The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will go exactly as far as the PP takes them.

Rate this topic

Got the Babych

On 2/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Baggins said:

You said "How’s the PP% against the teams you mentioned? We’ve scored a lot of PP goals against bad teams when it didn’t matter. 10 for 12 against the Canes?".  So you're saying our PP is only good from playing bad teams, but all those teams I mentioned also get to play bad teams. Yet our PP has had higher success than them. Begging the question: do those teams not try against weaker teams? It's really the only explanation of their PP% being lower than ours if ours is only high because of playing "bad teams".

I think I've been pretty clear on my point. Our PP ranking is largely due to us scoring PP goals in blowout games against bad teams. Against average or better teams, the PP has been bad. You are disagreeing with this?

Unfortunately, we won't be playing bottom feeders in the playoffs and won't go far without PP goals.

Meant Preds BTW, not the Canes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Got the Babych said:

I think I've been pretty clear on my point. Our PP ranking is largely due to us scoring PP goals in blowout games against bad teams. Against average or better teams, the PP has been bad. You are disagreeing with this?

Unfortunately, we won't be playing bottom feeders in the playoffs and won't go far without PP goals.

And way less PP time in playoffs (and during the final 20 games of the season) too.  PP chances dry up, so scoring on the limited amount we get is key.  

The Canucks will go as far as their goal tending takes them. Power play success or not Jakob has proven to be the difference maker. So many plus 40 shot nights and granted some of those shots are not as dangerous but we have all seen what he can do when he gets hot. Come up with a 110+ minute shutout streak in the playoffs and who knows where this team goes. 

You dont have to have the number one power play in the league to win in the playoffs. You need great goal tending, timely goals and a lot of luck to avoid key injuries that expose your depth. Thats what will determine their playoff success. If we stay relatively healthy they can compete with any team. I just want us to avoid the Jets. We just have some phobia of that team.

Edited by mikeyman109

A broken record here but....

I feel this is too concentrated on one aspect and there are a few things that usually carry a team into/through the playoffs.

#1  Overall health/injury status - teams that suffer injuries late in the season with already fatigued supporting casts who have to cover to fill the holes

#2  Goaltending - can make/break things.  

#3  Hot/cold streaks - they happen.  Timing is everything.

#4  Special teams, yes

#5  Officiating (boo)

#6  Momentum/confidence

Teams that check off boxes on the good/bad side of this can really be impacted either way.

Physicality has to be there as the intensity is amp'd up...I saw that last game.  I was pleased, despite people ragging on the team.  It's always something...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

The Canucks will go as far as their goal tending takes them. Power play success or not Jakob has proven to be the difference maker. So many plus 40 shot nights and granted some of those shots are not as dangerous but we have all seen what he can do when he gets hot. Come up with a 110+ minute shutout streak in the playoffs and who knows where this team goes. 

You dont have to have the number one power play in the league to win in the playoffs. You need great goal tending, timely goals and a lot of luck to avoid key injuries that expose your depth. Thats what will determine their playoff success. If we stay relatively healthy they can compete with any team. I just want us to avoid the Jets. We just have some phobia of that team.

True, continued great goaltending will be paramount. But I don't see our strategy of allowing way more shots than we take as sustainable in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel this is too concentrated on one aspect and there are a few things that usually carry a team into/through the playoffs.

#1  Overall health/injury status - teams that suffer injuries late in the season with already fatigued supporting casts who have to cover to fill the holes

#4  Special teams, yes

#5  Officiating (boo)

#6  Momentum/confidence

Teams that check off boxes on the good/bad side of this can really be impacted either way.

Physicality has to be there as the intensity is amp'd up...I saw that last game.  I was pleased, despite people ragging on the team.  It's always something...

For sure there are many things that need be firing for success. I see the PP as our Achilles heel at the moment, though. Well, that and the shot differential. The reason it's so frustrating for me is we have the horses to have a great PP! The same players that make exciting, dynamic plays on 5 v 5, suddenly look lost and confused when on the man advantage.

9 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

Our PP is just over 20% against the top 5 teams in the west. Plus that number one team, St Louis, is 0/9 on the PP against us.

Again, for the third time - we're just coming out of a rebuild. You can't seem to wrap your head around that part. Nobody expected us to be this good and I don't see us as a contender yet. This isn't the year to get bent over a PP that has been pretty good anyway.

