a douche like his older brother. So far he is the "good" Tkachuk. 

This is a trade that Ottawa would have a hard time saying no to. They may still say no but it would be difficult for them. 

From Canucks' perspective, the question is whether there are any players in the system that can replace Boeser or resemble Tkachuk. Hoglander may become a player somewhat akin to Boeser. However the system is full of young, tough, gritty scorers such as Baily, Podkolzin and Lind. None of these prospects are guaranteed to reach their potential. All in all, I don't think this would be a bad trade for either organization but I think J.B. is comfortable with the number of gritty scorers in the system and still wishes for the David Patrnak type of sniper. Boeser is no Patrnak but he is the closest we have in the system. I don't think J.B. would make this deal. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

Boeser has 45 points in 53 games.

On a year many state is a down year for him.

To be honest.  I'd actually seriously consider doing it IF the math worked out for the Canucks.  You don't trade a 22 year old near PPG right winger for a prospect who hasn't broken 50 points.  If nothing else because watching Tkachuk vs Tkachuk 5 times a year would be awesome.  And Brady kind of represents that grittier hard nosed winger we need

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brady Tkatchuk for Beoser is an easy yes from Me.  Love Bess, and believe he’s a core piece.  If we trade him it has to be for a similar core piece.  

I can't see Ottawa trading Tkachuk.  Boeser is a more "proven" player at this point in their respective careers but I believe Tkachuk has a much higher likelihood of being an impact player beyond the scoresheet.  He hasn't produced at the same kind of level that Matthew was able to achieve relatively quickly, but he's also playing on a team with a lot less depth and skill.  The Senators have some decent prospects already and will likely get an infusion to their prospect pool this summer.  It makes more sense for them to let Tkachuk mature with that prospect pool.  By the time this year's prospects are ready Tkachuk will probably just be entering his prime.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can't see Ottawa trading Tkachuk.  Boeser is a more "proven" player at this point in their respective careers but I believe Tkachuk has a much higher likelihood of being an impact player beyond the scoresheet.  He hasn't produced at the same kind of level that Matthew was able to achieve relatively quickly, but he's also playing on a team with a lot less depth and skill.  The Senators have some decent prospects already and will likely get an infusion to their prospect pool this summer.  It makes more sense for them to let Tkachuk mature with that prospect pool.  By the time this year's prospects are ready Tkachuk will probably just be entering his prime.

I agree that Ottawa wouldn’t make that trade.  I would from our point of view though.  I think 

Bess is awesome, and a part of our young core four.  But I think Brady Tkatchuk would be better. 

18 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Mental Exercise: Trading Boeser for Brady Tkachuk

Boeser:                                             

Higher offensive ceiling but can no longer score on top of the slot consistently, he is trying to adapt to NHL and find his game. Chances are he will eventually break through like Jake Virtanen and reach his potential. This however may take another one or two seasons at the worst. J.T. Miller and Nathan Mackinnon took several seasons to reach their potential.

Tkachuk:

Has a lower offensive ceiling. Provides more net front presence and scores more garbage goals. Offers intimation factor especially in a division that also exhibits his older brother. His former roommate Quinn Hughes plays in Vancouver. Seems like a good kid and not a douche like his older brother. So far he is the "good" Tkachuk. 

This is a trade that Ottawa would have a hard time saying no to. They may still say no but it would be difficult for them. 

From Canucks' perspective, the question is whether there are any players in the system that can replace Boeser or resemble Tkachuk. Hoglander may become a player somewhat akin to Boeser. However the system is full of young, tough, gritty scorers such as Baily, Podkolzin and Lind. None of these prospects are guaranteed to reach their potential. All in all, I don't think this would be a bad trade for either organization but I think J.B. is comfortable with the number of gritty scorers in the system and still wishes for the David Patrnak type of sniper. Boeser is no Patrnak but he is the closest we have in the system. I don't think J.B. would make this deal. 

Here are my other thoughts:

Assumption: This squad of Vancouver Canucks will never win the Stanley Cup unless and until Brock Boeser reinvents himself into a new and better sniper. (I hope it is something like a 40 goals per season version of J.T. Miller). 

Assumption: Brock Boeser will need another 1 or 2 seasons to figure things out. (Nathan Mackinnon took 5 seasons). 

Assumption: J.B.'s cap plan is to contend after Eriksson's contract expires. Thereafter, new players on cheaper contracts would supplement the very well paid core players. 

If all 3 assumptions are correct, I think J.B. will not make the trade. The logic being the organization's long term plan including cap management is to wait 2-3 years to contend. This would give Boeser time to break through this plateau of his development and become a bona fide sniper. The waiting game favours the player with the higher offensive ceiling. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Here are my other thoughts:

Assumption: This squad of Vancouver Canucks will never win the Stanley Cup unless and until Brock Boeser reinvents himself into a new and better sniper. (I hope it is something like a 40 goals per season version of J.T. Miller). 

Assumption: Brock Boeser will need another 1 or 2 seasons to figure things out. (Nathan Mackinnon took 5 seasons). 

