The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Spitballing) Trade deadline predictions

8 hours ago, Tower102 said:

I don't realistically think these will happen but would like to see the Canucks trade Benn to help free up some cap space for the off season to try to keep everyone else. I honestly wouldn't expect much back... maybe a 3rd or 4th?

Carolina might be interested in taking him to help their D depth with Hamilton out and have the cap space. 

Maybe Toronto trades Kapanen to Philly for Ghost. Toronto gets defense help, philly gets rid of a guy rumoured to be on the way out. Philly then deals a pick to Van for Benn to replace the lost LHD depth from losing Ghost. 

Ghost is not the d man Toronto needs or should acquire.

For cap space next year

Baertschi 3.6 for a pick

Eriksson 6 for a pick

Schaller gone ufa 1.9

Sutter gone for a pick 4.750

Benn gone for a pick 2

Leivo not re signed 1.5

Stecher will be an rfa 2.3

Tanev will be ufa 4.5

Virtanen rfa

Gaudette rfa

Motte ufa

Fantenberg ufa

25ish off the books

Miller Pettersson Virtanen 

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

Ferland Gaudette 

Roussell Beagle 

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty

Bring Tryamkin back, invite Podkolzin and Hoglander for next year's training camp to see how they look., aswell as college players.

sign ufa such as Ryan Reaves

Kick tires on Byfuglien and Pietrangelo (Settle for Tanev)

Inquire as to the cost of Josh Anderson out of Columbus, use players listed above under cap space to make an offer.

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

Ferland Gaudette Anderson 

Roussell Beagle Reaves 

Macewan

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Tryamkin Tanev 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Demko / Marky

I'm looking Canes & CBJ 

To Canes Tanev & 5th rd 2021 

To Van  1st rd 2020 conditional ( if Canes miss playoffs and Tor pick is top #10) We get both 2nd round picks 2020 Rangers & Canes 

To CBJ Sutter, Schaller & 3rd or 4th rd 2020

To Van Jenner 

Don't know if these would work and would still need pick up RHD to replace tanev 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

Johnny ain’t going no where with those garbage offers especially to flyers that rumour just gross. Calgary gonna want a lot more then those offers...

I know, I just want to see it. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Ghost is not the d man Toronto needs or should acquire.

For cap space next year

Baertschi 3.6 for a pick

Eriksson 6 for a pick

Schaller gone ufa 1.9

Sutter gone for a pick 4.750

Benn gone for a pick 2

Leivo not re signed 1.5

Stecher will be an rfa 2.3

Tanev will be ufa 4.5

Virtanen rfa

Gaudette rfa

Motte ufa

Fantenberg ufa

25ish off the books

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

Ferland Gaudette 

Roussell Beagle 

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Myers 

Juolevi Rafferty

Bring Tryamkin back, invite Podkolzin and Hoglander for next year's training camp to see how they look., aswell as college players.

sign ufa such as Ryan Reaves

Kick tires on Byfuglien and Pietrangelo (Settle for Tanev)

Inquire as to the cost of Josh Anderson out of Columbus, use players listed above under cap space to make an offer.

Pearson Horvat Boeser 

Ferland Gaudette Anderson 

Roussell Beagle Reaves 

Macewan

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler Myers 

Tryamkin Tanev 

Juolevi Rafferty 

Demko / Marky

Very optimistic. 

More like Baer gone with a pick or us retaining.

Eriksson gone with a HIGH pick of prospect for a low pick and likely salary retained.

Even if we did decimate our picks to make this happen: Baer, Eriksson, Schaller, Benn, Leivo, Stetcher, and Sutter all off the books leaves us with 20.4 million

To resign our guys you want it will cost around: (don't bother arguing the exact numbers as know one knows what someone will sign for but this is a general ballpark for the total)

Tanev - 5m (.5m increase)

Markstrom - 5m (1.4m increase)

Virtanen - 3m (2.75m increase)

Gaudette - 2m  (1m increase)

Total: 5.65m increase

Add:

Anderson - 2m

Reaves - 2.5m

Pietrangelo - 8m

Total 12.5m

This gets us just under the cap, but puts us in cap hell the next year with the only contracts off the books the next year are Edler at 6m and Pearson and 3.75m in order to resign Petterson, Hughes and Demko which combined will likely cost us around 20m. 

