The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and the Cap Over the Next Three Years

Here’s a post I have been working on for the last few weeks regarding our cap moving forward.  I have attempted to be realistic…

Alright, so everyone knows (or at least I hope you do) that the Canucks will be up against the cap in a brutal way next year and especially in the year following (2021-2022).  The 2021-2022 season is brutal in so many ways (still paying Luongo and Eriksson as well as having to pay Petey and Huggy Bear).  It is my feeling that there is no way to part with Eriksson and Benning will do everything in his power to keep his draft picks (avoiding what Toronto did with Marleau).

Anyways, this post in to think through how we are going to navigate the next two years while not sacrificing draft picks and also being realistic with contracts and moves that maybe can happen.  I will be solely focusing on Canucks property and not trading or signing players (other than a UFA defenseman in 2022-2023). Predicting trades and free agent signing is just too impossible.  Benning has also stated that he doesn’t want to go that route since we have enough of a swell with our young players now.  After that, I will have some fun with our roster three years from now (when we are out from under the burden of so many bad contracts, penalties, etc.)  Many of the contracts for next year are set other than a few key free agents.  Some will have to be let go and others signed.  Unfortunately, many of our younger players will need to sign team friendly bridge deals to keep the cap down.  This means that the team may have to pay up in about 3-5 years down the road when these players are demanding high paying, long term contracts.  There’s no way around it…

Throughout this post, I am also assuming that players hit their performance bonuses and the team elects to keep those under the cap structure (as opposed to paying them the following year, which becomes ugly).  If there is carryover from this year (looks like around 1 million), I’m assuming that carryover will continue year over year until we are out of our cap hell.  So, you will see that added performance bonus in 2022-2023, the year our cap hell ends.  Also, I’m not thinking about the Seattle expansion draft but if it was my guess Demko will be snatched and Dipietro is our backup sooner than later.

So, on to next season (2020-2021)… first off, we have seen an epic turn in Virtanen’s career this year.  Many fans have been enjoying their #shotgunjake moments and he has many more to come.  The team has been faithful to him and he knows it.  He doesn’t want to go anywhere and we don’t want him to go anywhere… too much potential.  As an RFA, I say he signs for 2 years @ $3 million per.  We can’t afford him longer ATM since his cap hit would go up drastically…

Next, Hockey_Gaud is a legit hockey player.  He will only come back stronger next year.  While his defensive game needs some work, he has a knack for the net and just makes those around him better.  As an RFA drafted in a later round, he will sign for 2 years @ $2 million per.

Motte… the cheap man’s Alex Burrows and Matt Cooke.  The Energizer bunny without much finish.  We all need one and we need him… for cheap.  1 year @ $1.5 million.

Finally for the forwards, we are going to see (miraculously) Baertschi traded to a team with enough cap space to take him on and injuries on their roster.  We won’t retain any salary… maybe he goes to Pittsburgh, we’ve fleeced that GM before (ahem, Gudbranson).  Perhaps JB has to bite the bullet and sacrifice a 4th round pick to get rid of Baertschi.  In addition, we are going to trade Sutter in the off season and will have to retain $2 million of his salary to do so… sorry Canuck fans.  But with only 1 year left on his contract, someone will take him.  He is foundational after all…

Next… the D… well… I have bad news folks.  I think this is the end of the road for Tanev.  He will demand a pay day (I question whether he is worth it with his injury history) and he will be THE sacrifice to the cap gods.  Sorry Canuck Nation.  It will be Tanev’s last contract and Hughes has increased Tanev’s value.  I’m not saying Tanev isn’t great at his role, but we’ve all seen how fragile he can be.  He will get 4.5-5 million per on a 5-year deal.  That’s an overpayment and will take him to his 35 year old season.  We will see massive regression from Tanev in two years and this contract won’t look good in a couple.

In letting go of Tanev, we will have to turn to our lesser D-men and hope that they can turn it up a notch.  That’s you Stecher… you are an average D-man who has been able to step up when called upon.  Just can you do it for an entire season because we may need you to.  I say we go to arbitration with you and you are awarded with 1 year @ $3 million.

