The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Jason Zucker to Penguins for Alex Galchenyuk, Calen Addison, conditional 2020 1st-round pick

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

This is basically akin to Benning trading Pearson, Rathbone and a first this summer for Miller.

Pearson: 27 years old, had a couple good season in L.A. then dropped off, struck out again in Pittsburgh.  Had $3.75m x 2 years left on his contract.

Galchenyuk: 25 years old, had two 50+ point seasons but never fit in Pittsburgh, has a few months left on a $4.9m contract.

Rathbone: Left shot 20 year old puck moving defenseman who can quarterback a powerplay.  Was 40th in PPG for a defenseman in the NCAA (though he's 7th this season).

Addison: Right shot 19 year old puck moving defenseman who can quarterback a powerplay.  Currently 3rd in PPG for a defenseman in the WHL. 

First round pick: 2020 pick, unless Vancouver/ Pittsburgh miss the playoffs, which is then deferred to 2021. 

As a project, Galchenyuk is younger and had better career highs than Pearson (before this season).  Addison is probably a better prospect right now than Rathbone was in the summer, as he hadn't broken out for his sophomore campaign then.  However, Pittsburgh's pick is likely to be lower so it balances out.

Imagine the outrage had that hypothetical trade went down this summer.

But but Miller was a cap dump...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Quantum said:

That 2012 draft is a rough one.

#1 Nail Yakupov -- Outta the league

#2 Ryan Murray --  A bottom pairing defenseman

#3 Alex Galchenyuk -- Fourth team in 3 years

#4 Griffin Reinhart -- Exposed in expansion draft, claimed, never played for expansion team, now in the KHL

#5 Morgan Reilly -- The best of the top 5. Who would've thought?!?

Old Canucks anchor Derrick Pouliot was drafted #8.

It feels like Galchenyuk was thrown in to match salaries LOL.

I thought Ryan Murray was going to be a player, thought he should have been picked first by the Oilers at the time.  

But yea Galchenyuk was just a salary dump.  Going to be really interesting what he gets paid this summer.

• Like 1

Pittsburgh has been trading prospects and picks to keep their win now train going for a while now.

I am very interested to see how they handle the team when Malkin/Crosby get to an age where they dont look like elite players that can carry the team through multiple rounds.

With all of the assets PIttsburgh has spent to bolster their core, and keep the cup train running, it could be disastrous for them for the decade following Crosby/Malkin's decline.

WIll they unload those guys for a haul while they still have value?  Will they just tank and accumulate high picks (they did tank and get guys like Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) etc

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

WHOA!  Sorry maybe it's just me but I do not, did not and can not think Zucker has that level of value...

Only one season over 50 points, with his ice time.  $5.5 million until 2023 I mean, I just cannot see him being worth Galchenyuk a 1st AND an add on.

Good thing Pittsburgh won their cups with Crosby and Malkin already

Edit*  Calen Addison was the addition?  Oh man Minni just ROBBED the Pens

Well JB set the price with the Miller trade.  Add in the TDL inflation rate and a club that is going all in with Crosby and Malkin yet again.  

Minny Zuckered the Pens, but the Pens can't loose if their Stars get hot.  Malkin and Crosby... annual cup contenders.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

#4 Griffin Reinhart -- Exposed in expansion draft, claimed, never played for expansion team, now in the KHL

And I recall Burkie saying that they got the best player in that draft.  They would have drafted him # 1 overall.  I remember thinking what a clown.  Good thing I kept my day job ;)

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

Huh?

29 pts in 56 games last season, +20 = excellent production

Also their best penalty killer.

21:26 of ice time

Over 20 minutes average for his career.

Aint no 'bottom pairing defenseman'.

He's easily a top 4 - he's simply always injured, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Huh?

Fair enough. I guess I should've written "oft injured"

Also, twenty points a year is not what you want from a defenseman you picked #2 overall. If he was picked in the 2nd round, I feel like he'd be seen as a pretty solid defenseman. It's just unfortunate that he got picked over Morgan Reilly.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Huh?

While I agree that Murray has turned into an OK top 4 d-man, I'll still never forget him in the semi-finals of the World Juniors in 2011 against Russia. It was one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen on the international stage and still remember being at a loss as to why the coach kept sending him out on the ice. He was on the ice for 5 of Russia's 6 goals and either 4 or 5 of those were almost directly due to screw ups on Murray's part.

Respect to the pens . They know they got to treat each years with sid and malkin as must wins, and with those two talents on your team they can always do damage. Letang is also still playing at a high level. 

Zucker will thrive in Pittsburgh most likely will slot next to sid.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Darius said:

Pittsburgh has been trading prospects and picks to keep their win now train going for a while now.

I am very interested to see how they handle the team when Malkin/Crosby get to an age where they dont look like elite players that can carry the team through multiple rounds.

With all of the assets PIttsburgh has spent to bolster their core, and keep the cup train running, it could be disastrous for them for the decade following Crosby/Malkin's decline.

WIll they unload those guys for a haul while they still have value?  Will they just tank and accumulate high picks (they did tank and get guys like Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) etc

3-5years and they will be fine. They have a great front office. Also 17m in cap space add in Letang and that's like 24ish million in cap. They could totally go get a big free agent if they wanted when the time came. 

Even Detroit will be good in 3 or 4 years. Their draft history speaks for itself 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Jim Rutherford wanted to upgrade Galchenyuk into a better player, this mindset is fine, but this is a horrible trade, and he's lost his mind.  He lost the Gudbranson trade, got nothing for him in another trade and gave up a ton of crap for Zucker who is struggling like hell.  He has lost his mind.  Man is too old for the job now.

Jim Rutherford has been handing out firsts like candy on Halloween. If he was Canucks GM, it would be a bloodbath on CDC. :frantic:

The Pens need to max out on Crosby and Geno and GMJR is a lost soul who a not getting it done.

Also, what’s with Galchenyuk? He’s getting passed around the league like a hot potato. Are coaches everywhere stifling his creativity? Or there more to it? Could soon be headed for the KHL.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, Phil_314 said:

I think Pittsburgh's done pretty well for themselves here.

- Galchenyuk wasn't getting it done here (he was playing single digit minutes)

- Addison COULD become something but he's still a prospect and we don't know what he'll become

- as mentioned, the first wouldn't be as valuable in a contending window which Pittsburgh's in

- Zucker's got some defensive ability and is on pace for close to 50 points

IF Pittsburgh takes off with Jason on Sid or Geno's flank they could do really well for themselves, getting a top-6 forward for a cap dump, a late 1st and a prospect.

If the dump was worth a 1st (can't imagine AG has any value), then it'd be 3 years of Zucker for a prospect.

Totally agree. I’m really surprise so many people are thinking Minny won this trade. Zucker can score and has a two-way game and still has term left on his contract. Really good cap hit as well. Dumping Chuckie salary and getting a player back like that’s pretty good haul