The canucks will do minor moves like shopping a Benn and Baer, letting Schaller and Lievo walk and hopefully that is enough to resign Tanev, Markstrom, Virtanen and Gaudette to we can ice the same team next year we have right now.

Edited by Tower102
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Very optimistic. 

More like Baer gone with a pick or us retaining.

Eriksson gone with a HIGH pick of prospect for a low pick and likely salary retained.

Even if we did decimate our picks to make this happen: Baer, Eriksson, Schaller, Benn, Leivo, Stetcher, and Sutter all off the books leaves us with 20.4 million

To resign our guys you want it will cost around: (don't bother arguing the exact numbers as know one knows what someone will sign for but this is a general ballpark for the total)

Tanev - 5m (.5m increase)

Markstrom - 5m (1.4m increase)

Virtanen - 3m (2.75m increase)

Gaudette - 2m  (1m increase)

Total: 5.65m increase

Add:

Anderson - 2m

Reaves - 2.5m

Pietrangelo - 8m

Total 12.5m

This gets us just under the cap, but puts us in cap hell the next year with the only contracts off the books the next year are Edler at 6m and Pearson and 3.75m in order to resign Petterson, Hughes and Demko which combined will likely cost us around 20m. 

The canucks will do minor moves like shopping a Benn and Baer, letting Schaller and Lievo walk and hopefully that is enough to resign Tanev, Markstrom, Virtanen and Gaudette to we can ice the same team next year we have right now.

Plus the luongo penalty and spooner buy out will be off the books so theres another 5 million in cap.

plus the cap increase over the next few years.

Eriksson + pick for Kesler who immediately goes on ltir for the next 2 years

• Cheers 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Plus the luongo penalty and spooner buy out will be off the books so theres another 5 million in cap.

Players want to bring down escrow, which is about 20% every year.  That means they don’t want to increase the cap in a fake way anymore with the escalator clause.  That means the cap will have to grow naturally.  That means the cap stays close to where it is fir the next few years.  

• Thanks 1

I’m bad at this. But here’s my guess as to where Martinez goes (two trade destination guesses), and the expected return. I reiterate, I’m bad at this:

To NSH: Alec Martinez

To LA: 2021 2nd (they don’t have a 2020), Alexandre Carrier, Marc del Gaizo

To FL: Alec Martinez

To LA: 2020 2nd round pick, Carter Berger

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Trebreh said:

you completely missed the point of those trades tho... valuable cap space.

how did the lineup get weaker? you think Sutter and Roussel moves the needle for this team?

Benn has been terrible hence being scratched for the past like 2 months. we have Brogan Rafferty waiting too. 

Roussel looks like a shell of himself and hasn't shown much grit...

we still have plenty of grit after those trades. we have MacEwen, Ferland, Beags and Virtanen, Bo and Miler, Motte, Schaller.

Kole Lind is not even that steep of a price to pay especially when you are trying to unload a whole salary with term left. 

If kovy works out for us, then great we get a pure goal scorer on the 2nd line but if he doesn't, he is gone in the summer and clear even more cap. 

the main thing is CAP SPACE. look what cap space gave us last summer. J.T Miller. 

I got that it is about clearing cap space. I guess our priorities are just different. I wouldn't be against clearing some cap, but not at the expense of current team quality. They should ice the best team possible and try to make to postseason. The west is tight, every point counts.

Trading Roussel (grit, pest, passion), Baertschi (first skill winger call-up option), Sutter (solid bottom 6 center), and Benn (solid 6/7-D) takes away a lot of options that we may need down the stretch. Depth is one strength of the team so far, don't tinker with it.

Kovalchuk has had a good run with Montreal, but it has been only 14 games. On LA he sucked. He is 36 years old, the last time he scored more than 20 in a season in the NHL was 2012, he is a career -146 and is not known for physcial play or good defense, but for showing up when he needs a new contract. He could work as a trigger man on the PP replacing Boeser, Miller or EP. That's not our biggest issue. Putting Kovy on the 2nd line leaves the team with one decent match-up line, if anything he should play with Gaudette in a sheltered offensive role.

Ferland, Leivo, Motte are out. Giving the 3rd/4th-line winger spots to Macewen/Bailey is a big risk and there would be hardly any call-up options for the bottom 6, possibly Jasek. That's it. Same for the top-6. Boucher, Goldobin could certainly play, but Baertschi is a notch above them. Not much after that. One injury could derange the entire puzzle.

