The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually they have been that way for a while and the Americans love it. Canada is so resource rich and yet the americans have cost Alberta and the rest of Canada so much. 

For example:

If I am not mistaken, Chrissy Brett was also the leader of the Victoria tent cities, despite not actually being homeless.  It's like she's some sort of professional protester or something.

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I’m curious how the numbers look in each country with respect to aboriginal populations.  Disgraceful numbers in any event.  I’ve refrained from saying too much on this thread mainly because I’m woefully ignorant on the subject.

Well first of all so many are uneducated on this matter and rightfully so as it's very complex. This "we give them enough money" is utter nonsense and shows how little some are educated on the matter.

"The numbers " is irrelevant as Canada should insure all it's citizens are free and given the same opportunity. I know you don't mean anything rude by it and you're just curious. 

Make no mistake the treatment of indigenous people is disgraceful and inhumane, a country as rich as Canada can supply all, ALL it's citizens with safe drinking water. Also make no mistake the treatment and racism shown to First Nations people took place because of our governments feeling they were inferior. One of the few good things Harper ever did was his apology to First Nations for residential schools and he pointed out how they were viewed as less equal.

21 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

For example:

If I am not mistaken, Chrissy Brett was also the leader of the Victoria tent cities, despite not actually being homeless.  It's like she's some sort of professional protester or something.

paid by the government of canada

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Are you in Canada finding it odd the your media is basically ignoring the majority of Wet'suwet'un members who have agreed to the pipeline and stated they don't know who most of the protesters are?   

nah that canadian media for u. supporting unemployed people who do not want to work that want live on welfare. CBC is probably paying them a good amount 

42 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

For example:

so this is wrong, you can't be barred from entering your workplace. The RCMP needs to clear the path for Popham there. 

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

"The numbers " is irrelevant as Canada should insure all it's citizens are free and given the same opportunity. I know you don't mean anything rude by it and you're just curious. 

Yeah among the more insidious practices was the compulsory sterilization during some periods/areas....no word other than evil to describe that policy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Are you in Canada finding it odd the your media is basically ignoring the majority of Wet'suwet'un members who have agreed to the pipeline and stated they don't know who most of the protesters are?   

Both sides are being covered, just the protests are flasher media fodder so people want to see them covered. Seems to me more people want the pipeline to go through though, if you're paying attention. That said, I don't see much talk of who the protesters are other than here on CDC.

I don't understand the rights of First Nations enough, I would like to know more as I don't like feeling ignorant. 

I guess at the end of the day, First Nations are a part of Canada, not a part from Canada. They don't really have their own territory or nations when it comes to the wishes of the rest of the country. If that's the case, then that is too bad and I understand the gripe that some of the bands are having. If they were told, here you can have this part of your land back....but with conditions , then it is not really their land. I thought they could self govern but I read that land and criminal law involves the federal gov.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Both sides are being covered, just the protests are flasher media fodder so people want to see them covered. Seems to me more people want the pipeline to go through though, if you're paying attention. That said, I don't see much talk of who the protesters are other than here on CDC.

I don't understand the rights of First Nations enough, I would like to know more as I don't like feeling ignorant. 

I guess at the end of the day, First Nations are a part of Canada, not a part from Canada. They don't really have their own territory or nations when it comes to the wishes of the rest of the country. If that's the case, then that is too bad and I understand the gripe that some of the bands are having. If they were told, here you can have this part of your land back....but with conditions , then it is not really their land. I thought they could self govern but I read that land and criminal law involves the federal gov.

so think of it like this: any land holder in Canada can have the government move in and do things if its deemed in the public interest. Lots of people have had their homes sold out from under them for national projects (or municipal for that matter). Its the same thing with so-called "crown" or unceded land, as long as there was a legitimate consultation, the impact is minimal (on the whole) and there is fair compensation the feds can do what they want. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so think of it like this: any land holder in Canada can have the government move in and do things if its deemed in the public interest. Lots of people have had their homes sold out from under them for national projects (or municipal for that matter). Its the same thing with so-called "crown" or unceded land, as long as there was a legitimate consultation, the impact is minimal (on the whole) and there is fair compensation the feds can do what they want. 

My best pal took his realtor ticket ( just for fun, he's one of those types). I remember him pointing out, you don't really own the home you have bought..

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

great. thats one thing. Whats next? 

natural resource development is an incredible opportunity for first nations people. You seem to want to kill it for what I see as a very selfish motivation on your part, some kind of misguided feel good moment. 

Thats weird... I was thinking you were the selfish one that wants to capitalize financially in the short term by damaging our planet  longterm. with irrepairable severe climate change............

Wow, i guess we see things differently.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Wow you are 200 % wrong...

Unceded means that First Nations people never ceded or legally signed away their lands to the Crown or to Canada

To be more precise: the Maritimes, nearly all of British Columbia and a large swath of eastern Ontario and Quebec, which includes Ottawa, sit on territories that were never signed away by the Indigenous people who inhabited them before Europeans settled in North America. In other words, this land was stolen

Under Wet'suwet'en law, authority over the nation's 22,000 square kilometres of unceded territory lies with hereditary chiefs from five clans, who oppose the pipeline. ... A 1997 Supreme Court of Canada decision affirmed that the provincial government can't extinguish Wet'suwet'en rights to their land.Jan 24, 2020

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/01/24/analysis/what-we-mean-when-we-say-indigenous-land-unceded

ldc_ccl_fagr_guide-fed_im02_130582799166

Edited by kingofsurrey

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow you are 200 % wrong...

Unceded means that First Nations people never ceded or legally signed away their lands to the Crown or to Canada

To be more precise: the Maritimes, nearly all of British Columbia and a large swath of eastern Ontario and Quebec, which includes Ottawa, sit on territories that were never signed away by the Indigenous people who inhabited them before Europeans settled in North America. In other words, this land was stolen

Under Wet'suwet'en law, authority over the nation's 22,000 square kilometres of unceded territory lies with hereditary chiefs from five clans, who oppose the pipeline. ... A 1997 Supreme Court of Canada decision affirmed that the provincial government can't extinguish Wet'suwet'en rights to their land.Jan 24, 2020

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/01/24/analysis/what-we-mean-when-we-say-indigenous-land-unceded

ldc_ccl_fagr_guide-fed_im02_130582799166

spare me the oversimplified op ed's please. 

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats weird... I was thinking you were the selfish one that wants to capitalize financially in the short term by damaging our planet  longterm. with irrepairable severe climate change............

Wow, i guess we see things differently.

I won't be benefitting. I want the 20 bands to benefit. 

You on the other hand seem to want a warm fuzzy feeling cuz saying no feels good. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I won't be benefitting. I want the 20 bands to benefit. 

yah right... a lawyer that claims he isn't personally benefitting... 

I am visualizing  you sitting at a desk with your feet crossed as you typed it.....

MV5BZWEyOTRmN2QtNDlmZS00YThiLWEzNGEtNzIx

Edited by kingofsurrey