The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Utilize the Depth

Rate this topic

goblix

Flu is going around teams atm too, so there's that.

Team looks flat every once in a while, all teams do.

But also, you need to look at systems vs systems too.

Teams with the ability to generate quick chances from around the perimeter, plays against Green's blocking the middle of the ice strategy.

This team will get steamrolled in the playoffs vs a possession team, unless they change up how they defend.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, xereau said:

Flu is going around teams atm too, so there's that.

Team looks flat every once in a while, all teams do.

But also, you need to look at systems vs systems too.

Teams with the ability to generate quick chances from around the perimeter, plays against Green's blocking the middle of the ice strategy.

This team will get steamrolled in the playoffs vs a possession team, unless they change up how they defend.

I agree with you but unfortunately I have seen nothing to suggest this may be in their future.

This road trip started in San Jose and then a back to back morning fiasco in long island is there a team further away from San Jose probably not and then Carolina so the boys are in it bad having to also play the Bruins who are by far one of the dirtiest teams in the league then onto Minnesota we have points in 3 out of 4 and hope we can get another win to end this trip off.

Still leading the division so this is great.

1 hour ago, goblix said:

What are your thoughts on rest and swapping out for “fresh” depth or what players in Utica are you dying to take a peek at in the NHL

I agree with pretty much everything you're suggesting but I have a feeling they're (coaching & management staff) prioritizing wins/points over anything else right now so they can lock-up that coveted playoff spot. 

If we, by chance, lock up a playoff spot with some time left in the regular season, it would be a good idea imo to pick out a couple key guys and see if there are opportunities to give them a rest where appropriate.  Until then (locked up playoff spot) I can accept going forward as is with the calculated risk of fatigue being the consequence. 

Not sure one or two substitutions would solve the 'fatigue' problem.

Also don't consider guys like Benn to be as effective - not as mobile nor as good a puck mover imo as Fantenburg - so I'm not sure that would enhance their chances against a team like Boston.

Also not sure a basketball analogy applies - where a starting 5 typically eats the majority of minutes - and the 6 to 10 (if a team goes that deep into their bench) don't really compare to the relative balance of 4 lines and 3 pairings....

I'd like to see Bailey too - for curiosity sake to see how well he complements the team - but I'm not sure it was the time / not the most opportune circumstances to be testing new players in the lineup (I imagine Utica might have them prepared fairly well from a systems viewpoint, but I'm not sure they gain enough to make the risk worthwhile when the team has been rolling fairly well.

Games like last night happen to every team - treat it like the games in Florida - forget it - win the next one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm yes and no on this. As above, once we have secured a spot I think we can focus in on managing minutes. Rather than sit out players (although maintenance days aren't out of the question), I think we could lower/balance some minutes out throughout the lineup.

Where I'm opposed to this is being concerned about last night's game as it seems to be where this is being triggered from. We aren't going to win out the games for the rest of the season. We will have some dud games as even the best teams do. When a team is hot, it's unlikely there will be roster changes no matter how tired the players may be because it's not going to be easy to single out which player to pull out. We will see if there are any against Minnesota. Fantenberg got the fewest minutes last night, so it wouldn't surprise me if Benn draws back in for him. I could see Bailey drawing in, but for who, I'm not certain yet.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Agree, OP..was hoping they'd insert the two big bodies for the Cane game, in fact

MacEwen - AG - winger

Schaller - Beagle - Bailey

Woulda' sat Rous & Suts for the b2b. Don't need injury-reaggravation, & Rous has been meh lately.

fully agree on Rou.. he's skating hard but seems out of sync, no production from that 3rd line.. 

I would support resting a few guys, particularly the injury prone guys, we all know who they are

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

You mean calling up a big gritty hungry forward who's rested and ready to prove himself? 

Nahhhh, they just call up guys so they get a good seat in the pressbox for a few games.

Couldn't agree more with you.  Green has this thing about having extra players called up and then sitting them in the press box..  Leave them down in Utica if you are not going to play them where they can continue their development.  Edler looked like a pylon out there last night.  Same with Myers.  Even Hughes, Stetcher and Tanev were giving the puck away all night.  A true sign of fatigue.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Agree, OP..was hoping they'd insert the two big bodies for the Cane game, in fact

MacEwen - AG - winger

Schaller - Beagle - Bailey

Woulda' sat Rous & Suts for the b2b. Don't need injury-reaggravation, & Rous has been meh lately.

How does putting a guy who scored 3 hat tricks in 4 games with Schaller and Beagle make any sense? Square peg, round hole my dude.

I'd like to see what Bailey can do, but it was a 'big game's against a cup contender and top team. They looked tired, 2 AHL players wouldnt have changed the outcome.

17 minutes ago, Davathor said:

How does putting a guy who scored 3 hat tricks in 4 games with Schaller and Beagle make any sense? Square peg, round hole my dude.

I'd like to see what Bailey can do, but it was a 'big game's against a cup contender and top team. They looked tired, 2 AHL players wouldnt have changed the outcome.