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

#4  Special teams, yes

#5  Officiating (boo)

#6  Momentum/confidence

This is the best post of the thread and is exactly what happens in the playoffs every year. Especially the first two points with health and goaltending!

• Thanks 1

I think the powerplay and goaltending are the two key factors for this team, as they are for most teams, but especially the Canucks who really struggle 5-on-5 and defensively have been giving up far too many opportunities and, of late, are even struggling to grow chemistry amongst the top lines.

Even during our winning streaks we were never really firing on all cylinders the way the Lightning are for example, they're dominant in their wins and we just squeak some through but usually play pretty badly. I think we're bottom 5 in terms of shots against and we just haemorrhage grade A scoring chances on a nightly basis which is disgusting to watch. This team will start with Markstrom and our goaltending in the playoffs, and will end with our powerplay. If we can score more on the PP than we can give up massive chances then we'll do well.

In all honesty, if we're in a similar position to where we are now come Game 82, I think having home ice advantage will be key as well and we'll be up against a fairly weak opponent who we can hopefully take a 4-2 series win over. The 2nd round we'll probably get trounced by the Avalanche though...

well if you really want to know.. we scored 49 powerplay goals this year. 34 have come against teams current sitting outside of a wildcard spot and 15 have come against teams holding down a playoff or wild card spot. 

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

Our PP is just over 20% against the top 5 teams in the west. Plus that number one team, St Louis, is 0/9 on the PP against us.

Again, for the third time - we're just coming out of a rebuild. You can't seem to wrap your head around that part. Nobody expected us to be this good and I don't see us as a contender yet. This isn't the year to get bent over a PP that has been pretty good anyway.

i dunno how you get those numbers.. coz we are 0-8 against dallas so far this season and got blown out both games... we are 1-12 against st.louis.. 2-6 against colorado 2-7 against edmonton and 2-7 againsts vegas? that's no where close to OVER 20%?? and also the fact is.. 3 of those teams are in the bottom half of the league in PK.. St Louis Colorado and Vegas all are sub 80% on the pk

i don't expect us to be good and i definitely don't expect us to be a contender.. but let's not sugar coat the PP being pretty good.. we are 34 for 114 against teams currently not in a playoff spot..that's 29.8% great! but against teams that have something better than an AHL team we are only 15 of 94.. the bottom line is.. this teams powerplay is not that good.. 26 games we failed to score a PP goal... and 20 of the 49 goals we scored on the powerplay all came against Nashville, Detroit, LA kings whos ranked 26, 27, and 31 in the league lol

18 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

True, continued great goaltending will be paramount. But I don't see our strategy of allowing way more shots than we take as sustainable in the playoffs.

With the Defensive game we play its highly likely we will be out shot many more games. The collapse to the net and make the shooters take their shots from the outside strategy  has worked so far. Markstrom has been great but a lot of the 40+ shots he faces each night are from a place you would expect to see an NHL goalie make the save.

The concern for me is the lack of puck retrieval in our own end which often has led to more sustained pressure on our D. Its frustrating to see the puck be left in the corner for the opposition to pick up when our D stand in front of the net holding hands.

Having said that you cannot argue with the success they are having playing this game. As long as Markstrom continues to play lights out in goal they will win. The team has shown it can score on the power play. Yes a lot of power play goals have been on the weaker teams in the league. I would expect that stat to be pretty consistent with most teams. That's usually due to those teams having weaker goal tending tandems and or weaker defensive players. You beat up on the teams that allow it.

When they don't score on the power play they have been more likely to take the loss but that can be said of any team i believe. If you are expecting a parade in June you may be disappointed but if you can relax and enjoy the team growing its been a lot better this season than the last 4. The 5 on 5 game has not been helped by the fact that Ferland and Motte have been hurt. We do need some size and attitude to be able to play a stronger 5 on 5 game and not be pushed around. I think MacEwan and Bailey can bring some of that element to the team. It would be nice to add someone else that can play more in the face of the other teams and yet not be an extreme  liability on both sides of the game as well. If Ferland is done for the year, which i believe he should be based on another concussion set back, adding a veteran with some snarl isnt a bad idea. It wouldn't hurt if they can score also.