The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It appears as though the Wet'suwet'en met recently and asked coastal link to move their line less than 7 total kilometers to avoid going through what they consider culturally and environmentally sensitive areas to them.

Coastal refused.

That is when the RCMP were called in.

Whether this is true or not depending on the official timeline it makes coastal Link and the government look mighty bad as there's numerous amendments in every title holder contract regarding the right to ask a project to move, or to withhold right of access via contract cancellation.

Guess we'll find out.

interesting - seems out of step with things so far... seems like an easy concession to make. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting - seems out of step with things so far... seems like an easy concession to make. 

It's actually aligned with a major part of why northern gateway got so much pushback.

Bands and title holders on board but then asked for some movement in the route and they said no to save a few dollars.

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think it’s the citizens responsibility to interfere with another’s right to speak.  That’s the police force’s job.  It’s anarchy when citizens play the role of the police.  Unless, of course, a person’s safety is in jeopardy.  Then we should step in.  But if someone is saying stuff we don’t like, that’s their right.  If it crosses the line of freedom of expression it’s our responsibility to report that to the authorities, and nothing more.  

I hear ya. I really do. 

But I make an exception for Nazi's. I think thats justified given the history. 

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's actually aligned with a major part of why northern gateway got so much pushback.

Bands and title holders on board but then asked for some movement in the route and they said no to save a few dollars.

it would seem like a massive wasted opportunity to have that as your company hill to die on. 

48 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Funny my friends are too and they don't.

Yah, some first nations people have been bought off on these issues... Looks the band chiefs that make close to one Million per year.....

Other first nations individuals value fishing and the environmental sustainablity of their territories...

Different strokes for different folks.  Greed is a very powerful motivator though. I guess you could say we are starting to see our first nations fully integrated when they are willing to sell out their own land/environment for cash... just like we do / did. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would seem like a massive wasted opportunity to have that as your company hill to die on. 

Initially, Northern Gateway had large ad broad support from first nations bands.  Until the REAL maps came out.  They asked for a few kms difference here and there.  About 40 kms in total, I think the value of the project increase was around $7 million.  They said no.  Bands pulled their support and accused them of pulling a fast one 

Here we see something similar.  if they;re being honest than we're talking less than $2 million total dollars for the amount of movement they are asking for.  Dollars cannot be more important than good relations.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Please cite main stream, credible media that stated Shoot to kill

Do you consider CBC mainstream enough for you..

LOL

There are a number of very deeply concerning words, phrases and terms used to a situation that is immensely delicate," Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller said Friday. "This is something that we need to revise as a government and take a look at that, because the terminology is entirely unacceptable."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-snipers-first-nation-pipeline-protest-guardian-1.5405111

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you consider CBC mainstream enough for you..

LOL

There are a number of very deeply concerning words, phrases and terms used to a situation that is immensely delicate," Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller said Friday. "This is something that we need to revise as a government and take a look at that, because the terminology is entirely unacceptable."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-snipers-first-nation-pipeline-protest-guardian-1.5405111

Wasn't it you that was arguing that the RCMP was better than a provincial police force?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Wasn't it you that was arguing that the RCMP was better than a provincial police force?

Nope. I don't really have a preference either way.....

I think both provincial and city police have similar issues... basically very few if any young people want this job nowdays ..

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh I'm messing with you, I know the story. Did hip say it wasn't true? If so wow it was pretty big news. But he generally only follows Facebook I think. 

Hip just wants to argue semantics..

Next thing is he will say ....   Lethal Overwatch.. whatever force it takes.. Snipers deployed....   is not the same as shoot to kill....

I am pretty much done with discussing with him today to be honest.. It is exhausting and i am tired from working all day. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hear ya. I really do. 

But I make an exception for Nazi's. I think thats justified given the history. 

We can’t make exceptions though.  As disgusting as Nazi ideas are, it’s not our responsibility to censor their views.  All adults in Canada are entitled to listen to the Nazi crap without another citizen keeping the rest from hearing.  If we choose to censor opinions and ideas (that don’t cross the line of freedom of expression laws) then we are telling other Canadians we don’t trust their ability to make good choices.  I guess we should then take those other citizens, who we don’t trust, right to vote away.  We may not like it, but that’s democracy, and how our charter works.  People get to listen to what they choose, and we trust them to make good choices.  Censorship is a slippery slope.  

• Cheers 1