The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zero Latency - VR Experience Coming to Vancouver Feb 15th 2020

Tre Mac

https://zerolatencyvr.com/

I heard about this on the radio the other day.  I was interested until I saw the price - $59.95/30min game time per person - up to 8 at once.  It opens locally in a week but interested if anyone has tried this before?  I'd be willing to try this once but man that's pricey.  

image.thumb.png.9da643bcf77de42d54a033f0fe73834f.png

• Like 1

So, a couple of years ago, at CES in Vegas, I got a chance to try out 5G VR with Intel. Was really impressive.

I put on the headset, and I'm standing in the middle of the basketball court, the players are playing around me and through me. Look down, there's the court. Look up, there's the score clock. Full 360 degree rotation, follow the play right from the middle of the court. They also were demonstrating it with Nascar, where you're essentially sitting on the roof of the car as it flies around the track at over 200 mph, and you're turning and looking at the cars that you're passing or are trying to pass you. Was really incredible.

5G makes this possible. Imagine having PPV hockey where you put on a headset and you're suddenly 7 or 8 feet above the ice, watching the play with a 2 second delay (about what you experience right now with Shaw). Being able to turn and follow as they pass back and forth at the blueline and fully follow the play.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I have still never tried VR.

I'm on fire recruit training with a younger guy who plays on some sort of team in a tactical/military style game that is 5 vs 5. They show up at the local VR place here to practice and play their matches. It sounds like a blast and I really think I need to take a crack at it.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, a couple of years ago, at CES in Vegas, I got a chance to try out 5G VR with Intel. Was really impressive.

I put on the headset, and I'm standing in the middle of the basketball court, the players are playing around me and through me. Look down, there's the court. Look up, there's the score clock. Full 360 degree rotation, follow the play right from the middle of the court. They also were demonstrating it with Nascar, where you're essentially sitting on the roof of the car as it flies around the track at over 200 mph, and you're turning and looking at the cars that you're passing or are trying to pass you. Was really incredible.

5G makes this possible. Imagine having PPV hockey where you put on a headset and you're suddenly 7 or 8 feet above the ice, watching the play with a 2 second delay (about what you experience right now with Shaw). Being able to turn and follow as they pass back and forth at the blueline and fully follow the play.

I'd love to try a sports game - seems it's all shooters for now.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I'd love to try a sports game - seems it's all shooters for now.  

Fully immersive sports is coming, its about 2 years away. Need to get the install base on 5G up to where it should be, but 5G enables all kinds of possibilities such as fully autonomous cars. If you haven't experienced the speed yet, its in line with a high speed fiber optics connection.

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I play a QB 2 minute drill game on VR that is really fun, boxing is pretty good as well.   

Imagine being inside the Octagon for the next championship match. The stuff that's coming puts you so close, you can see the teeth fly, in high def.