Also, Tryamkin will be signed.  He will not be the ace in the hole that many of you are hoping for, but we will sign him for 2 years @ $2 million per.  He will turn out to be a decently effective third pairing D but will be treated similarly by Travis Green as he was by Willie D.  He is a prima donna without the talent to quite back it up.  Nonetheless, he will tow the line and be effective in his role.  It will be a decent signing but nothing amazing…

Rafferty and Brisebois will be the other mainstays on the third pairing with Tryamkin and Rafferty will be excellent in the second half of the season.  Regardless of the defender, they are each signed for $1 million.  As you will see, our D next year will regress a little bit, other than the natural improvements of Hughes (and Stecher to a lesser degree).

Finally, Fantenberg will be let go and Benn will be our #7 D-man.

Markstrom… Markstrom, Markstrom, Markstrom.  Marky… we love you and you love us.  We need to sign you to something fair to show you our commitment to you and reward you for the near-elite goaltender you are.  At the same time, we can’t handcuff ourselves here and you know it.  Let’s not play hardball here.  We want you and you want us… let’s make it 4 years @ $5.5 million per and call it a day, shall we?  Fair is fair, right? (fingers crossed we can sign him to a fair deal and he doesn’t play hardball).

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2020-2021 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  This is a little bit below the $83 million predicted cap space and allows us to retain more salary on Sutter or Baertschi…

Total (82.425)

Forwards (48.275)

Boeser (5.875) - Pettersson (3.775) - Miller (5.25)

Pearson (3.75) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (3*) - Gaudette (2*) - Roussel (3)

Lind (1.125) - Beagle (3) - Motte (1.5*)

Eriksson (6)

MacEwen (1) 

Defense (21.6)

Edler (6) - Stecher (3*)

Myers (6) - Hughes (1.6)

Rafferty/Brisebois (1*) - Tryamkin (2*)

Benn (2)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Demko (1.05)

Buyout/retained (6)

Buyout/Retained Salary: Spooner (1.0), Luongo (3.0), Sutter (2)

For the 2021-2022 season, there is trouble to be had.  We still have Eriksson and Luongo on the bill and have the need to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

Sorry folks, but there is no way both Pettersson and Hughes both sign their long term deals at the same time…. The Canucks simply can’t afford it, as you will see.  One will have to be a bridge deal ala Boeser, and that will be Hughes.  The reason it’s Hughes is because he will only have two full seasons under his belt, which makes a bridge deal more sense.  Obviously he is more valuable to the team than Boeser (by far), so his deal will be greater.  However, with no arbitration rights, the Canucks will play hardball long into the summer and settle at $6.75 million for 3 years.  He will get cut a huge paycheque the next time he is up for a new contract, but the hope is the Canucks don’t have any dead weight contracts at the time…

So… Petey… he is clearly worth more than Marner but Marner is overpaid.  He is also worth more than Rantanen who is signed more closely to market value ($9.25 million for 6 years).  I’m expecting we can’t sign Pettersson for the 8 year term that we (and he) would like.  The contract would just be too juicy.  So I’m expecting they use Rantanen as a comparable and sign him for 6 years at $10 million per.

Okay, so we’ve got some rookies and young forwards that will help us fill out the roster… namely Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Lind.  Looking at comparables for where they were drafted (not their hype, as Canucks fans type to over value their prospects), Hoglander will be around $0.9 million (we may have to carry any bonuses over to the 2022-2023 season), Podkolzin will come in around $1.8 million (this should even include the bonuses probably), and Lind will be signed to a tiny increase for 2 years @$1.3 million per. 

Unfortunately, we are still anchored by Beagle (3 per), Roussel (3 per) and Eriksson (6 per) for this year… ouch!!  Also, Pearson will walk because we simply can’t afford him.  Maybe we can get a similar type of impact from Podkolzin?... stranger things have happened and it appears that Pearson is coming down to earth a little bit now (his torrid pace is no longer).

