The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make Canada What again?

Warhippy

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Then everything you purchase would have embedded tax.  Unless you make things yourself. 

No. There is a 300% tariff on dairy. Call it what you want but it's essentially a tax to prop up our dairy industry. 

Just like the carbon tax isn't applied to consumers but if I have to pay it then I put it on consumers...so a tax.

• Like 1

So, 

In essence.  Canada IS great.  It is more the area people are in, the lives they lead and choices they've made that make it not great in their eye?

Which leads to them lashing out and the most obvious choice seems to be immigrants, refugees and anyone who doesn't fall lock step in to their political leanings.

Is that a decent summation then?

Because I am very over talking about Trump and the less we see him outside of his thread the better

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So, 

In essence.  Canada IS great.  It is more the area people are in, the lives they lead and choices they've made that make it not great in their eye?

Which leads to them lashing out and the most obvious choice seems to be immigrants, refugees and anyone who doesn't fall lock step in to their political leanings.

Because I am very over talking about Trump and the less we see him outside of his thread the better

I would say all and all when compared to others Canada is a great country but that doesn't mean we can't strive to do things better.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would say all and all when compared to others Canada is a great country but that doesn't mean we can't strive to do things better.

Absolutely....

.....and I, for one, applaud Albertans for doing their part towards that end, by attempting to leave Confederation. B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nobody is vapid enough to claim it's perfect.  It needs work.

But it's already great in my eyes

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

So, 

Hippy, if Canada has a lot of people who are clearly racist, then we are not in any way great.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hippy, if Canada has a lot of people who are clearly racist, then we are not in any way great.  

Unfortunately I don't think you can completely stomp out racism.  There will always be a few pockets of racist people out there.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:10 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Certainly we have issues (although immigrants/refugees are not one of them) but this already is a pretty great country.

People whinging about their lot in life in a first world country should really open their eyes to what people deal with on an every day basis in San Salvador, Kinshasa and Aleppo....

I've said this before, in several threads: In my almost 60 years in Canada, there have been a few times when I felt like I was one of those who "fell through the cracks", but when I stepped back and really looked at the situation, I wasn't in the position I was in through anything that a Premier or Prime Minister had, or hadn't done. It was because of something I had, or hadn't done and it was up to me to figure out how to improve my lot in life.

The tools are there for people to use, but you have to take the steps. Sadly, it seems that some folks would rather just complain.

Great honest post Rup

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah.

The thing is it is harder to create dialogue that would create any sort of progress as a country between both sides of the political spectrum, in western society at least. It just isn't built that way and with how society is nowadays it really doesn't help. It started with loud minorities giving both the left and the right bad names which in turn the media used to influence people making these minorities bigger and louder as time goes on. Now they don't seem like minorities anymore.

You're either a racist, sexist bigot or are someone an oversensitive PC view who gets offended at everything.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I expect Trump will 3X his black and Hispanic vote this November. If this support climbs to +20% he will have a bigger majority. The 

Trump didn't win the majority last election, so it's impossible for him to get a bigger majority.

He can win his first majority tho!

• Cheers 1