The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make Canada What again?

Warhippy

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Los Angeles. 

I found the people in Los Angles mind their own biz, actually it’s pretty much the way it is in all the major cities. It’s not that they are rude, they just mind their own business. I’m not sure where you lived before but after living in LA for however long you have been there, you don’t feel like the people who surround you complain a lot less than people in Vancouver? I find it hard to believe you don’t get a more positive vibe in your daily routine in LA. It’s an amazing place. 

1 hour ago, Hey Guys!! said:

I’ve worked and lived all over the world and I can tell you with great Shame and certainty that Canadians are actually some of the most whiny, jaded, entitled, offended and frankly rude people on the planet. We have an arrogance, a chip on our shoulder. We think we are better than the US and constantly criticize things about them like Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders when in reality nobody cares what Canada thinks and it’s really actually none of our business. The US doesn’t have a problem with us, they laugh at us, we are that angry nerd in high school that nobody even realizes is angry. Canadians think it’s hip to trust the government with their tax dollars. They think money will make it colder outside. They cry about pipelines, cry about people crying about pipelines. The country is becoming more and more “progressive” while concurrently becoming either homeless or in insurmountable debt. We have been taxed relentlessly for generations and have some of the most embarrassing infrastructure in the developed world. 
I actually choose to work out of country cause I hate being around Canadians in the workplace. There is no respect for chain of command. This board is a perfect micro example of a Canadian workplace. CDC is Notoriously known for supporting a certain narrative. Anyone walks out of line gets pecked at like a chick with a crooked beak until they get themselves banned for trying to beat them off. 
Canada is a beautiful country filled with miserable people. 

24 minutes ago, Hey Guys!! said:

You can’t see it until you live somewhere else then return. You don’t even really notice it while you’re gone either. It’s when you come back you realize how grumpy Canadians are. I am Canadian. I’m not separating myself at all. Look at this rant, it’s so Canadian. I use to have a huge chip on my shoulder about the US. I use to think they were the arrogant ones, but that’s not the case at all. Canada has no flavour, no identity, no history. It’s like we are lost in the world. When someone asks where you are from and you say Canada. They will usually say Eh!! Or sorry eh? Houuuse. And laugh. We are a joke. JT didn’t help that image either. He is actually 100% exactly what the world thinks a Canadian is. Softly stuttering while trying to find the least offensive thing to say. 

this is one of the most ridiculous set of posts I've seen in a very long time. And lazy. Have you ever bothered to travel across Canada? Do you even know any Canadian history?

I think that your chip is alive and well. But thanks for demonstrating who would be on a thread like Hip is talking about. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The more places I go the more I appreciate home. 

One of the things that makes me proud to be Canadian is -

Canada prides itself at home and abroad as a country made up of a cultural mosaic rather than a cultural melting pot. The mosaic is based on our belief that Canada as a whole becomes stronger by having immigrants bring with them their cultural diversity for all Canadians to learn from.

So I guess if I had one suggestion to make Canada great again, it's for more people to remember this. 

--------

Plus j'y vais, plus j'apprécie la maison.

L'une des choses qui me rend fier d'être Canadien est ...

Le Canada est fier, au pays et à l'étranger, d'un pays composé d'une mosaïque culturelle plutôt que d'un creuset culturel. La mosaïque est basée sur notre conviction que le Canada dans son ensemble devient plus fort en faisant en sorte que les immigrants apportent avec eux leur diversité culturelle pour que tous les Canadiens apprennent. 

Je suppose donc que si j'avais une suggestion pour rendre le Canada encore meilleur, c'est pour que plus de gens s'en souviennent.

* used Google translate to make official:gocan:

Edited by Canada Hockey Place
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is stereotyping and it's the basis of bigotry, racism, and everything wrong with Canada/the world.  You say "we" but go on to exclude yourself.

Sometimes what we're seeing/getting is a reflection of what we're giving.  This post hints of that to me.

I believe Canada, as many other countries, is falling victim to leaders who use their power for agendas that aren't necessarily in the best interest of "the people"...but are for "the rich people".

Other than that, this country's great.  And the people are all different....you get whiny, jaded, entitled and the flipside, in some very caring, selfless individuals.  Like any other place.

So do people have to post their net worth as the criteria of how good a Canadian you are? Your guilty of the same point you are criticizing.

