The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] ANA - VAN Trade Deadline

I usually spit out some proposals 

Anahiem said they'd be willing to take up some bad contracts. Might want to pull out some good players they got.

Vancouver trades

Troy Stecher 2.325M/1 year

Loui Eriksson 6M/3 years

Sven Baertschi 3.366/2 years

Olli Juolevi ELC 863,333/2 years

Tyler Madden ELC 

2020 3rd

2023 3rd(becomes 2nd if one of Manson/Rakell re-sign in 2022, becomes 1st if both re-sign in 2022)

for

Richard Rakell 3.789M/3 years

Josh Manson 50% retained 2.05M/3 years

Rakell is a former 30 goal scorer on a bargain contract, only 26 too. On pace for 40-50 on a crapshoot of a team. Would be a nice top 6 add. Manson is a physical DFD that has played 20 minutes a game the past 3 years and has been one of ANA's top PKers. Definite upgrade on Stech at 2.05M and since he can play in the top 4. Gives us a ton of cap freedom while adding some key pieces. Downside is we gotta give up some young assets in Madden and Juolevi. Both have some promise but you gotta give to get. 

Anaheim's rebuild would benefit from this deal. Juolevi could turn out to be a top 4 D for them. Madden has promise as a 3rd round pick. They get a potential 1st and another early round pick. Stecher could turn out to be a good player for them to keep around for the whole turnaround.

Overall the type of deal that helps us take that next step but we take a bit of a hit in the long run. Gives us a lot of options with the cap moving forward, Especially if we trade Sutter, which we should this off-season We've got a good cupboard of prospects so I think we can handle the hit we'll take. The possibility of Tryamkin coming back would be a huge bonus but I think we can take the hit regardless

Do we need to add or take away? Or is this "god awful Dog wtf you smoking bruh"

Go ahead, flame away.

• Haha 1

You can’t possibly think this is a deal that Anaheim would accept?  It cost Toronto a 1st to get out of 1 season of Patrick Marleau at $6.25m 

You’re asking the Ducks to take on 2 more years of Ericksson at $6m and 1 more year of Baertschi at $3.37m. On top of that you want them to retain $2m a season for another 2 seasons.  So you’re essentially asking them to take $12m of dead cap space next year and additional $8m cap space the following season. 
oh. And you’re asking them to include the best 2 players in the deal. 

In return you’re offering a bottom 4 RFA D with arbitration rights, a former high pick who has had non stop injury issues since being drafted. (Granted he seems to be back on track. But there’s no guarantee he’ll ever meet his potential), and undersized C prospect. A 3rd round pick this year and a conditional pick FOUR years from now. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

No to Rakell, if only for the fact that we would have to protect him in the Expansion Draft (Lotto, Pearson, Cap, Jake and Gaud should be the guys at this point).  

Also Anaheim, as mentioned, would not take this deal since it's our dead weights for one of their best guys.

• Like 1

So clearly we'd have to add/improve. 

Swap Juolevi with Gaudette, Madden with Rathbone. Add 2020 2nd on top of the 3rd

Getting warmer? Too Warm? Can I get what your smoking?

Flame on folks. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Haha 1

You forgot to add three first rounders.

The idea of dumping cap is a good one, but that doesn't mean it's going be pretty. I think we would need to dump/move Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Baertschi and Stetcher over the next two years to be in a decent spot cap wise. That doesn't mean some team is going to do us a favour and take back some cap for only a 3rd, we're likely going to have to pay up to get rid of Eriksson specifically. This is the result of careless spending and highlights why the claims that "the cap doesn't matter right now!" from the last couple of seasons were ridiculous. Roussel and Beagle are nice players to have, but there's no way I would choose them over Stetcher, or Madden, or any of our other prospects that might be used to dump cap. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

So clearly we'd have to add/improve. 

Swap Juolevi with Gaudette, Madden with Rathbone. Add 2020 2nd on top of the 3rd

Getting warmer? Too Warm? Can I get what your smoking?

Flame on folks. 

Eric Stephens is the Ducks' long time beat writer who is now with the Athletic.  He thinks a 1st round pick would not be sufficient for the Ducks to take the remaining year of Backes.  For Arizona to move the final year of Stepan he thinks it would cost Barrett Hayton or Soderstrom.  Eriksson has 2 years left so if that's the baseline a trade seems unrealistic.  

The Ducks don't seem to want term according to him.  Their prospects are not quite ready so instead of signing a cheap UFA to a 1-year deal they are willing to take on a bad short-term contract for futures.  

For the Canucks Eric Stephens sees Baertschi or Benn (who is now D7) as cap dumps the Ducks would be willing to take for either a good prospect or a draft pick.  He suggests the following trade:  Baertschi or Benn + Woo + 2nd or 3rd round pick for Nick Ritchie if Ferland isn't right.

---------------

Whether with the Ducks or any other team the Canucks are not in a strong bargaining position.

CapFriendly shows the Canucks with 30K in end of season cap space ever since Ferland was put on LTIR.  Although Ferland is getting close to a return it doesn't look like they'll be able to come out of LTIR soon with Leivo, Graovac and Motte still sidelined.  Teams can see that 30K it's not sufficient to cover the bonuses of Pettersson/Hughes who are likely going to hit their schedule A of 1.7M combined.   

