The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jack Campbell, Kyle Clifford to Maple Leafs for Trevor Moore, 2020 3rd-round pick, conditional 2021 3rd-round pick

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

What I’m saying is the fan base hates him based on the eye test and Dubas loves him based on analytics. Their fans don’t seem to think he’s even an NHL caliber d man, or at least not one that should be in your top 6.  

Yes.

it's a common theme among fan 'eye-tests'.

Particularly in the era of amateur public analytics - where smarmies of wannabee bloggers armchair their teams on the internet....and sell their stories, 'educating' fanbases online.

ie here in Van -where smarmies of folks have maintained for years that Edler sucks, Sbisa was the worst D in the NHL (only to be taken by Vegas and earn a top 4 role on a team that went to the Finals, outcompeting gaggles of NHL4D in Vegas in doing so....and then there was Gudbranson, who was Vancouver's Ceci, except in the midst of a transition (who now finds himself in Anaheim's top 4 - after a pretty solid short stint in Pittsburgh (who gave up Pearson to acquire him).   The storyline continues....Gudbranson is utter junk - not an NHL D - so says the eye-test and amateur analyticz.  But NHL franchises appear to differ.

The irony - for me - is that the market we're now discussing - the Leafs' market - seemed to believe that Jake Gardiner was 'all that'.....

How functioning was their 'eye-test' when he was a Leaf?

Interestingly - he went to Carolina - a team arguably as good (or better) than the Leafs....

He's -20 there (the worst on the team, by a longshot, no one is even close ) - with 56.3% ozone starts - while his principal partner has been Pesce (+9, 49.3% ozone starts).

If they could have afforded him, he'd probably have been back there....maybe Ceci (aside from losing Brown in the process) - isn't such a curse.

• Like 1

Just now, Tower102 said:

A 3rd rounder for Campbell would have been fine. But it was 2 3rds with a chance of one becoming a 2nd. 

If you want to look at the trade as Campbell = a 3rd thats fine but then they lose the Moore+ 3rd/2nd for Clifford. 

For me Moore=Clifford. Clifford has the experience, Moore has the PK time and better contract.

Moore is nothing close to Clifford. Like I said in earlier post Clifford has more playoff games than Moore has total NHL games. And Clifford has 2 cup rings. He was a throw in for cap purposes and a player had to go back.  LA eating 50% of Clifford contract.

Leafs have a younger better Timashov to replace Moore who is 24yrs old only 51 career games. Clifford is a huge upgrade. 

3rd for Clifford is very fair. Contract year so he'll be playing his best hockey. Big, tough, abrasive, fast skater. Defensively responsible  and yes he does PK.

Exactly what Leafs need. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Moore is nothing close to Clifford. Like I said in earlier post Clifford has more playoff games than Moore has total NHL games. And Clifford has 2 cup rings. He was a throw in for cap purposes and a player had to go back.  LA eating 50% of Clifford contract.

Leafs have a younger better Timashov to replace Moore who is 24yrs old only 51 career games. Clifford is a huge upgrade. 

3rd for Clifford is very fair. Contract year so he'll be playing his best hockey. Big, tough, abrasive, fast skater. Defensively responsible  and yes he does PK.

Exactly what Leafs need. 

Leafs suck old smelly socks.  Who friggin’ cares what’s best fir them?  (Except Mrs. Alf, who is now making a stew in her Leaf’s crockpot)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Leafs suck old smelly socks.  Who friggin’ cares what’s best fir them?  (Except Mrs. Alf, who is now making a stew in her Leaf’s crockpot)

Dont pretend you arent excited about this trade Alfie. 

You might fool some ppl on here but i know you sleep in Leafs jammies. 

• Haha 2

Leafs will make the playoffs. No doubt.

4th best record. 19-9-3 in the NHLsince Keefe took over as coach.

Slow start 9-10-4 under Babs before they fired him.

Now that they have a legit back up goalie they'll be even better. Hutch was 4-9-1 this season. Horrible goal tending. They'll be at minimum .500 and likely better with their backup being Campbell. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

yes, Clifford does pk?

Right.

0:07 seconds per game this season

0:00 last season

0:02 the season before

0:01 in 2016/17

0:05 in 15/16

0:02 in 14/15

Never been a penalty killer in his career - in case reality/facts matter.

I've had people argue to me on this forum that stats don't matter and only form opinions.

So...  Thats like your opinion man

• Haha 1