The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd for a Defenseman on a 1-2 year deal

If the Canucks are to be buyers this year, I think they should consider a Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd rounder for a defenseman (which defenseman that may be, I’m not sure).

1) In the short term, Gaudette can easily be replaced by Sutter at center.   In the long term, Madden can replace Gaudette at center (for example - when Sutter’s contract runs out, the Canucks can simply walk away from Sutter and call up Madden).   Things are obviously not guaranteed to pan out that way, but I think the odds are strong enough to take a calculated risk.

2) Given our cap situation, the Canucks will likely have to walk away from Stecher anyways.  

Our defense for the playoffs would be quite strong.

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

So - who is the #NewGuy?   I’m not sure Ristolainen?  Do you have any suggestions?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

If the Canucks are to be buyers this year, I think they should consider a Gaudette + Stecher + 2nd rounder for a defenseman (which defenseman that may be, I’m not sure).

1) In the short term, Gaudette can easily be replaced by Sutter at center.   In the long term, Madden can replace Gaudette at center (for example - when Sutter’s contract runs out, the Canucks can simply walk away from Sutter and call up Madden).   Things are obviously not guaranteed to pan out that way, but I think the odds are strong enough to take a calculated risk.

2) Given our cap situation, the Canucks will likely have to walk away from Stecher anyways.  

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

So - who is the #NewGuy?   I’m not sure Ristolainen?  Do you have any suggestions?

If this “New Guy” on D is Ristolainen then it’s a good deal for us.  I wonder if the Sabres might actually like this deal too?  They get a young centre to help take some of the burden off Eichel.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If this “New Guy” on D is Ristolainen then it’s a good deal for us.  I wonder if the Sabres might actually like this deal too?  They get a young centre to help take some of the burden off Eichel.  

More importantly I bought Glenfiddich 18. Can I get your thoughts?

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Edler-NewGuy

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Benn

Dahlin??? Are you saying we're getting Dahlin?

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That wouldn't be a terrible offer for Risto. Might have to add.

Agreed.  The Sabres would need to add a pick, like their coming third.  Hockey Gaud becomes their much needed number two centre.  And Stecher is instantly their best defensive D man.  I only do this trade as a Canuck because I like Risto plays mean. 

How about we add some Centre's with size before we start subtracting? 

Right now we have, Petey (Injured), Bo, Gaudette, Sutter, and Beagle. Sutter is 30, and Beagle is 34. Long term those two aren't answers down the middle. 

That's over $7 million for two guys at 30 and over. Who are both gone in 2-3 years. 

We'd be better off trying to trade Sutter at the deadline. And keeping Gaudette.

Sutter has 11 points. Gaudette has 23. Gaudette is also 23 years old. 

We need to start moving pieces, that are replaceable. Not moving cheaper, and younger options. 

Basically we need Benning to start drafting with size, speed, character, grit, and skill. 

A well balanced team is what we are looking for. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about we add some Centre's with size before we start subtracting? 

Right now we have, Petey (Injured), Bo, Gaudette, Sutter, and Beagle. Sutter is 30, and Beagle is 34. Long term those two aren't answers down the middle. 

That's over $7 million for two guys at 30 and over. Who are both gone in 2-3 years. 

We'd be better off trying to trade Sutter at the deadline. And keeping Gaudette.

Sutter has 11 points. Gaudette has 23. Gaudette is also 23 years old. 

We need to start moving pieces, that are replaceable. Not moving cheaper, and younger options. 

Basically we need Benning to start drafting with size, speed, character, grit, and skill. 

A well balanced team is what we are looking for. 

We have Petey and Bo.  That’s great fir centres.  

Not sure where he's fits in the ranks in the draft this year.

One of Bob Mac's honourable mentions is Jack Finley of the Spokane Chiefs. 

- 6'5"

- 207 lbs

- Shoots Right

- Centre

13 goals, 29 assists, 42 Points in 47 games. 26 PIM's, +23

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

And if someone is injured. Bye Bye Playoffs. 

You need to start thinking more Alf and drinking less. 

Miller can play centre.  Podkolzin looks like he would be an excellent centre.  Keppen is playing centre now.  Focht is a centre.  Madden is a centre.  IMO we draft the BPA at the draft, regardless of position.  

For the time after Sutter and Beagle we have Petey, Bo, Gaud (unless we trade him) Miller, Podkolzin (who looks like a natural centre to me) and that group of young guys.  I’d trade Gaud for Risto because I think we need Risto more than we need Gaud. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  The Sabres would need to add a pick, like their coming third.  Hockey Gaud becomes their much needed number two centre.  And Stecher is instantly their best defensive D man.  I only do this trade as a Canuck because I like Risto plays mean. 

3ojvvo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Miller can play centre.  Podkolzin looks like he would be an excellent centre.  Keppen is playing centre now.  Focht is a centre.  Madden is a centre.  IMO we draft the BPA at the draft, regardless of position.  

For the time after Sutter and Beagle we have Petey, Bo, Gaud (unless we trade him) Miller, Podkolzin (who looks like a natural centre to me) and that group of young guys.  I’d trade Gaud for Risto because I think we need Risto more than we need Gaud. 

Podz is 1-2 years away, and we haven't even seen him at the NHL level. 

You move Miller to centre you are still leaving another hole. 

You're basically robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

We'd be better off trying to shed some older players even if the return is minimal. Bring in guys like Rafferty, OJ, and next year Jett Woo. 

Face it, the Canucks are not in the position of strength to make a deal at this point. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Podz is 1-2 years away, and we haven't even seen him at the NHL level. 

You move Miller to centre you are still leaving another hole. 

You're basically robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

We'd be better off trying to shed some older players even if the return is minimal. Bring in guys like Rafferty, OJ, and next year Jett Woo. 

Face it, the Canucks are not in the position of strength to make a deal at this point. 

You heard it here first.  Podkolzin will play centre for us.  He is a natural fir that position.

How do we shed guys like Sutter and Beagle?