The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are YOUR top 5 memories as a Canucks fan?

Rate this topic

Roberts

'1)  Courtnall scoring in game 6 of 1994 SCF, not called a goal then Rangers scored.  After video review, Courtnall's goal was allowed and the Canucks went on to Game 7.

2)  Burrows scoring the OT winner against Chciago. "Slayed the Dragon"

3)  Game 6 loss against Boston in 2011 SCF.

4)  Meeting Trevor Linden and getting him to autograph my white Sitck in the Rink retro jersey.  He was addressing the Prince George Chamber of Commerce meeting during the training camp held there. I walked in wearing my jersey and saw him in the corner of the room. I decided that I needed to take the opportunity to talk to him and started walking towards him.  At the same time, he started walking back to the centre of the room.  I thought that he was going to walk right by me, but he came directly to me and said that he wanted to meet the best dressed man in the room.

5)  Not directly a Canuck memory, but I went to a Canucks game against Florida wearing my Linden jersey.  After the game went to a bar in Cocoanut Grove (Miami) still wearing the jersey.  A buff guy walked up to me and asked if I was from Vancouver.  I said that I lived about 500 miles north of there. He then said that he played for the  BC Lions.  Not recognizing him, I asked his name.  He said "Buck Pierce" and showed me his Grey Cup ring that he won that year as the QB.  He also said that Trevor give him the same jersey that I had because they both wore #16.

The first three I attended the games.  Obviously, number 3 was not a good memory but I still enjoyed the trip and experiencing my second game 6 of a SCF with the Canucks playing.  I'm 1 and 1 so far, hopefully the third time will be the charm.  I'm thinking that I am probably the only paying fan to see both Game 6's.

Edited by Red Wooster
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Number one memory would be burrows slaying the dragon, still gives me chills

Then I remember a luc Bourdon slap shot, top corner that always makes me smile:)

Honestly most all of the Sedins magic the performed, to many good memories to list

Kirk McKlean stacking the pads against Calgary was and still is my favorite goalie highlite

Anything Bure(before then end)

1. Burrows the dragon slayer

2. Bieksa Mystery puck goal 

3. pettersson nhl debute goal 

4. Jovo celebrating in the box

5. Sedin in 4xOT vs stars 

keep in mind I was only 3 during the 94 cup run, I missed a lot of great moments but A proud Canuck fan for 21 seasons now, right from the age where I pretended to be bertuzzi with my mini stick between periods scoring on make believed goalies 

Edited by LegionOfDoom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

1.  Slaying of the Dragon

2.  The '94 run in its entirety

3.  Bieksa, in general (but let's say the stanchion)

4.  Trevor Linden "comes home"

5.  So many others...but, on a personal note, meeting some of my hockey heroes:  Gino, Trevor, Pavel, Dave B, Jyrki, etc..  Also, having the great opportunity in 2011 to get to see games at ice level and enter through the "back door" where we got to wander behind the scenes.  Kept it on the down low/played it cool.  But to have the Sedins walk past, post game...speaking in Swedish.  The Johns come over for a hello.  Seeing Punch McLean down there many games and hearing his wonderful stories.  Almost unknowingly wandering into the wives'/family room..."hey, but there are snacks in there".  Seeing/touching Lu's net before it was dragged out onto the ice.   Seeing all the CBC equipment set up back there before the game started.  We used to go in/out through the zamboni entrance...was a special feeling.  The best usher in the world...Vern.

Today is bittersweet for me.   A long time neighbourhood "Mom" from Steveston passed suddenly yesterday.  Got a diagnosis a month ago...was working out and arranging the local Christmas charity parade a month before that.  I grew up with a yard attached to theirs..her 3 kids are longtime friends.  She was a school teacher and just a really good person.

She was a season ticket holder...invited me to a game not long ago but I had to decline.  So sad now that I couldn't have made it.

Her seat will be empty Wednesday and some of the tears I'll shed at the game will be for her.  RIP Maureen.

Oh geez...put the Sedins last home game in there.  Attended with my son...was much more than a hockey game, it was a very special celebration like no other.

Reading others' picks I think we should change this to top 500.

• Like 3

Hmmmm, great question!

1. Bure's elbow on Churla will always stand out as a stand out statement

2. Tiger riding his hockey stick

3. Linden crawling to the bench

4. The Canucks first game

5. Bure's first game with the Canucks

6. Burrow knocking the puck down and going in and scoring the game winner

7. Henrik being bullied by Thornton at the referee's meeting before our playoff game

The last one, still riles me, to this day, and soils my memory of the Sedin's

Amazing players, but Pussy's

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hmmmm, great question!

1. Bure's elbow on Churla will always stand out as a stand out statement

2. Tiger riding his hockey stick

3. Linden crawling to the bench

4. The Canucks first game

5. Bure's first game with the Canucks

6. Burrow knocking the puck down and going in and scoring the game winner

7. Henrik being bullied by Thornton at the referee's meeting before our playoff game

The last one, still riles me, to this day, and soils my memory of the Sedin's

Amazing players, but Pussy's

7). Or maybe he had more class?  When Joe went low Hank went high?  Joe's an ass and that was a good example of it....made himself look like a total clown there. 

We played them in a series...Joe's antics didn't do much to help his team when Henrik's team knocked them/him out.  Perspective.

When an idiot is practicing his craft you don't have to buy in because he wants you to - best ignore it and not participate.   Let it be a glaring statement about him instead. He didn't stoop to his level and that's fine by me.  Joe's a washed up has been never was in my book.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh geez...put the Sedins last home game in there.  Attended with my son...was much more than a hockey game, it was a very special celebration like no other.

Reading others' picks I think we should change this to top 500.