To fill out our defence is going to be difficult this season.  Ideally, we have to be hopeful that Juolevi and Rafferty work out as second and third pairing defencemen, and I will assume that.  However, if they don’t we will have to dip into free agency or have some sort of dramatic development from Brisebois or Rathbone.  Also, Stecher will have to be let go… he will get paid more than his value will be to us.  He is the sacrifice to the cap this year…

Also, I’m assuming Edler wants back into the fold at a reduced rate.  He will be slower (second pairing at best) but still effective.  Here’s hoping we can sign him 1 year @ $3.5 million.  In addition, Juolevi signs for 2 years @ $1.8 million per and Rafferty signs for 2 years @ $2 million per.  These seem like fair “show me what you got” deals… Brisebois will be our 7th D-man at $1.3 million per on a 2 year as well.

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2021-2022 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  We have to hope the cap goes up a little bit here…

Total (85.525)

Forwards (52.625)

Boeser (5.875) - Pettersson (10.0*) - Miller (5.25)

Podkolzin (1.8*) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (3*) - Gaudette (2*) - Hoglander (0.9*)

Lind (1.3*) - Beagle (3) - Roussel (3)

Eriksson (6)

MacEwen (1)

Defense (23.55)

Myers (6) - Hughes (6.75*)

Edler (3.5*) - Rafferty (2*)

Tryamkin (2*) - Juolevi (1.8*)

Brisebois (1.5*)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Dipietro (1.05)

Buyout/Retained (3)

Buyout/Retained Salary: Luongo (3.0)

The 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 seasons are definitely part of our cup window… in fact I would suggest the 2022-2023 season is one of our best chances with Horvat and Miller still on the last year of their current deals (well underpaid) .  We have core players on ELCs (Podkolzin, Hoglonder, Lind, Madden etc.), dead weight off the books (Roussel, Beagle, Luongo penalty, Eriksson) and our star players in their prime (Petey, Brock, Bo, Miller, and Huggy Bear).  There are also some players on cheap contracts who may impress us (Juolevi, Rafferty, Brisebois).  I can’t imagine there is another team set up as well as our team during those years (maybe Colorado) so there is a lot to be excited about. 

There isn’t a lot to be done as far as signing major players this year.  Signing Brock is about it… and Virtanen if he had been signed to the short 2 year bridge deal I had predicted earlier in this post… and hockey_gaud if he also signs the short 2 year deal I had predicted .  Brock is good, but I think we are seeing this year he isn’t the elite player we were all hoping for.  A complimentary player on a top line or a very good second liner.  Every team loves to have them.  Hard to predict this contract.  It should be long term (say 6 years) and I’m predicting around $8.5 million per.

#shotgunjake… hard to predict how these next two years go but if he turns into Bertuzzi lite he could receive up to $6.5 million per on a 4-5 year deal but it’s more likely he keeps a slow burn in improvement going and he is signed for about $4.5 million for 4 years.  He will be an elite 3 liner if not a good second liner…

Hockey_gaud will continue his slow progression as a solid contributor.  His ceiling is second liner and basement is third liner.  As you’ll see below, I’m placing him on the fourth line because he has a bigger body than Madden.  He will be signed for 4 years at $4 million per.

Tyler Madden should have been listed as a player probably a year earlier in this post as he is playing lights out in the NCAA (second to Johnny Gaudreau in D+2 season PPG), but I’m assuming that he will be the first callup in 2021-2022 and we may see him more often depending on injuries.  In 2022-2023 he will be a mainstay.  I believe he will be a better third line center fit than Gaudette and hockey_gaud will be ready for heavy fourth line minutes by then.  Madden will be signed to a 3 year ELC worth around $1.1 million per year.

On D, we will have to re-sign Edler (one year, probably his last year)… he will be slowing down and will be a great mentor to Rathbone on a third pairing.  Edler for $2.5 million on a one year.

Tryamkin will be gone (won’t be what we need) and Rathbone will finally be welcomed into the fold full time.  Rathbone at $1.2 million per for a couple of years sounds right…

Since this is the year to “go for it” (take that lightly… I never believe in going all in… too many variables), I believe we will use some of our extra cap space to sign a UFA defenseman for Juolevi’s right side.  That man is John Kingberg of the Dallas Stars or Seth Jones of the Columbus Blue Jackets.  Both will be around 28-29 years old and will want a good chunk of change on their next contract.  One of them will be a Canuck.  Let’s say Klingberg (the lesser of the two) for 5 years @ $7.5 million per.  While this will be an overpayment after a couple of years, it gives us a clear window and our young players deserve that.