Yeah..fair with that. Just really hope Bailey can get a shot to show us what he's got. I'm open to/somewhat hopeful of significant lineup-turnover, from this season, to next. Provided they make the dance(& get the TBay nonsense dealt with); I'm eager that we keep adding youth, size & speed.

JB & TG deserve trust on their lineup-calls, but I do feel using the depth could be the ticket.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, goblix said:

Was musing on the effects of fatigue specifically after the Boston game. A tired team on 3 games in 4 days it’s hard to differentiate from effort, passion or just straight up fatigue taking effect.

Benn sitting out as a 7th, Bailey and other Utica players that have earned a look up here. We should be utilizing that kind of benefit with regards to tough stretches in the schedule and specifically but not exclusive to veterans.

Edler is a warrior and has played well in the new defensive look. He’s settled into a proper 2/3/4 role and off the PP. that said he looked tired and super slow. Benn likely would’ve been a better option in either the Boston game or Carolina. Maybe the travel itself is the problem but a mental day off of the NHL game is worth the look into the benefits from fatigue.

We can also move this towards the forward group. Beagle looks beaten up and could likely skip a game along the way. Erickson is the same as Edler in that he could use a rest day every now then.

i understand that there is a need to ice the best possible players to give the best chance to win but a couple of fatigued players causes holes and can break a system and thus should be thought of in terms of decision making. As an added benefit you actually get to see what you got in Utica which could impact TDL decisions.

I know this isn’t a new idea, basketball rests players all the time but the NHL seems to be lagging behind in that mentality.

What are your thoughts on rest and swapping out for “fresh” depth or what players in Utica are you dying to take a peek at in the NHL

I feel like Green gets a giant pass because we have been winning, but this is yet another example of how 

he fails as a coach. He has TONS of options but very rarely takes a chance because hes a crappy coach.

He failed again to prepare the team for the challenge that Boston represented just like he did with Tampa

just like he did with Winnipeg. Games That he KNEW ahead of time it was going to require some special attention

to get by those teams, and he did absolutely nothing. He needs to go.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I agree with pretty much everything you're suggesting but I have a feeling they're (coaching & management staff) prioritizing wins/points over anything else right now so they can lock-up that coveted playoff spot. 

If we, by chance, lock up a playoff spot with some time left in the regular season, it would be a good idea imo to pick out a couple key guys and see if there are opportunities to give them a rest where appropriate.  Until then (locked up playoff spot) I can accept going forward as is with the calculated risk of fatigue being the consequence. 

then why do they ever play Demko?

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Couldn't agree more with you.  Green has this thing about having extra players called up and then sitting them in the press box..  Leave them down in Utica if you are not going to play them where they can continue their development.  Edler looked like a pylon out there last night.  Same with Myers.  Even Hughes, Stetcher and Tanev were giving the puck away all night.  A true sign of fatigue.

Agreed on the last part, on the first part is getting them practicing with the team and then being put in isn't necessarily a bad thing but we'll know soon enough.. personally I think that's the case but could be wrong ...

9 hours ago, goblix said:

Was musing on the effects of fatigue specifically after the Boston game. A tired team on 3 games in 4 days it’s hard to differentiate from effort, passion or just straight up fatigue taking effect.

Benn sitting out as a 7th, Bailey and other Utica players that have earned a look up here. We should be utilizing that kind of benefit with regards to tough stretches in the schedule and specifically but not exclusive to veterans.

Edler is a warrior and has played well in the new defensive look. He’s settled into a proper 2/3/4 role and off the PP. that said he looked tired and super slow. Benn likely would’ve been a better option in either the Boston game or Carolina. Maybe the travel itself is the problem but a mental day off of the NHL game is worth the look into the benefits from fatigue.

We can also move this towards the forward group. Beagle looks beaten up and could likely skip a game along the way. Erickson is the same as Edler in that he could use a rest day every now then.

i understand that there is a need to ice the best possible players to give the best chance to win but a couple of fatigued players causes holes and can break a system and thus should be thought of in terms of decision making. As an added benefit you actually get to see what you got in Utica which could impact TDL decisions.

I know this isn’t a new idea, basketball rests players all the time but the NHL seems to be lagging behind in that mentality.

Worked for the Raptors...

I would love to see more Comets get a few NHL games here and there.  That really builds organizational strenth as then Utica would become a destionation where developing players can get a legit shot in the show...

Plus some bigger bodies playing desperate NHL style call up games could really give the club a job.   Bailey and Big Mac would be 2 for sure i think should get some games...  I would like to Jouls and Raf / Brise  get a few games each as sell...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, goblix said:

You read my mind, i thought for sure that one of the call ups would be inserted,  we also knew Boston plays a heavy dirty game. And I like your idea of Ben injected, he has experience with Boston and is tough

3rd game in 4 nights would have been the right timing IMHO 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I feel like Green gets a giant pass because we have been winning, but this is yet another example of how 

he fails as a coach. He has TONS of options but very rarely takes a chance because hes a crappy coach.

He failed again to prepare the team for the challenge that Boston represented just like he did with Tampa

just like he did with Winnipeg. Games That he KNEW ahead of time it was going to require some special attention

to get by those teams, and he did absolutely nothing. He needs to go.

unnamed.gif