The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will go exactly as far as the PP takes them.

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

44 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Didn’t work so well in 2011. Even the best power plays in the league are susceptible to droughts. 

I don't think it was a drought, it just got figured out. The Sedin powerplay at the time was something new and innovative. Teams had to study how to counter it because it was multifaceted, but in a playoff like setting, a lot of teams have their powerplays crash because the players become to reliant on the system and when you're playing 7 games against the same team you're going to see the same looks. Teams saw weeks and weeks of the same powerplay in the study room and they knew how to figure it out. What was once an extremely fresh way of breaking into the zone turned into an absolute copycat powerplay (as the league is when something works) by majority of the teams in the league. 75% of teams do the drop pass on the powerplay now. Our team still does it and it's nearly a decade later. How are you supposed to surprise another team when your own fans can predict exactly what's going to happen on the powerplay every night? 

• Like 1

As mentioned about Brock, he.has.a big heavy wrist shot, which is great and accurate it he has time what he doesn't have is a quick release shot, and on a power play it's pass pass quick release,.and Petey with his one timer and Hughes with his shot are both good but you know teams are.looking for that

Also on another note half related to PP, JT Miller passing is no where near the level Petey and Hughes are and his dishes to them are not accurate enough he is tho perfect infront of the net which horvat does well also

Heck I think gaudette one timer off left side would be better then Brock (Gaudette one side Petey other)

But what do I know

• Upvote 1

The last time we relied on the PPx we had back to back Presidents trophies and a trip to the finals.  

I would take that.  

This group is super young compared to the last core that was playing this well.  So plenty of years to learn how to win in the playoffs.  

By the time the Sedins became dominant, they were in their late 20's, early 30's.  Bo, Brock, Petey and Quinn are babies when compared.  

The team also has a goalie and a wizard d man, which were missing elements early in the Sedins career.  

The whistles will be put away really soon, just as Petey.  Well at least the PP won't get as many looks, but the PK will always be busy as the refs even out games.  Gotta make it entertaining.  

16 hours ago, Baggins said:

Unrealistic expectations. Our PP % is higher than the Pens, Bolts, Caps, Knights, Avs, Isles, Stars, and Jets. And we're just emerging from a rebuild.

Was waiting to see that.   Have fans already forgotten how truly dreadful our PP was for years?  Until BB came and bumped it up to ninth (from 26th).   We had how many years where 50ish points per Sedin then 30 ish for a couple guys....at as a franchise we've had lots and lots of practice sucking at the power play over the years in general.   How many years have we had a top five PP the past 49 seasons (lockout year no hockey)?  How many top 10?   Well must be a lot of broken things in the OPs house - me I just scream "shoot the puck!!" ar the TV with current version of the PP.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 2/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, Alflives said:

Babs would at least get the support/role players posing the right way.  Right now our role players are soft as Charmin.  They are just too easy to play against.  No way should Green be allowing this soft play from the support/role players.  

Maybe the veterans on the team don’t respect (or fear) Green enough?  Maybe Green just coaches a soft game?  

It seems to me that softness on the Canucks is a coaching issue.

That said I don't like Babcock   

Can you come up with a better solution as a coach?

Besides I don't see the Gm getting rid of green anyway.  Moot point Alf. 

With respect to the P Pif you have a weak powerplay teams aren't afraid to take liberties. It's twofold. 

• Like 1

That’s all fine. But there are Going to be lots of games coming up where the refs just put away their whistles. We are already seeing it. Look at the Calgary game (And no it’s not just against us) it becomes more of a common theme as we go down the stretch. 5 on 5 play has to improve 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

On 2/9/2020 at 1:59 PM, Got the Babych said:

Good stats, but we know they've scored PP goals. I want to know how our PP has done against good teams. When the PP matters.

Your two powerplay quarterbacks are a rookie and a sophomore - and your other key young gun's right-handed one timer is....one handed this year.

The whole 'the power play has sucked all year' thing is pretty fishbowl, considering it was a league leader until the recent (ableit fairly lengthly) slump.

I think people around here might expect a bit too much at this stage.

People are overthinking the powerplay.  

Leave EP on the right half boards.  Let Hughes do his thing.  Don't expect 100% out of Boeser. 

Otherwise, have some patience.

How many of you thought you'd be having this conversation in mid February?

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The PP should only be an extra weapon available.  A team needs to be good 5 on 5 to be successful.  

Yep.  It can definitely be a big weapon (WSH in the past, St Louis when they had Pronger and Mcinnes, EDM Gretzky era or go way back and the Richard era that changed the rules entirely because the league was trying to equalize their strengths) -  but if you suck 5 x 5 then you won't  go far come playoffs.   Thank god we have JV (our best 5x5 per 60 player), Miller, Horvat and Pearson for that.  EPs pretty good too, same with QHs, Edler and Myers despite his warts.  

On 2/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, Baggins said:

Unrealistic expectations. Our PP % is higher than the Pens, Bolts, Caps, Knights, Avs, Isles, Stars, and Jets. And we're just emerging from a rebuild.

It’s not unrealistic to expect a good team to have a good power play. How’s the PP% against the teams you mentioned? We’ve scored a lot of PP goals against bad teams when it didn’t matter. 10 for 12 against the Preds? Thats not nothing, but you have to look into the stats.

Having said all that, PP is looking more dynamic last few games. I love BB, but having him out has forced some creativity.

Edited by Got the Babych

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Your two powerplay quarterbacks are a rookie and a sophomore - and your other key young gun's right-handed one timer is....one handed this year.

The whole 'the power play has sucked all year' thing is pretty fishbowl, considering it was a league leader until the recent (ableit fairly lengthly) slump.

I think people around here might expect a bit too much at this stage.

People are overthinking the powerplay.  

Leave EP on the right half boards.  Let Hughes do his thing.  Don't expect 100% out of Boeser. 

Otherwise, have some patience.

How many of you thought you'd be having this conversation in mid February?

I feel like I acknowledged our positive PP stats. My point is our power play has sucked against teams that don’t suck. Not true?

But yes, I agree with patience and the year is more exciting than expected. It’s tough when our team looks worse on the PP than on 5v5

16 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

It’s not unrealistic to expect a good team to have a good power play. How’s the PP% against the teams you mentioned? We’ve scored a lot of PP goals against bad teams when it didn’t matter. 10 for 12 against the Canes? Thats not nothing, but you have to look into the stats.

Having said all that, PP is looking more dynamic last few games. I love BB, but having him out has forced some creativity.

Are you saying those teams I mentioned don't play bad teams or that they don't try against bad teams?

You're trying to compare a team just coming out of a rebuild to established contenders. And we've been sitting top 10 (or top 5) on the PP all season. Again - just coming out of a rebuild - get a grip and be realistic, we're not a contender yet.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

How did you manage to come up with that ? What I'm saying is what I said.

You said "How’s the PP% against the teams you mentioned? We’ve scored a lot of PP goals against bad teams when it didn’t matter. 10 for 12 against the Canes?".  So you're saying our PP is only good from playing bad teams, but all those teams I mentioned also get to play bad teams. Yet our PP has had higher success than them. Begging the question: do those teams not try against weaker teams? It's really the only explanation of their PP% being lower than ours if ours is only high because of playing "bad teams".