Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks outshot again, win again

Rate this topic


Tree n Me
 Share

Recommended Posts

Canuck fan have to be happy with the 6-2 victory over Nashville that ended a four game winless skid.  Once again, however, they were outshot in a game that they went on to win.  To be honest, I didn't see the game and am only getting my information from online media.  But among Marky's 36 saves, 19 were in the second period, and four of them were described as "spectacular".  How easily a 4-2 lead could have turned into a 4-4 tie after two periods, with Nashville holding the momentum going into the third period.  My point is simply this: Jacob Markstrom has been a key component to the Canucks' successful season to date and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.  While I agree that Thatcher Demko is the long term answer to the Canucks' goaltending picture, Canucks' management needs to find a way to keep both goalies in Vancouver until DiPietro is ready to step in as Demko's back-up

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Markstrom likes his shots! Don't know why, but we seem to win when he gets a heavy shot total.

 

I think we resign Markstrom for 3 years, about 5.75 - 6 million per, keep grooming Demko. I think Demko will eventually take over and provide the same level of performance as Markstrom, but the fact that he's had 2 concussions this season, scares me a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Markstrom likes his shots! Don't know why, but we seem to win when he gets a heavy shot total.

 

I think we resign Markstrom for 3 years, about 5.75 - 6 million per, keep grooming Demko. I think Demko will eventually take over and provide the same level of performance as Markstrom, but the fact that he's had 2 concussions this season, scares me a little.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We were outshot by 6. 

 

We had 2 less power plays aaaaand played with the lead the entire game. Teams playing from behind get in desperation mode and tend to throw alot of pucks at the net this is nothing new. 

This is exactly how things have gone this year. Some people gotta realize just because a team had a lot of shots on us, doesn’t mean they were all quality. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our defensive system allows lots of low-percentage shot attempts, so although we're getting out shot almost every game, they are not always the best chances. It took our guys a while to get used to the system, but I think they are now, and it's working. 

 

Granted, last night there were some quality saves in the 2nd period, but there are quality saves at both ends of the rink. Marky is playing great, but it's also a mixture of the team playing a system very well. 

 

Sure, Benning needs to find a solution to the goalie situation moving forward, but this is not new information.

 

Lastly, he will find a solution. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Tree n Me said:Canuck fan have to be happy with the 6-2 victory over Nashville that ended a four game winless skid.  Once again, however, they were outshot in a game that they went on to win.  To be honest, I didn't see the game and am only getting my information from online media.  But among Marky's 36 saves, 19 were in the second period, and four of them were described as "spectacular".  How easily a 4-2 lead could have turned into a 4-4 tie after two periods, with Nashville holding the momentum going into the third period.  My point is simply this: Jacob Markstrom has been a key component to the Canucks' successful season to date and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.  While I agree that Thatcher Demko is the long term answer to the Canucks' goaltending picture, Canucks' management needs to find a way to keep both goalies in Vancouver until DiPietro is ready to step in as Demko's back-up

I hate to make this comparison, but both the Canucks and Markstrom are playing like the Leafs were the past three years ... that is relying heavily on Andersson (who's up for the task most nights) get peppered with both low and high percentage shots night in night out.   It's definitely worrisome.   So far the Canucks are close to the leaderboard leader in most shots against league-wide. Ugh.

 

It changes a little when you dig deeper and look at all shot attempts (blocked shots do matter in this case and it does make a difference - when playing a team that drops down in front of everything the shot count looks a lot different then what really went on - as in offensive zone time and which way the ice was tilted).  Yes it's worrisome, even more so given its becoming well known that our defense can be exposed - actual NHL players are talking about it ... ugh. 

 

What does this mean for us?   Well Markstrom has revolutionized his game the past 1 plus year ... and hats off to him and he is either our MVP or one of four guys that deserves that honour - the other guys of course being Miller (who would definitely be our Captain if we drafted him, EP - no sophomore jinx with him - he's great - and Hughes the 7th overall pick ... well remember how many posts were made about how we could and should trade up to first overall Dahlin/the next Lidstrom blah blah blah!? )....

 

I love Markstrom.  He's starting to cement himself as one of the better goalies we've had.   Reminds me a bet of back-up Bob, well liked and has the right stuff.   Doesn't remind me of Luongo or McLean.   Yet at least.  Maybe Lack too.  The sample of good-stellar play isn't big enough to convince me yet.   Is he Cloutier 2.0?  Sure hope not.  He was a true number one -but not top ten material...

 

Im a realist - and am concerned about the domino effect re-signing him will create both for Demkos's sake and for our cap.   Can live with it - it's not like Luongo - Schneider  ... was always and still am in Luongo's corner there... but there is some similarity too.   Who's the better guy for the majority of this cores window?

