The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Olympics - NHL players a possibility?

Rate this topic

aGENT

I'm a little torn on it. On the one hand, I love beating the US. On the other, I don't like cheering against our Canucks players. I don't know that I want to cheer against Petey, Boes and Hughes :( If it came down to Canada vs the US or Sweden it would be hard for me anyway. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a little torn on it. On the one hand, I love beating the US. On the other, I don't like cheering against our Canucks players. I don't know that I want to cheer against Petey, Boes and Hughes :( If it came down to Canada vs the US or Sweden it would be hard for me anyway. 

I'd cheer for team Canada without a second's hesitation... the nation's success is bigger than our club's players.

That said, after watching the video below, I can't blame the NHL one bit if they don't allow players to go to the Olympics UNLESS the circumstances have changed:

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd cheer for team Canada without a second's hesitation... the nation's success is bigger than our club's players.

That said, after watching the video below, I can't blame the NHL one bit if they don't allow players to go to the Olympics UNLESS the circumstances have changed:

its not that simple for me. When it comes to pro hockey I'm Vancouver 1st and then FTW :lol:

I think I prefer the non-pro's to represent us at the Olympics. It gives other guys a chance to shine, and it also gives women's hockey a bigger spotlight and they work their asses off and deserve it. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Lancaster said:

From what I can gather for why they weren't at the South Korean Olympics... one was it was too far.  

Since China is even farther.... not sure how they can justify it how distance is no longer an issue.  

one flight out of Vancouver or LA. Not really a big deal. The time change will be harder on them. 

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

From what I can gather for why they weren't at the South Korean Olympics... one was it was too far.  

Since China is even farther.... not sure how they can justify it how distance is no longer an issue.  

Not big enough of a market.  Completely different scale for China.   Teams like Boston, Toronto have been marketing themselves there for a while - the Leafs have more viewers in China than in Canada.  

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one flight out of Vancouver or LA. Not really a big deal. The time change will be harder on them. 

More just a complaint on the flimsy excuses used by the NHL.

Nagano, okay.  Sochi, okay.  PyeongChang, too far?

It just makes the NHL looks bushleague.

Just now, mll said:

Not big enough of a market.  Completely different scale for China.   Teams like Boston, Toronto have been marketing themselves there for a while - the Leafs have more viewers in China than in Canada.  

The Olympics isn't just a local event.  People in China and Japan will still be watching.  It anything, it would have garnered more exciting and appeal going forward for China.

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

More just a complaint on the flimsy excuses used by the NHL.

Nagano, okay.  Sochi, okay.  PyeongChang, too far?

It just makes the NHL looks bushleague.

The Olympics isn't just a local event.  People in China and Japan will still be watching.  It anything, it would have garnered more exciting and appeal going forward for China.

Not sure what you're insinuating the issue is here but I think you're quite mistaken that they were 'ok' with those other Olympics. Just because they decided to finally put their foot down for PyeongChang doesn't mean they were thrilled with the situation prior to that.

And paying/losing tens of millions of dollars for the 'privilege' to shut down in the middle/stretch run/prime time of your season is hardly 'flimsy excuses'. That's an asinine business model being demanded of them and If I was the league/an owner I'd tell the IOC where they could go too.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course they want to use the Olympics as leverage in CBA talks, though I see it more along the lines of them wanting to use the Olympics as a piece of the hammer they'd use to bang out their CBA goals. I don't believe the NHL's interested giving the NHLPA a fair deal, they'll take as much of the pie as they possibly can. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not sure what you're insinuating the issue is here but I think you're quite mistaken that they were 'ok' with those other Olympics. Just because they decided to finally put their foot down for PyeongChang doesn't mean they were thrilled with the situation prior to that.

And paying/losing tens of millions of dollars for the 'privilege' to shut down in the middle/stretch run/prime time of your season is hardly 'flimsy excuses'. That's an asinine business model being demanded of them and If I was the league/an owner I'd tell the IOC where they could go too.

Not only that, but the NHL is not allowed broadcast any games/videos/highlights/marketing whatsoever from games so there is literally 0 upside for the league to do it. In fact, it's beyond that, they would be taking huge losses to shut down their league and pay for the players to fly overseas with their families where all the best of the best could risk injuries and affecting their club's success.

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

Not only that, but the NHL is not allowed broadcast any games/videos/highlights/marketing whatsoever from games so there is literally 0 upside for the league to do it. In fact, it's beyond that, they would be taking huge losses to shut down their league and pay for the players to fly overseas with their families where all the best of the best could risk injuries and affecting their club's success.

Jerks...lol

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Yes thankfully it is.  NHL and the NHLPA agreed to re-join the Oympics in 2022 and 2026... given the disappointment missing out in 2018, it’s a great win for hockey players and fans right now - especially the timing.   At least that’s something to look forward to, by then Covid should be in the back mirror. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not surprise the NHL agrees to the 2022 Olympics. China is an untapped big market, if you can even get 1 out of every 50 people in China to become hockey fan, that is roughly 26 million people. Heck even 1 in 100 gets you about 13 million new fans. 

Granted, most fans in China would be banwagoners. They will be cheering for the teams that are good and will move on to a new team once that team starts to decline. I can say that because I am Chinese and have lived in China and saw how all my friends who are NBA fans are literally just cheering for any team with Lebron James. Earlier on it was Kobe (RIP) and Shaq's Lakers. I tried to briefly introduce them to the NHL. The last few years, when they found out I cheer for a Canucks team that regular finishes near the bottom of the standings, they ask "Why won't you just cheer for somebody else like that team that won back-to-back cups." I just told them to "because I am not a banwagoner and I stick with my team through thick and thin."