The team would also lose grit and physicality. Something that has already been identified as a problem for post-season play would become even worse. Still not convinced.

Montreal beat writer Eric Engles has Edmonton, Calgary and Boston pegged as the three teams showing the most interest in Kovalchuk. 

He has Nate  Thompson listed as the player most likely to be moved. With teams showing interest in Weise as well 

I don’t think any of those guys are a great fit for Vancouver 

If we are at the top of the division a day before the deadline, I propose the following:

Canucks trade

Stetcher, Madden, 2nd in 2021 to ANA for Rickard Rakell

(Rakell can move up and down the line up, play C, RW, and LW - ANA may need more but we could add depending on what it is)

Canucks Trade

Baertschi to PIT for a 4th round pick

(If they are unable to land Hall, Kredier, etc then Baertschi is good option for thier top 9 heading into the playoffs)

Canucks trade

Goldobin and 4th round pick (PIT) in 2021 to MTL for Kovalchuk

(Vanek like return for MTL, we get a top 6 winger who could produce some magic w/ Pettersson and Miller)

Canucks trade

Tanev w/ extension in place to PHI for Gostisbehere

(Tanev moves closer to home, PHI gets a shutdown defenseman and Vancouver gets another mobile offensive defenseman that adds more speed to our slow backend to help with our transition game - he likely finds his offensive game here in Vancouver)

Miller Pettersson Kovalchuk

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Rakell Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Ferland

Motte

Leivo

Edler Gostisbehere

Hughes Myers

Trymakin/Fantenberg/Benn Rafferty

12 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

If we are at the top of the division a day before the deadline, I propose the following:

Canucks trade

Stetcher, Madden, 2nd in 2021 to ANA for Rickard Rakell

(Rakell can move up and down the line up, play C, RW, and LW - ANA may need more but we could add depending on what it is)

Canucks Trade

Baertschi to PIT for a 4th round pick

(If they are unable to land Hall, Kredier, etc then Baertschi is good option for thier top 9 heading into the playoffs)

Canucks trade

Goldobin and 4th round pick (PIT) in 2021 to MTL for Kovalchuk

(Vanek like return for MTL, we get a top 6 winger who could produce some magic w/ Pettersson and Miller)

Canucks trade

Tanev w/ extension in place to PHI for Gostisbehere

(Tanev moves closer to home, PHI gets a shutdown defenseman and Vancouver gets another mobile offensive defenseman that adds more speed to our slow backend to help with our transition game - he likely finds his offensive game here in Vancouver)

Miller Pettersson Kovalchuk

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Rakell Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Ferland

Motte

Leivo

Edler Gostisbehere

Hughes Myers

Trymakin/Fantenberg/Benn Rafferty

I don’t know if tgT gets it done for Rakell. I guess it depends on their opinion of Madden. 

I don’t see Pittsburgh taking on Baertschi with his extra contract year. There are better options available 

the rumoured ask for Kovalchuk is at least a 2nd.  I can’t see them having any interest in Goldobin. They already have a player that dominates the A but sucks in the NHL (Hudon) 

i really don’t follow Philly enough to comment on the last one 

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Spooner is off that year, Luongo is an extra year. God it is annoying that we wouldn't be in any kind of cap crunch right now if the NHL didn't back screw us on the Luongo recapture.

personally would just like to do what we gotta do to get rid of LE.  

Are we resigning Tanev? Ill bet JB knows the answer to that question! If Tanev is not resigning then I would sacrifice his playoff contribution for a nice pic. 

Can we afford to get rid of stetcher? whats he worth?  can he be adequately replaced from the Ahl?  

Benns not playing anyway.  A late pic for someones playoff depth. 

I know I'm depleting the roster here, but I think we need to still suffer a bit for the long term goal and to shed cap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

personally would just like to do what we gotta do to get rid of LE.  

Are we resigning Tanev? Ill bet JB knows the answer to that question! If Tanev is not resigning then I would sacrifice his playoff contribution for a nice pic. 

Can we afford to get rid of stetcher? whats he worth?  can he be adequately replaced from the Ahl?  

Benns not playing anyway.  A late pic for someones playoff depth. 

I know I'm depleting the roster here, but I think we need to still suffer a bit for the long term goal and to shed cap.

I like your philosophy here, but JB can’t do any of what you’re suggesting.  He gave up our first fir Miller (clearly Miller was worth even more) so JB is all in.  

• 2 weeks later...