Earlier this season a GM was explaining to Dhaliwal that the Canucks cannot take LTIR contracts because of their bonus exposure with Hughes/Pettersson.  LTIR limits how much cap space can be banked and often creates bonus overages that count against next season's cap.  

No team was apparently willing to give Ferland 4 years because of that LTIR risk.  Their concerns have been confirmed this season.  Ferland's LTIR risk gives even more leverage to other teams.  Pettersson and Hughes will still be bonus eligible next season and the Canucks likely want to continue to add prospects going forward - Juolevi, Podkolzin are going to be bonus eligible too which makes Ferland's LTIR risk even more problematic.

Other GMs know that the Canucks have had trouble finding a role for Eriksson, that Baertschi is not part of their plans after spending the majority of the season in the AHL.  They are likely going to exploit that leverage.  

Edited by mll

I think @Alflives is right and that Eriksson will walk away this summer, once his bonus is paid. I think Eriksson knows that if he tries to stay another season, its likely going to be in Utica, and after his 3 million bonus is paid this summer, he's only walking away from 5 million. I think there's a good chance that he will retire from the NHL and look at finishing his career in Sweden if he still wants to play any further. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You can’t possibly think this is a deal that Anaheim would accept?  It cost Toronto a 1st to get out of 1 season of Patrick Marleau at $6.25m 

You’re asking the Ducks to take on 2 more years of Ericksson at $6m and 1 more year of Baertschi at $3.37m. On top of that you want them to retain $2m a season for another 2 seasons.  So you’re essentially asking them to take $12m of dead cap space next year and additional $8m cap space the following season. 
oh. And you’re asking them to include the best 2 players in the deal. 

In return you’re offering a bottom 4 RFA D with arbitration rights, a former high pick who has had non stop injury issues since being drafted. (Granted he seems to be back on track. But there’s no guarantee he’ll ever meet his potential), and undersized C prospect. A 3rd round pick this year and a conditional pick FOUR years from now. 

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think it is terribly wrong/unfair to characterize Madden as an "undersized C prospect".  He has a legit chance at the Hobey Baker and if the draft were re-done today would go between 20-30 OA instead of the 3rd round.  

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think it is terribly wrong/unfair to characterize Madden as an "undersized C prospect".  He has a legit chance at the Hobey Baker and if the draft were re-done today would go between 20-30 OA instead of the 3rd round.  

Even if I’ve undervalued Madden, your proposal is incredibly lopsided and unrealistic. What you’re offering isn’t nearly enough to achieve what you’re  asking. 

16 hours ago, mll said:

Eric Stephens is the Ducks' long time beat writer who is now with the Athletic.  He thinks a 1st round pick would not be sufficient for the Ducks to take the remaining year of Backes.  For Arizona to move the final year of Stepan he thinks it would cost Barrett Hayton or Soderstrom.  Eriksson has 2 years left so if that's the baseline a trade seems unrealistic.  

The Ducks don't seem to want term according to him.  Their prospects are not quite ready so instead of signing a cheap UFA to a 1-year deal they are willing to take on a bad short-term contract for futures.  

For the Canucks Eric Stephens sees Baertschi or Benn (who is now D7) as cap dumps the Ducks would be willing to take for either a good prospect or a draft pick.  He suggests the following trade:  Baertschi or Benn + Woo + 2nd or 3rd round pick for Nick Ritchie if Ferland isn't right.

---------------

Whether with the Ducks or any other team the Canucks are not in a strong bargaining position.

CapFriendly shows the Canucks with 30K in end of season cap space ever since Ferland was put on LTIR.  Although Ferland is getting close to a return it doesn't look like they'll be able to come out of LTIR soon with Leivo, Graovac and Motte still sidelined.  Teams can see that 30K it's not sufficient to cover the bonuses of Pettersson/Hughes who are likely going to hit their schedule A of 1.7M combined.   

Earlier this season a GM was explaining to Dhaliwal that the Canucks cannot take LTIR contracts because of their bonus exposure with Hughes/Pettersson.  LTIR limits how much cap space can be banked and often creates bonus overages that count against next season's cap.  

No team was apparently willing to give Ferland 4 years because of that LTIR risk.  Their concerns have been confirmed this season.  Ferland's LTIR risk gives even more leverage to other teams.  Pettersson and Hughes will still be bonus eligible next season and the Canucks likely want to continue to add prospects going forward - Juolevi, Podkolzin are going to be bonus eligible too which makes Ferland's LTIR risk even more problematic.

Other GMs know that the Canucks have had trouble finding a role for Eriksson, that Baertschi is not part of their plans after spending the majority of the season in the AHL.  They are likely going to exploit that leverage.  

hmm good points

10 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Even if I’ve undervalued Madden, your proposal is incredibly lopsided and unrealistic. What you’re offering isn’t nearly enough to achieve what you’re  asking. 

It was not my proposal and I was generally agreeing with you, just wanted to defend Madden.

• Upvote 1