The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Spitballing) Trade deadline predictions

So, I'm bored at work here, and thought that it was time that I inflict upon you all another patented PhillipBlunt headache-inducing topic. Yeah, you're welcome.

What I want from you, outside of the use of a bank account in which to temporarily place $40,000,000 from a prince in Nigeria (you'll be handsomely rewarded, he promised), are predictions on what you think might happen trade-wise around the league this season. I'll also accept well thought out memes and gifs.

Mods, please advise if I need a better label than the one I've used.

I'll go first.

I have feeling that the way the Flames season is going, that Johnny Gaudreau could be traded to Philadelphia with Shane Gostisbehere and Justin Braun heading to Calgary.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Mods, please advise if I need a better label than the one I've used.

I dunno, seems like a solid tag to me.  I feel like the whole idea behind tagging proposal threads is that they don't look like actual trades have happened.  Your tag succeeds in that regard.

As for the purpose behind your thread...

Prediction 1 - JB stands pat.  The Canucks are too close to a playoff spot to be sellers, too far from a championship team to be buyers.

Prediction 2 - Hall to Pittsburgh.  He hasn't exactly worked out in Arizona and is headed for free agency.  The Penguins actually have some cap space and could make it work.  Picks and/or prospects in return.

• Thanks 1

I don't realistically think these will happen but would like to see the Canucks trade Benn to help free up some cap space for the off season to try to keep everyone else. I honestly wouldn't expect much back... maybe a 3rd or 4th?

Carolina might be interested in taking him to help their D depth with Hamilton out and have the cap space. 

Maybe Toronto trades Kapanen to Philly for Ghost. Toronto gets defense help, philly gets rid of a guy rumoured to be on the way out. Philly then deals a pick to Van for Benn to replace the lost LHD depth from losing Ghost. 

Edited by Tower102
  • Thanks 1

Very intrigued on what JB will do. This will be an indicator on what his plan is going forward with this roster. Especially on defense. We already have a glut of dmen (Benn has been scratched for like 2 months now) and we have Tryamkin coming in late March/April. Not to mentione Juolevi, Rafferty, Brisebois all needing looks in the big club. I think they need to move somebody on the roster on the backend. Even though we're pushing for the playoffs, we do have to move some cap and bodies out so that we can make room for the young guys. If Tanev is not moved we would probably lose him as a UFA this summer. Would not be the end of the world since we have a number of players that can take his spot, but not ideal to lose him for nothing. Someone brought up an idea that we can treat Tanev as a rental without actually having to pay to bring him in, which I can live with. But again, not ideal.

It'll be very interesting to see which direction JB and company take it.

EDIT: I guess my prediction would be that someone is moved off the roster on the backend. Lame I know... What I WOULD like to happen is Tanev get moved for a pick (1st, 2nd or even a 3rd doesn't matter) but just to recoup one of the picks we gave up in the Miller trade.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For wks I've predicted a very tame TDL. Teams are cap-maxed like college students with credit cards. Further the doers & scr*wers have parted like the Red Sea.

Too many sellers make ValueVillage prices. Everyone's aware of 2020 draft class, & ELC's are all the rage.

For me, the most interesting question is what the Desert rabid Dogs do with Hall? Imagine they traced out their masterplan with a finger on a sand dune.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Prediction 2 - Hall to Pittsburgh.  He hasn't exactly worked out in Arizona and is headed for free agency.  The Penguins actually have some cap space and could make it work.  Picks and/or prospects in return.

Interesting idea!

Bet he becomes Iginla 2.0 and doesn't fit into lineup anywhere  lol

• Haha 2

I think we trade Baer for a late round pick and then stand as we are, as far as the main team is concerned. I think they will keep Benn as insurance and probably look at moving him during summer. 

I don't think we need any major trades, and I don't think Benning does either. Just tweaking, could see some prospects moved around, just balancing moves. I think we need to shed at least one contract for College targets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think Benning will do anything, if the Canucks are in a playoff or wildcard spot. What I find great this year, is that it's February and the entire D core is healthy. Weird. Maybe the addition of Ferland again will be like adding a player at the TDL? Motte might be back as well?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd prefer JB add some small depth pieces to the Dcore.  Outside of the top 7 guys we got, man I'd be very very hesitant to recall someone to due NHL spot duty other than maybe Sautner.

Also wouldn't mind to add another centre since Tyler Graovac is basically LTIR atm and having zero natural centres in Utica under contact atm.

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I should reiterate that this thread is about trades league-wide and not just Canucks specific.

We are all Canucks

When someone is on the trade block he is a Canuck

When someone is a free agent he is a Canuck

We have a roster of 549

What are you new here or something?

• Haha 3