Assumption: J.B.'s cap plan is to contend after Eriksson's contract expires. Thereafter, new players on cheaper contracts would supplement the very well paid core players. 

If all 3 assumptions are correct, I think J.B. will not make the trade. The logic being the organization's long term plan including cap management is to wait 2-3 years to contend. This would give Boeser time to break through this plateau of his development and become a bona fide sniper. The waiting game favours the player with the higher offensive ceiling. 

Agreed, except we are winning the Cup this year. :towel:

I get why Tkachuk appeals to people but I don't feel the need for that kind of player. I feel the intimidation factor is a tad overblown in today's game tbh. You don't want your premier skill guys playing enforcer anyway, you want them producing. We've already got big bodies and heavier bodies in Bo, Pearson, Ferland (when healthy), Virtanen, and Miller who can score closer to the net. Hell, Petey's shown his ability to score closer to the net. We've also got Rouss who's willing to go to the net. We have size throughout our lineup with potentially Tram on the way and Podz being a couple years off. There's also Leivo who was playing well and Gaudette who's quietly had a solid season.

Having a skill piece in Boeser is a good thing, you need those skill guys mixed in too. If him having 45 points in 53 games during his third full season is an "off season" I keep that every day of the week. He knows our systems, he knows our guys and he's proven he can produce here already. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, except we are winning the Cup this year. :towel:

This squad has that young and dumb innocence that the Tampa Lightnings had back in 2003. They would have no pressure to win a damn thing in the playoffs. They have a lot of players that are coachable and willing to learn and change their games for the good of the team. I think the primary limitations for Vancouver's chances in the playoffs are relatively inexperienced coaching and injury/fatigue. 

It's possible. It is however up to God. 

• Like 1

Brady is going to be a real good player. its in his genes.

I like how he is best buddies with Quinn too.

I am certainly not an advocate for getting rid of Boeser unless the stars are aligning in that direction for a multitude of reasons besides his exaggerated current "slump"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

This squad has that young and dumb innocence that the Tampa Lightnings had back in 2003. They would have no pressure to win a damn thing in the playoffs. They have a lot of players that are coachable and willing to learn and change their games for the good of the team. I think the primary limitations for Vancouver's chances in the playoffs are relatively inexperienced coaching and injury/fatigue. 

It's possible. It is however up to God

This Gaud? 

0BE85CCA-3671-4D44-8407-D6FAA3791BA8.jpeg

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get why Tkachuk appeals to people but I don't feel the need for that kind of player. I feel the intimidation factor is a tad overblown in today's game tbh. You don't want your premier skill guys playing enforcer anyway, you want them producing. We've already got big bodies and heavier bodies in Bo, Pearson, Ferland (when healthy), Virtanen, and Miller who can score closer to the net. Hell, Petey's shown his ability to score closer to the net. We've also got Rouss who's willing to go to the net. We have size throughout our lineup with potentially Tram on the way and Podz being a couple years off. There's also Leivo who was playing well and Gaudette who's quietly had a solid season.

Having a skill piece in Boeser is a good thing, you need those skill guys mixed in too. If him having 45 points in 53 games during his third full season is an "off season" I keep that every day of the week. He knows our systems, he knows our guys and he's proven he can produce here already. 

I think Tkachuk will prove his worth in the playoffs. So you'll get to see that in about 5 years maybe :lol: I like the idea that BT would have a role model in JT Miller as well, it would work out quite well for us I think. But we would lose some scoring. 

The idea of a future line of Hoglander-Brady Tkachuk-Podkolzin is pretty drool worthy. 

I love Brock, but I don't think Ottawa does this deal. So oh darn, we get to keep a likely perennial point per game guy with awesome character. Its a no-lose proposition. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Tkachuk will prove his worth in the playoffs. So you'll get to see that in about 5 years maybe :lol: I like the idea that BT would have a role model in JT Miller as well, it would work out quite well for us I think. But we would lose some scoring. 

The idea of a future line of Hoglander-Brady Tkachuk-Podkolzin is pretty drool worthy. 

I love Brock, but I don't think Ottawa does this deal. So oh darn, we get to keep a likely perennial point per game guy with awesome character. Its a no-lose proposition. 

He'd be a pain to play in the playoffs, certainly. I'm not a fan of having your top guys as fighters though, I want them on the ice producing not in the box or with the mitts off risking injury. If fighting is needed I'd rather have role players do it.

I don't have a problem with guys sticking up for themselves or each other, but those who play on the edge and aren't willing to back it up are turtles like Marchand or Brady's brother. Play that way and you'll inevitably have to answer the bell, and there's risk that comes with that. I understand the appeal, but I prefer the straight scorer trying to round out his game. 

• Cheers 1

This is a hard one to call. Would definitely give us more snarl up front, but Boeser could easily settle into a 40 goal a year guy. 

I actually don't think the Ottawa would make this trade. Part of the reason is, they are trying to keep salary really low for now.