So, as it stands, here is the roster for the 2022-2023 season (* = new contract numbers that are estimated).  You’ll see this allows room for any contract bonuses that have been carried over year to year over the previous years, which sets us up for future years…  I challenge you to find a hole on this team…

Total (83.55)

Forwards (49.75)

Boeser (8.5*) - Pettersson (10.0) - Miller (5.25)

Podkolzin (1.8) - Horvat (5.5) - Ferland (3.5)

Virtanen (4.5*) – Madden (1.1) - Hoglander (0.9)

Lind (1.3) - Gaudette (4*) -  MacEwen (1.5*)

Depth (1.2)

Depth (0.7)

Defense (27.25)

Myers (6) - Hughes (6.75)

Juolevi (1.8) – Klingberg (7.5*)

Edler (2.5*) - Rathbone (1.2*)

7th Dman (1.5)

Goalies (6.55)

Markstrom (5.5)

Dipietro (1.05)

Thoughts?  (other than the length... God bless you if you made it through this... just had some time to burn and had fun thinking about our teams future)

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's how carry overs for bonuses work. If we have a bonus overage of 1M for next year and the cap is 82.5M, then I think OUR team's cap would be 81.5M, an actual difference enforced by the NHL. Delaying the cap hit of bonuses isn't possible. 

At least that's how I understand it. 

EDIT: Nevermind I think I misunderstood you're post. I agree that the team should look to cover next year's potential bonuses within the cap to prevent carry overs. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

1 hour ago, jammin_jk said:

Sorry folks, but there is no way both Pettersson and Hughes both sign their long term deals at the same time

You put a lot of work into this but took the thinking too far when you said this.   Of course there is.   You have too many assumptions that can be addressed in a different outcome but to assume you cannot sign to cornerstones at same time when ever single other asset is movable is simply a silly premise.   Other teams have done this and Canucks will have the ability to do this as well.

53 minutes ago, xereau said:

In 3 years this team will look completely different than that.

Here's the team from 3 seasons past.

Regular Season Playoffs Vitals
# Player Name Pos. GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM Birthplace Age
Totals   178 292 470 638    
53 Bo Horvat C 81 20 32 52 27 -7 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: London 21
33 Henrik Sedin C 82 15 35 50 28 -27 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Ornskoldsvik 35
22 Daniel Sedin L 82 15 29 44 32 -16 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Ornskoldsvik 35
47 Sven Baertschi L 68 18 17 35 8 -6 -- -- -- -- -- Switzerland: Bern 23
Brandon Sutter C 81 17 17 34 12 -20 -- -- -- -- -- NY: Huntington 27
60 Markus Granlund C 69 19 13 32 14 -19 -- -- -- -- -- Finland: Oulu 23
21 Loui Eriksson L 65 11 13 24 8 -9 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Gothenburg 31
51 Troy Stecher D 71 3 21 24 25 -16 -- -- -- -- -- BC: Richmond 22
23 Alexander Edler D 68 6 15 21 36 -20 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Ostersund 30
14 Alexandre Burrows 1 R 55 9 11 20 53 -3 -- -- -- -- -- PQ: Pincourt 35
27 Ben Hutton D 71 5 14 19 31 -22 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Brockville 23
36 Jannik Hansen 2 R 28 6 7 13 27 2 -- -- -- -- -- Denmark: Rodovre 30
5 Luca Sbisa D 82 2 11 13 40 -1 -- -- -- -- -- Italy: Ozieri 26
8 Christopher Tanev D 53 2 8 10 14 3 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Toronto 26
Jack Skille R 55 5 4 9 12 0 -- -- -- -- -- WI: Madison 29
Michael Chaput C 68 4 5 9 29 -12 -- -- -- -- -- PQ: Ile-Bizard 24
88 Nikita Tryamkin D 66 2 7 9 64 -7 -- -- -- -- -- Russia: Yekaterinburg 22
46 Jayson Megna C 58 4 4 8 6 -4 -- -- -- -- -- FL: Fort Lauderdale 26
Reid Boucher 3 L 27 5 2 7 6 -7 -- -- -- -- -- MI: Grand Ledge 22
63 Philip Larsen D 26 1 5 6 4 -8 -- -- -- -- -- Denmark: Esbjerg 26
44 Erik Gudbranson D 30 1 5 6 18 -14 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Ottawa 24
6 Brock Boeser R 9 4 1 5 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- MN: Burnsville 19
50 Brendan Gaunce C 57 0 5 5 33 -2 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Sudbury 22
15 Derek Dorsett R 14 1 3 4 33 -6 -- -- -- -- -- SASK: Kindersley 29
82 Nikolay Goldobin 4 R 12 3 0 3 0 1 -- -- -- -- -- Russia: Moscow 20
55 Alex Biega D 36 0 3 3 18 -4 -- -- -- -- -- PQ: Montreal 28
42 Drew Shore C 14 0 2 2 4 -3 -- -- -- -- -- CO: Denver 25
17 Anton Rodin R 3 0 1 1 0 1 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Stockholm 25
18 Jake Virtanen R 10 0 1 1 2 1 -- -- -- -- -- BC: Langley 20
30 Ryan Miller G 54 0 1 1 22 0 -- -- -- -- -- MI: East Lansing 36
71 Borna Rendulic R 1 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- Croatia: Zagreb 24
61 Evan McEneny D 1 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Hamilton 22
40 Mike Zalewski L 1 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- -- NY: New Hartford 24
65 Alexandre Grenier R 3 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- -- PQ: Laval 24
32 Richard Bachman G 5 0 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- UT: Salt Lake City 29
13 Griffen Molino F 5 0 0 0 0 -2 -- -- -- -- -- MI: Trenton 22
Joseph Cramarossa 5 L 10 0 0 0 9 -1 -- -- -- -- -- ONT: Markham 23
62 Joe Labate L 13 0 0 0 21 -2 -- -- -- -- -- MN: Eagan 23
25 Jacob Markstrom G 26 0 0 0 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- Sweden: Gavle 26