 

Is JM the goalie to take us to the promised land?  Well right now he's doing enough to be considered a top ten goalie which is what you need come playoffs.   We won't know what we have in Demko for at least another year.   So expect JB to go with the known commodity - and don't be pissed if Demko is traded (which I would view as good asset management) or if he's given to him the alter come ED time as our sacrifice to Seattle ( and I will hate them for it - the Krakens - or Salmon douches - or the - Gulls or whatever they will be called). 

 

One thing i will say - is when this team is ON they can run with anyone in the league right now.  And if we can be on for a month come playoff time watch out.   Also for those superstitious people laying waste to the guy pre-maturely ejaculated all over the CDC with his "we've made the playoffs already"...it's on Markstrom and Demko mostly - what happens over next "several " months .... will absolutely affect  the size of Markstroms bank account and Demkos future with us.  How do we keep both? A fairly significant sacrifice somewhere else in the lineup.  

  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the system that causes these shot differentials.


The team quite literally invites the opposition to shoot, so that they can block, or the goalie save it.


They push the puck to the outside, and though the shots pile up, they are mostly low quality muffins.

 

Do you remember the Willie D days? We'd outshoot teams 44-20 and still lose?


This is why, for its not exactly a secret defensive zone system.

 

I find it blue collar at best, and it's more of an exercise in statisticians on ice, than it is (entertaining) hockey.

 

It's not specifically tailored to play any one team, rather, its designed to carry the team into the playoffs.

 

I do however, feel that unless the coach has a trick up his sleeve, that this team will get absolutely walked by any team that is able to play keep away.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Shot location from last night's 2nd period: 

 

 

 

A lot of slot shots. But people here seem to be saying they were all "muffins" that weren't hard to stop. Almost like they weren't even watching the game or are lying to play it off like the fact we give up nearly 40 shots a game (a lot of which are quality) isn't something to be worried about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Without Markstrom's excellence this year, the Canucks would be a bottom feeder and out of the playoffs. I think they rely on him too much, the D is sloppy and filled with holes.

Without the team ahead of him scoring 5 or more goals in 19 games (one third of the total games played) we'd be a lot worse off too

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've noticed Pettersson getting really frustrated lately, even resorting to whacking a player with his stick after a scuffle or a hit. It's like he's close to saying "F it" and dropping his gloves out of anger. lol God, I hope he never does that, because it could be difficult to watch. I do love his passion though, he's not like the Sedins, in that he's not going to sit there and take it without flinching. Nope, Petey will whack you back if you give him a cheap shot. The brain and skill of a Sedin, the guts and grit of a Forsberg. What a beauty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if this is really a thing.  I get that we were outshot, but we got off to a huge lead so the other team was throwing everything they could at Marky to get back into it.  The Preds are having an off year, are a very good team.  

 

Quality vs Quantity?  Some wacky goals and some chippy play.  When Siscions (sp?) ran Marky, the game could have gotten out of control.  

 

I don't think the guys were wanting to run up the score.  

 

The team is a counterattack run and gun team at heart.  Quick transitions after a turnover and back the other way.  

 

That style lends itself to giving up shots.  Also our goalies have been fantastic, allowing the team to take more chances, which also means giving up more shots.  

 

Anyway you slice it, we give up shots, but it doesn't seem to be a problem atm.  It could become one, but then Green will make adjustments.  Until, then, keep calm and carry on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Our defensive system allows lots of low-percentage shot attempts, so although we're getting out shot almost every game, they are not always the best chances. It took our guys a while to get used to the system, but I think they are now, and it's working. 

 

Granted, last night there were some quality saves in the 2nd period, but there are quality saves at both ends of the rink. Marky is playing great, but it's also a mixture of the team playing a system very well. 

 

Sure, Benning needs to find a solution to the goalie situation moving forward, but this is not new information.

 

Lastly, he will find a solution. 

 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

It's the system that causes these shot differentials.


The team quite literally invites the opposition to shoot, so that they can block, or the goalie save it.


They push the puck to the outside, and though the shots pile up, they are mostly low quality muffins.

 

Do you remember the Willie D days? We'd outshoot teams 44-20 and still lose?


This is why, for its not exactly a secret defensive zone system.

 

I find it blue collar at best, and it's more of an exercise in statisticians on ice, than it is (entertaining) hockey.

 

It's not specifically tailored to play any one team, rather, its designed to carry the team into the playoffs.

 

I do however, feel that unless the coach has a trick up his sleeve, that this team will get absolutely walked by any team that is able to play keep away.

Not true, the Canucks give up a lot of high quality chances, moreso than most teams. 

Luckily, we have Markstrom.

 

VAN

Heat map of shots relative to other teams. We give up more on average from the slot and in front of the net than other teams. 

 

 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...