The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Feb. 06, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

JB signed him to a one way contract for 900k.  He is playing in the minors.  Not the NHL.  I’m sure he would have been moved already if an other team was interested.  That is a bad signing.  Luckily it’s only one year.  

even if he was on a two-way, his cap hit would be the same. as others have pointed out, because his cap hit is under $1m, it doesn't count against our cap while hes in the minors sooooooooooo you're wrong

Edited by Yung1

7 hours ago, apollo said:

A guy producing 44 points in 42 games in Utica and helping us win games and develop our team... Is dead weight? 

Not a penny counts towards the cap on his contract. You really might just hate Benning if u consider this a bad signing by him. 

You act like he's 2 mill dead cap space for us. Maybe you didn't know that he doesn't count against our cap? 

But even then, I'd give my head a shake if I was you. The kids doing incredible for us down in Utica and developing his talents. 

Apparently nobody read the meaning of my original post.  JB is not good with spending money on player signings.  Goldobin was my weakest evidence, that’s why I listed him last on my list.  However it is still a bad signing.  Obviously only Francesco Aquilini and myself think that paying an AHL player 10 times the AHL average player salary (90k) is a bad signing.  Apollo... you do know the difference between one way and two way contracts?  It doesn’t matter that the 900k doesn’t count towards the cap in the NHL he is still a vastly overpaid AHL player that has not been called up this season.  He is not in the Canucks plans.  He is dead weight... regardless of his point per game in the minors and his great development according to Apollo.

If we can trade Goldy for a late round pick that would be great!  But, more likely he will walk in the off season.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  I just think it’s funny how neurotic CDC posters are.   I instantly get trolled if I say anything negative about the Canucks.  I’m actually a die hard Canucks fan that wants them to win a cup before I die!  I’m allowed to analyze mistakes I see the team making.  I’ve had a lot of experience watching the Canucks making mistakes over 4 decades.;)

ps. Fire Green

ps. Just Kidding 

55 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

even if he was on a two-way, his cap hit would be the same. as others have pointed out, because his cap hit is under $1m, it doesn't count against our cap while hes in the minors sooooooooooo you're wrong

Not my point.  I never said it counted against the cap.  Wow the trolls are out in force!

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

That's absurd.

One way contract means nothing - it simply means Goldobin makes 900k salary while playing in the AHL.

It has absolutely zero cap implications for the Canucks - anything under 950k does not apply when it's assigned to the AHL.

Yes I know that.  It is still a bad signing when you can sign an AHL point per game player for 90k instead of 900k.  So are you saying it a was good signing?  Because I bet if you asked JB or FA and they might say mistakes happen and are a part of doing business.

• Wat 1

54 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Apparently nobody read the meaning of my original post.  JB is not good with spending money on player signings.  Goldobin was my weakest evidence, that’s why I listed him last on my list.  However it is still a bad signing.  Obviously only Francesco Aquilini and myself think that paying an AHL player 10 times the AHL average player salary (90k) is a bad signing.  Apollo... you do know the difference between one way and two way contracts?  It doesn’t matter that the 900k doesn’t count towards the cap in the NHL he is still a vastly overpaid AHL player that has not been called up this season.  He is not in the Canucks plans.  He is dead weight... regardless of his point per game in the minors and his great development according to Apollo.

If we can trade Goldy for a late round pick that would be great!  But, more likely he will walk in the off season.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  I just think it’s funny how neurotic CDC posters are.   I instantly get trolled if I say anything negative about the Canucks.  I’m actually a die hard Canucks fan that wants them to win a cup before I die!  I’m allowed to analyze mistakes I see the team making.  I’ve had a lot of experience watching the Canucks making mistakes over 4 decades.;)

ps. Fire Green

ps. Just Kidding 

Goldy was an RFA, it was a great move retaining him. 

Yes I know the difference between 900k and 90k and 1 way and 2 way. 

Rich teams flex on their minor league players and Aquilini is doing just that. Look at Toronto, they have lots of high paid AHLers. 

We're a rich team now. It's not 2002 when our 35 million dollar Canucks took on the 70 mill Redwings. 

Benning is very good with signing players. Ferland under value, Roussel under value, Bo, Brock, Edler, the list goes on... 