1 hour ago, Hey Guys!! said:

I’ve worked and lived all over the world and I can tell you with great Shame and certainty that Canadians are actually some of the most whiny, jaded, entitled, offended and frankly rude people on the planet. We have an arrogance, a chip on our shoulder. We think we are better than the US and constantly criticize things about them like Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders when in reality nobody cares what Canada thinks and it’s really actually none of our business. The US doesn’t have a problem with us, they laugh at us, we are that angry nerd in high school that nobody even realizes is angry. Canadians think it’s hip to trust the government with their tax dollars. They think money will make it colder outside. They cry about pipelines, cry about people crying about pipelines. The country is becoming more and more “progressive” while concurrently becoming either homeless or in insurmountable debt. We have been taxed relentlessly for generations and have some of the most embarrassing infrastructure in the developed world. 
I actually choose to work out of country cause I hate being around Canadians in the workplace. There is no respect for chain of command. This board is a perfect micro example of a Canadian workplace. CDC is Notoriously known for supporting a certain narrative. Anyone walks out of line gets pecked at like a chick with a crooked beak until they get themselves banned for trying to beat them off. 
Canada is a beautiful country filled with miserable people. 

I've met tons of Canadians who are hard working, respectful people who believe in the "chain of command". They enjoy the US, and visit friends and family down there.

I'm thinking that your rampant generalization about Canadians is a facet of what's wrong with the country. Your vitriolic statements make it clear that you're a jaded, whiny, entitled, offended and frankly rude person.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hey Guys!! said:

I found the people in Los Angles mind their own biz, actually it’s pretty much the way it is in all the major cities. It’s not that they are rude, they just mind their own business. I’m not sure where you lived before but after living in LA for however long you have been there, you don’t feel like the people who surround you complain a lot less than people in Vancouver? I find it hard to believe you don’t get a more positive vibe in your daily routine in LA. It’s an amazing place. 

I find that my day to day experiences, barring terrible traffic and the insanely high quality of Mexican food here, is more or less the same as they were in Vancouver. About the most "ignorant" thing I regularly hear when I tell people I'm Canadian is "Y'all are so nice!". While that may be a stereotype, I can think of much worse things than people thinking I'm predisposed to be nice; so it really doesn't bother me at all. 

9 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Immigration is great when they are able and willing to assimilate into Canadian culture. We are a nation of immigrants that still has a national identity to uphold which is increasingly difficult when people cling to their homeland and lack appreciation for their new country’s values. Many are great, a majority I’m sure, but a few bad apples always leave the lasting impression that skews the new Immigrant perception for some. Combine that with rising cost of living and tough job prospects people look for a scapegoat to blame.
I don't fully agree with the sentiment but understand the train of thought, it doesn't help with our government being increasingly divisive with identity politics.

Alas I still find Canada pretty great despite its faults, even though I am bias and fortunate in some circumstances, I see how some have developed a bitterness towards newcomers after slipping through the cracks and struggling to achieve what they want to. Sad.

I agree with you on assimilation.  Part of the bad apples you mention include the criminal element.  A hundred years ago or so, there were plenty of issues with various Euro-immigrants who took to crime.  Today, it's much the same with our newer immigrants.

I'm not claiming that anywhere near a majority of immigrants are a criminal problem, but gang activities in particular get the public's attention.  And that scares and/or pisses off a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've met tons of Canadians who are hard working, respectful people who believe in the "chain of command". They enjoy the US, and visit friends and family down there.

I'm thinking that your rampant generalization about Canadians is a facet of what's wrong with the country. Your vitriolic statements make it clear that you're a jaded, whiny, entitled, offended and frankly rude person.

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything right now but there is that old cliche that springs to mind: "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, inane said:

Loud minority does not mean anything. There are always going to be racist douchebags, that doesn’t mean it’s some kind of movement or majority. 

also, get off Facebook lol

I've tried, desperately.  Facebook is almost essential now for any business, a strong social media presence is the difference between business and bankruptcy.

I've tinkered with my page and presence a half dozen times.  If I completely restrict or eliminate everything from my personal page everything organic disappears and I am forced to pay Facebook/Instagram for any level of interaction or sight.  I am forced to maintain a valid and viable presence just to ensure my business page continues to be seen without being forced to pay every day.

Kinda sucks really

51 minutes ago, Hey Guys!! said:

You can’t see it until you live somewhere else then return. You don’t even really notice it while you’re gone either. It’s when you come back you realize how grumpy Canadians are. I am Canadian. I’m not separating myself at all. Look at this rant, it’s so Canadian. I use to have a huge chip on my shoulder about the US. I use to think they were the arrogant ones, but that’s not the case at all. Canada has no flavour, no identity, no history. It’s like we are lost in the world. When someone asks where you are from and you say Canada. They will usually say Eh!! Or sorry eh? Houuuse. And laugh. We are a joke. JT didn’t help that image either. He is actually 100% exactly what the world thinks a Canadian is. Softly stuttering while trying to find the least offensive thing to say. 

I've worked as far away as China and as far south as Belize, as far north as Greenland.