You are so right Deb, I just picked the first five that came to mind, but now that I'm actually putting some thought into it there are so so many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

7). Or maybe he had more class?  When Joe went low Hank went high?  Joe's an ass and that was a good example of it....made himself look like a total clown there. 

We played them in a series...Joe's antics didn't do much to help his team when Henrik's team knocked them/him out.  Perspective.

When an idiot is practicing his craft you don't have to buy in because he wants you to - best ignore it and not participate.   Let it be a glaring statement about him instead. He didn't stoop to his level and that's fine by me.  Joe's a washed up has been never was in my book.

I am old school Deb...…..sorry!

1) Bieksa goal 2011 vs San Jose

2) Bure goal against Flames in 94’

3) Burrows goal game 7 against Chicago in 2011

4) Adams’ goal in game 5 against the Leafs in 94’

5) Prust spearing Marchand in the nuts in 2016.

ps - Cooke’s goal in 2004 game 7 is my real number 5.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Haha 1

Burrows slays the dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuShAiGdvDc

Bure's triple overtime hat trick winner against the Flames to win the 7th game in the 94 series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_UHzwsaqY

Bieksa’s OT winner against the Sharks in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TyVF6hoXQ

Trevor Linden’s performance in Game 6 of the finals. Actually the whole series.
“He will play, you know he’ll play. He’ll play on crutches. He will play, and he’ll play at MSG on Tuesday night!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSdIHTx1-DE

And last but not least, Gino vs. Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_x-kYrZmY

edit: not sure why only links are posted.

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 1

- When Willie Mitchell came outta the box and bodied Toews at center ice
- Jovocop ending Adam Deadmarsh’s career with a single punch 

- Harold Druken sending the Canucks to the playoffs for the first time in forever 

- Todd Bertuzzi crushing Chris Chelios behind the net in the ‘02 (?) playoffs

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1. First Canuck home playoff game in 1975. Sitting in section E row 2 and, this close to the glass, watching a toothless Doug Risbrough and petulant Mario Tremblay skate over during the warmups and (the place was packed even during the warmups) exchanging a barrage of very salty missives with a pair of very impassioned Canuck fans sitting behind me. It was like being invited into some secret adult only world

2. It was likely towards the end of the 78/79 season but the memory is still quite vivid of a 3 to 3 tie between the Canucks and Bruins. The Bruins were up by 3 with about 6 minutes left but the boys somehow mounted a comeback against all odds. What stands out is the customary mass exodus with about 16 minutes left in the third and that my snot nosed posse and me were able to move closer and closer to rink side with each passing minute. There were so few people left in the building that we were able to manage three different vantage points for the three Canuck goals. And nobody in a blue PNE jacket bothered us. And there was no overtime or shootout and we were happy as larks with the tie!

3. Late in the 89/90 season and it’s a non-descript game against somebody, which we were probably losing, buts it is proving to be a particularly strong game for one Vladimir Krutov. He’s dominating in every way as if he has summoned the ghosts of the Red Army and KLM line into his very soul. It’s almost disappointing when he ever has to leave the ice he is so good to the point that my buddies and I start extrapolating this type of effort into the future and are convinced that he was just then finally finding his footing in the league and with the team and would soon be leading us to the promised land! After another amazingly dominant shift he was lined up for the next faceoff like a dutiful student trying to eagerly impress his teacher. Unfortunately, coach Bob McCammon had seen enough and sent out a new line. Kruts turned to the bench, started to raise his arms in protest and, we were sure we could hear it up in the Nose bleed section, let out a sigh of disgust and, I’m convinced it happened just then, lost his will to go on.  

4. A few months later the entry draft was held in Vancouver. The whole event was rather boring and, on our parts, lacking a passionate connection. That is until the Canucks second first round pick. We had all been sold on massive promise of Shawn Antoski and were convinced that he had to be our next pick. Our reaction when the pick came in rivalled anything ever heard in a sports arena. The massive whoops and hollers, high fiving and dancing about made us look like idiots. It was a shocking display that we laugh at 30 years on.

5. LaFayette post. That mouth hanging open sensation in indelibly stamped and won’t be eased until the boys bring the cup home.

• Upvote 1

seeing bure on the ice

live

for the first time

he was that good

that much better then anyone else on the ice

could see immediately where he got his nickname from

no other hockey player i have ever seen live

made the same strong immediate impression on me

and i have seen most live

• Cheers 3

there's a million - both positive & negative, I'll stick to the positives..

narrowing to 5 is hard.. here goes.. 

5/ Linden smashing the Dallas player (was it Norton?) thru the glass.. 

4/ Pettersson's first goal (Smith is STILL looking for it)..

3/ Greg Adams 2OT winner against Toronto.. 

2/ Burrows slaying the dragon.. 

1/ Sedins' final game (I would have never guessed that I would be crying during a hockey game.. as I watched their last shift with Eddie, I stood quietly and thought about everything they had done in their careers. Falling short of the ultimate goal, they still provided some the most magical hockey I'll likely ever witness)..

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

there's a million - both positive & negative, I'll stick to the positives..

narrowing to 5 is hard.. here goes.. 

5/ Linden smashing the Dallas player (was it Norton?) thru the glass.. 

4/ Pettersson's first goal (Smith is STILL looking for it)..

3/ Greg Adams 2OT winner against Toronto.. 

2/ Burrows slaying the dragon.. 

1/ Sedins' final game (I would have never guessed that I would be crying during a hockey game.. as I watched their last shift with Eddie, I stood quietly and thought about everything they had done in their careers. Falling short of the ultimate goal, they still provided some the most magical hockey I'll likely ever witness)..

St louis

• Thanks 1