Everyone likes to point out Erikssons deal but that was %100 a smart move at the time. Loui was supposed to be magic with the twins. 

I have complete faith in Jim signing contracts, drafting players, making trades, and leading us to the promise land. 

43 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Yes I know that.  It is still a bad signing when you can sign an AHL point per game player for 90k instead of 900k.  So are you saying it a was good signing?  Because I bet if you asked JB or FA and they might say mistakes happen and are a part of doing business.

Rich teams do this. 

We aren't the Ottawa senators :picard:

Toronto signed 5 guys for their AHL team all on 1 way deals because they value good players on their AHL team. 

Yet you fail to realize that and just want to bash the GM that has your team in FIRST PLACE.... 

26 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Some ahl players do get paid 900k a season and since the Canucks run Utica  ,why not sign Goldy  to contract for a year , , it doesn't affect the big club cap space if he plays in the AHL, , and it  gives Utica some talent to win  , have to make 2 teams successful  just part of doing business 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Mac beat that loser down bad.  Refs don’t jump in and it would have been stretcher time for the loser from Loserville.  And Jake beat down his loser.  Two beat downs.  Two losers getting beat down.  Loved it.  That’s hockey.  Beat down the losers. 

Lol! Good stuff Alf. 

will ferrell loser GIF

9 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

ps. Fire Green

ps. Just Kidding 

I disagree. As long as u have put in some thoughts into ur post and back up ur idea, people dont just start trolling u out of the blue. 

It's just that some of those panicky posters bring up pretty untruthful ideas without backing them up. It brings so much negative energy to the threads. 

And it's those that I find neurotic, not the other way around. 

From what I have seen here, it's most often the other way around. 

1. Team loses

2. ALL fans get mad but some of them can't control themselves 

3. They write non-sense comments that they can't even back up 

4. Readers get irritated and ends up giving out a reactionary response (remember, nobody is happy that the team is losing)

5. They troll back at the readers some more 

6. *Repeat

They disappear from GDT/PGT when the team is winning tho. 

I know there is a varying age group in CDC.

But those that are adults should grow some balls and figure out a way to control their frustrations. 

If u can't do that, then post here and that's fine too.

But expect to get a response if u write something that u can't back up. 

Going back to ur point, 

I find ur other point valid. And I dont defend some of the bad signings that have been made. 

But as a GM, there are other aspects that comes with the job than just signing free agents.

I also don't overlook some of the good signings he made. Not to mention his accomplishments at the Drafts. 

We tell the team to grow balls all the time. Maybe it's time that some of the fans grow some too. (Not directed towards u)

13 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Not my point.  I never said it counted against the cap.  Wow the trolls are out in force!

1. you're using the word troll wrong

2. business is all about risk management. the canucks took a very light risk ($900k, a truly inconsequential amount of money to an nhl budget) on a high reward project. if goldy learned to compete and play defense every shift, he would have been a hell of a player at $900k. this was a classic low riak-high reward play. you make that signing everytime.

13 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Please stop.  This is a ridiculous presumption on your  part - to speak for FA as if this was a 'mistake'.

Goldobin was qualified last summer.  He had 27 pts in 63 NHL games - and now is 7th in AHL scoring.

AHL ppg players making 90k are ELCs - ie young 20-21 yr old draft picks hoping to step up to the NHL.

It's not uncommon for tweeners in that range (ie 23/24yr olds) to get a one-way deal, particularly ones that have made NHL teams in the recent past and are tweeners/high end AHL players that could just be there for a cup of coffee

That is the case here - as it is with Boucher last year - who had a one way deal.

There are literally about 10 ppg players in the AHL - about half of whom are prospects (ie 20,21,22 yrs old).  The rest of the franchises combined have about 3 of those 'veteran' AHL top scorers. Literally 10 of the top 20 scorers in the AHL are in that category.

The Canucks have the AHL's leading scorer in Boucher, and Goldobin is 7th. Bailey is 12th, Lind is 17th, Rafferty 19th.  

Some people can see the wisdom, not the error, of investing in your AHL franchise wadr.

But going on as if ppg AHLers are a dime a dozen that can be readily signed for 90k is delusional.

Edited by oldnews