E X A C T L Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Totals   178 292 470 638    

Eww.. what a crappy team lol.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Totals   178 292 470 638    

Thanks captain obvious... if you aren't going to actually read the post don't reply.  I stated that I wasn't going to predict trades etc because that's impossible and ridiculous.  I wanted to see what type of team we would have with our current assets.  I clearly know our team will change, but our problems year-to-year remain (cap space over the next two years).  Even if we make trades, the value will be roughly equivalent either way...

• Cheers 1

You are forgetting that...

The current CBA is a 10-year deal, expiring after the 2021-22 season.

The NHL could have chose to opt-out of the CBA on September 1, 2019. The NHLPA could have choose to opt-out of the CBA on September 16, 2019. If either of them had opted out, the CBA would expire on September 15, 2020.   The NHL announced on August 30, 2019 they would not opt out on September 1. The NHLPA announced that they would not opt out on September 16, 2019.

So what the means is that there will most likely be an opportunity for compliance buyouts in the new CBA.

Compliance Buyout

During the buyout periods in 2013 and 2014, teams were permitted two compliance buyouts (also known as amnesty buyouts). They do not count against the cap.

Edit:

Actually...it doesn't matter since the major cap headaches would have been gone by the time the new CBA rolls around.

Edited by BPA

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You put a lot of work into this but took the thinking too far when you said this.   Of course there is.   You have too many assumptions that can be addressed in a different outcome but to assume you cannot sign to cornerstones at same time when ever single other asset is movable is simply a silly premise.   Other teams have done this and Canucks will have the ability to do this as well.

I stated that I was going to go through this exercise while retaining our current assets.  I know there will be trades but I still maintain that signing both Pettersson and Hughes to long term contracts in the same year will deplete the depth of our lineup to an extent that is simply unwise.  I challenge you to create a lineup in 2021-2022 that has a decent amount of depth and doesn't sacrifice Eriksson for a first round pick.  It is nearly impossible... and if you think anyone will want to take Roussel, Beagle, or Ferland off of our hands as a cap dump you're kidding yourself (or simply shortsighted into thinking we won't have to give up futures to make this happen).  Either one of Pettersson or Hughes will sign a bridge deal or our future assets will have to be sacrificed to get rid of cap space (see Patrick Marleau) or our depth will be depleted just to fit Hughes and Pettersson under the cap on long term deals...

