The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roussell Fined

Rate this topic

Squamfan

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in the immediate term, Benn or Rafferty with Breezy on the left side. But thats like a 1 or 2 game solution.

It would be nice to see some of the younger players get a shot. That being said, Cull must get nervous when his roster gets plucked at this time of year. 

After that you'd need to go looking for someone like Dillon, which would be very possible with all that newfound cap space. 

For sure. He'd be an ideal defenseman to trade for in preparation for the playoffs.

It seems David Poile has some clout in the league,too bad Mr. Benning doesn't get that type of treatment.

Once again the DOPS is not doing it's job properly,some teams get away with everything (Boston) and some have to take matters into their own hands so as not to be run out of their own rink .

Nashville was pretty chippy after they went down a few goals but the league fines us,what a joke.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

thanks - there it is.

I thought he had one - but not sure why they don't have that in the clauses column of his own page...

8 team no-trade = can't imagine Columbus would be one, but you never know.

Regardless, I'm looking at those other 23 teams....

Brady Tkachuck and Roussel on the same team would certainly be agitating :lol:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

After that you'd need to go looking for someone like Dillon, which would be very possible with all that newfound cap space. 

Dillon would be a nice addition - but I don't know if I'd like the price, and I love Stecher (who some are proposing to move) - fast, aggressive, smart - excellent numbers all around - and an RFA....

I'm not sure the team can afford a Dillon - I don't like the idea of rentals that run into multiple picks, including 2nd/3rd round picks....and I'm not sure they'll be in a position to re-sign him.  I'm not in agreement with folks that believe Stecher could/would cost in the range of 4 million - I think he comes in closer to his present cap hit.

I'd also prefer they add their toughness up front - in the form of wingers - who can sit in the box and don't wind up depleting your other 5 D.

If I'm shopping to add a D - it's to replace Benn, not Stecher - Dillon being a LHD would fit nicely in that sense.  If they could dump Benn and land Dillon at a palatable price, I'd be in.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To Ottawa:

Eriksson

Baertschi

Benn

future/s

To Van

Ron Hainsey

Boedker, Macarthur, Callahan - any expiring, dead cap they please.

if only... what concerns me is the futures part is another 1st to move Loui. 

I am kind of slightly surprized, ( not really though) that some former players don't speak up about how shabby the DoPes is.

There must be some ex-players out there not actively working for the league that are just shaking their heads.

BUt i guess not, NHL players like to keep in lock-step with the league

if only... what concerns me is the futures part is another 1st to move Loui. 

I wouldn't be moving any 1st to move LE.

The thing about Snottawa - they love their dead cap. 

Ryan, Callahan, Gaborik, Macarthur, Boedker.... and most of that is expiring...

LE's contract has a base salary of only 4 million over the next two seasons -(3 million paid out in bonus next summer, + 1 million the following year)  with 12 million of cap = useful for a cheap-ass team like Ottawa.

But if they expect a 1st, they can bust rocks.  This isn't imo a desperation situation like the Leafs put themselves in - the Canucks are not negotiatiing from a comparable position of weakness.  So it's more a take-it-or-leave it mid-range futures added kinda offer.  And they can leave either LE or Baer off the table if they prefer.

Flip an expiring Hainsey (at 3.5), throw in some other dead money, get back their inflated cap via salary contracts that they love and maybe there is something there - but don't expect to take home any 1st round picks in the process - I'd just ride out LE's deal instead / bury him in the minors if he won't retire this summer.  Ironic that Kovalchuk is considered such a 'bad' character, but did he not walk away from money?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

probably won't be a popular opinion but...

I think the team might need to move Roussel.

I don't dislike the player, but not sure how vital, or effective he is.

I think they could use more toughness and less agitator.  Trade Roussel - free up his cap for the future - add a rental for this run (Simmonds, Thompson, etc).

As good as Roussel's motor may be - he's not the fastest, not the heaviest, not the hardest guy to play against.

And here's the thing - if you're going to take a fine, perhaps pick your spot better.

Boston - EP gets run. 

Calgary - slashes, cheap shots, clutch and grab all night....

Instead - take a fine on a slash in a lopsided victory on a relatively inconsequential opponent (sorry Yannick but I'd use my freebies on someone else).

If you're not agitating, annoying the opponent's best players - ie Pastrnak, Gaudreau, etc - particulary when your own best players are being hunted....I'm not sure you're doing your job.  And on that note - damn do I miss DDorsett.

Moreover, the league has a hard-on for penalizing Roussel - probably the last thing this team needs in terms of giving them opportunities to shaft us - and in terms of 'reputation'.

I'd rather move on - to guys that command respect - and play a heavier game.  Not taking anything away from him - he was very good last year, he's a good two way hockey player (admittedly drives me nuts sometimes with his puck movement in his own zone) but regardless - if I were GM I'd be shopping him right now.

To Columbus

Roussel

To Van

pick

Flip that - or a lesser - pick in a deal for Thompson, Simmonds....toughness that can play.

Gain 3 million in cap hit over the next couple seasons....he's moveable cap, probably gains a return, particularly at this time of year.

They have ZacMac, Bailey..... Lind - guys in Utica - and can add depth if necessary.  I'm in favour of spending to have centers  like Beagle, Sutter in the mix, but bottom six winger cap is where I'd trim. 

I agree. Rooster is too much of a tweener right now. I think you rotate in guys like Mac and Bailey and they can bring that same energy more effectively. Not really in favor of bringing in a guy like Simmonds or Thompson though. Simmonds doesn't have the pace... as I'm typing this I realize I'm not certain which Thompson you're referring to, but if you mean Nate, I'm not sure that he is someone that is any bigger/heavier than Roussel.  

At the end of the day, the Canucks, IMO, are still rebuilding and if there is any way to pick up a pick for a bottom six forward, they should do it. 

Three guys that the Canucks could target (depending on if Calgary falls off a cliff): Rinaldo, Haley, and Deslauriers. All three have zero hockey sense, but they can go up and down the ice fast enough (especially Rinaldo) so every 4.5 minutes you can send them out for 30 seconds to skate really hard one way, really hard the other way, and then get off the ice. They would add some toughness that the Canucks unfortunately just don't have. There are other players that are equally tough and far more talented than those three, but ultimately those three would come at a price that the Canucks can actually afford during a rebuild.

Edited by Down by the River