Sorry eh...your statements and blame game are just whining and hold little weight.  That's not arrogance that's pretty straight forward.  I am willing to be a number of posters on here are very well traveled as well and would attest to that.  I won't argue that there are entitled people here, arrogant as well.  but your summation is not only out to lunch it is just basically your opinion and that's fine but holds no real weight

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, JC2 said:

I personally hate the whole what country is the greatest debate because in the end there is no greatest, all nation's no matter how big and small have their strengths and weaknesses

If I could think of one single thing that would improve Canada it would be to start actually putting the people first. Instead of fighting over what it costs why can't the government realize how it can improve the lives of the people. I'm talking about things like a national daycare plan and better medical, more public transportation, affordable housing for all. Nothing ever happens because it always come down to if it's profitable enough. All they ever do is raise taxes to maintain stays quo but I'd bet most people would be ok paying more taxes if they were actually used to improve upon our lives.

Same. I loath hearing a country or it's people refer to their homeland as the "best place of Earth". I hate hearing Vancouverites talking about how "world-class" their city is in some desperate attempt at being spoken of in the same breath as far superior cities. Or how BC has taken to calling itself the most beautiful place on Earth. Seriously? Get over yourself, BC.

Same goes for the US. The jingoistic nature of the mindset of many Americans is both annoying and pathetic in it's myopic perspective. Every country has it's beauty that's specific and special, and every country has warts that are ugly and constant. No one is the best. No such thing. Maybe if countries stopped acting like kids competing for supremacy in a playground and actually realized that we're all just a bunch of apes on a rock circling a massive ball of gas and flame, we'd be able to put aside our differences a lot more effectively.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you need to look at who would be both creating and attracted to a site that parrots Trump. Ford Nation, alt-right, #wexit.... its the same gang. 

And then the "list". You and i have both posted the research, and people can easily look it up, immigrants and refugees make money for the host country. Thats why the most recent government panel is recommending an increase between 350,000 to 500,000 more people per year of people from both groups.

Trudeau - well thats just sour grapes and poor leadership choices by other parties. 

Religion - go practice it, on yourself and your family. No problems there either.

Ah the "left" - there's a particular poster that says the Canada of his birth has been irreparably harmed by the left, but when I ask him how or exactly what rights he's lost I get radio silence, or some silly hyperbolic story about something that "could" happen. 

There's a group of people out there that believe other people obtaining rights somehow takes away theirs. Its a perverted view of the Charter and is just wrong.

Taxes - well, show me the evidence for a better system, I'm all ears.

Veterans - a favourite topic of people that want to drape themselves in the flag to bolster their argument. Sad fact is, every gov't since in 1990s has let these folks down.

Homelessness - let me guess, they weren't advocating for more affordable housing? 

That's the list.  It's not the exit, ford, trump types.  I searched numerous pages over numerous platforms and that list was the predominant reason why they felt canada was not great judging by the measure of posts.

It was shocking honestly.  I don't see canada as being "great" per say, but I also feel like great is a mater of perspective, with the size of this nation great might not be in your area but it doesn't mean 3000 kms away is not great or couldn't be great.

Blatant political corruption and incompetence both sides of the aisle and increasing unaffordability of necessities are two key examples of why this country isn't great. Rather, the country, the land itself is perfectly acceptable, beautiful, fantastic, but those running the day to day operations continue to ruin it for everybody else. Of course an immigrant from the Middle East won't agree with this but when they hail from a section of the world where the bar is literally laying on the ground at that point - there's nowhere to go but up. Other exceptions to the rule are those with naturally low standards or brain dead idiots. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything right now but there is that old cliche that springs to mind: "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole".

Totally. Perspective is key. There have been days when I've been the asshole.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Immigration is great when they are able and willing to assimilate into Canadian culture. We are a nation of immigrants that still has a national identity to uphold which is increasingly difficult when people cling to their homeland and lack appreciation for their new country’s values. Many are great, a majority I’m sure, but a few bad apples always leave the lasting impression that skews the new Immigrant perception for some. Combine that with rising cost of living and tough job prospects people look for a scapegoat to blame.
I don't fully agree with the sentiment but understand the train of thought, it doesn't help with our government being increasingly divisive with identity politics.

Alas I still find Canada pretty great despite its faults, even though I am bias and fortunate in some circumstances, I see how some have developed a bitterness towards newcomers after slipping through the cracks and struggling to achieve what they want to. Sad.

There's no way I can argue this at all.  I don't think for a moment that there isn't frustration in people wanting to enjoy our nation and it's laws but only when it suits them.  We see that in almost every major city.  Integration should be key.  But freshly landed immigrants are not going to be their children, or grandchildren.  Those ties to the "homelands" lessen and vanish within a generation or two.

I just found it shocking that the biggest reasons people felt canada wasn't great to them was based on immigration, religion or political leaning.  effectively saying that it's only based on your skin colour, country of origin or personal beliefs that this country isn't great.  But it's still cool, just except those flavours.

• Upvote 1