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

You are forgetting that...

The current CBA is a 10-year deal, expiring after the 2021-22 season.

The NHL could have chose to opt-out of the CBA on September 1, 2019. The NHLPA could have choose to opt-out of the CBA on September 16, 2019. If either of them had opted out, the CBA would expire on September 15, 2020.   The NHL announced on August 30, 2019 they would not opt out on September 1. The NHLPA announced that they would not opt out on September 16, 2019.

So what the means is that there will most likely be an opportunity for compliance buyouts in the new CBA.

Compliance Buyout

During the buyout periods in 2013 and 2014, teams were permitted two compliance buyouts (also known as amnesty buyouts). They do not count against the cap.

That won't help.  All of our overpaid players' contracts are done by the end of that season.  That was part of the point of my post.  We are in tight until the end of the 2021-2022 season and then things will open up...

1 minute ago, jammin_jk said:

That won't help.  All of our overpaid players' contracts are done by the end of that season.  That was part of the point of my post.  We are in tight until the end of the 2021-2022 season and then things will open up...

Perhaps it's bridge deals for both Petterson and Hughes.  Sucks but it is what it is.  I think Tanev and Stecher will not be resigned.  And JB still can make trades to get some cap relief.

IF(big if) we could win it all this spring!!!, & I were in the GM's chair, I'd be merciless, & ship out lots of contracts right afterwards.

It's a good time to keep getting younger, faster & bigger. So in general, very much hoping for a strong finish to season(& strong play in postseason). Should make our assets more desirable this summer. Then peripheral deals aren't such a PITA to consummate.

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Perhaps it's bridge deals for both Petterson and Hughes.  Sucks but it is what it is.  I think Tanev and Stecher will not be resigned.  And JB still can make trades to get some cap relief.

I don't see any way Tanev stays.  He won't be at his best when we're competing and will want to sign for too long.  If we're paying him 4.5-5 million when we're ready to compete that is a waste of cap.  We may take Stecher to arbitration since he's RFA.  I still think one of Petey or Hughes signs long term and it will be Petey.  Because Hughes came from the NCAA and because of cap structure he has no arbitration rights so we can go deep into the summer/beginning of season (like Nylander or Boeser, etc.).  Not ideal, but we do have those rights...

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

IF(big if) we could win it all this spring!!!, & I were in the GM's chair, I'd be merciless, & ship out lots of contracts right afterwards.

It's a good time to keep getting younger, faster & bigger. So in general, very much hoping for a strong finish to season(& strong play in postseason). Should make our assets more desirable this summer. Then peripheral deals aren't such a PITA to consummate.

That's a HUGE if... but I agree... sell high for sure.  The problem is that the value of Ferland, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, Baertschi,  and Sutter is all low compared to their salaries right now.... hence the pickle that we are in.

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

As much as I would love to move Tanev for picks (Relax!, lol)

The question is, who is our best RHD.........why would you trade your best RHD?

Hint...…….no, its not Stecher!

Our defense will be worse next year... other than the natural exponential improvement of Hughes and maybe implementing Rafferty and/or Juolevi into the lineup (if they are any good).  Our best RHD outside of Tanev is Myers.  I'm sure if he had Hughes on his left side they would be okay together.

imo, before we win a cup, the team needs to be;

stronger on the puck

faster to the puck

heavier play in our end

better on the forecheck

better at cycling the puck

take the body more in our own end

more consistant PP. more fluid play. 

and be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. 

they have solid goaltending

excellent on face offs

keeping the opposition to the outside

reasonable good penalty killing

the right players on the power play but not always moving where they shoot from. need more hughes type on power play. 

imo, we are about 3 years from being in a cup final. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jammin_jk said:

Our defense will be worse next year... other than the natural exponential improvement of Hughes and maybe implementing Rafferty and/or Juolevi into the lineup (if they are any good).  Our best RHD outside of Tanev is Myers.  I'm sure if he had Hughes on his left side they would be okay together.

The Huggy and Myers experiment has been tried. 2-3 games i believe. I don't believe putting 2 guys with the instinct to rush the puck ever pays off.Maybe it was to short of  a trial period, but didnt look very effective to me.

• Cheers 1