The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] - Wild threaten to trade more players

grandmaster

I am not sure how this is a good message.

It throws the team under the bus and doesn’t take any responsibility for it just not having good enough players.

It also tells opposing GMs, that ifhe is calling them about a player it means that player is a quitter.  Not exactly a great sell job for actual playoff bound teams 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

Dumba would be an interesting add to our team. I wonder what it would take. I imagine it starts with Brock. 

The Wild don't have playmaking Cs - Boeser's production would drop.  It's somewhat wasting Dumba's trade value to bring in a scoring winger when they have no one to set him up.  In a few years once they find playmaking Cs but otherwise it doesn't make much sense with how their roster is constructed.  They bring in a top goal scorer and can't benefit fully from his ability.   Boeser is a luxury while playmaking Cs are a desperate need.

GMs around the league are telling Russo that a Dumba trade is unlikely.  Guerin is not going to get the return that will motivate him enough to trade Dumba.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I am not sure how this is a good message.

It throws the team under the bus and doesn’t take any responsibility for it just not having good enough players.

It also tells opposing GMs, that ifhe is calling them about a player it means that player is a quitter.  Not exactly a great sell job for actual playoff bound teams 

He again made it very clear today that he's not looking to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.  He gave several interviews before this presser where he talked of how it's such a good group of guys but that if he has the opportunity to improve the team he will make a move.  

At one point in today's presser he was asked whether he talked to the team about continuing to play hard and not give up on the season. That's when he gave that answer.  It's about compete.  It was the same thing in Vancouver during those early years under Benning.  The Sedins, WD wanted to make sure that guys continued to play hard despite likely not making the playoffs. 

Just a quick look over at the wild's roster and depth, there is not a lot the canucks need vs. what the wild are selling...

Canucks depth is pretty deep at wing but need a 2nd line winger for Bo, ok at C and needs improvement on D preferring a RHD upgrade.

Dumba is about the only d man that should be of interest.

NO to spurgeon and his 167lb frame/ contract combination.

Brodin/Suter would be redundant with the Canucks still having Edler Hughes Benn Fantenberg and likely Juolevi and Tryamkin in the near future. All LHD.

The price for dumba will be HUGE, I really don't think the Canucks should spend any more picks or prospects until after the 2020 draft.

Maybe Foligno if Ferland/Motte/Leivo are out long term... 

Schaller+Eriksson for Foligno!:P:bigblush:

But Minny needs picks and prospects, Canucks don't really have or want to sell them...

Meh, just wait til free agency and target Byfuglien, Pietrangelo and Tanev..Barrie..

Maybe a RFA D man will be traded..

A lot of factors with Eriksson, Luongo penalty, prospects developing, future picks, current roster being re signed(RFA"s), expansion draft, expiring contracts (soon to be ufa), potential  ufa signings...

1 hour ago, mll said:

The Wild don't have playmaking Cs - Boeser's production would drop.  It's somewhat wasting Dumba's trade value to bring in a scoring winger when they have no one to set him up.  In a few years once they find playmaking Cs but otherwise it doesn't make much sense with how their roster is constructed.  They bring in a top goal scorer and can't benefit fully from his ability.   Boeser is a luxury while playmaking Cs are a desperate need.

GMs around the league are telling Russo that a Dumba trade is unlikely.  Guerin is not going to get the return that will motivate him enough to trade Dumba.  

Good points. I think Dumba may be their best trade chip. If they are in need of a centre then there will be more enticing offers than Brock.

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Good points. I think Dumba may be their best trade chip. If they are in need of a centre then there will be more enticing offers than Brock.

Dreger on insider trading just said that Guerin's ask for Dumba or Brodin is a C1.  If it's a C2 there would need to be an add.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Interesting way to talk to your team. 

I have a feeling the Wild are not done with the trades and if he thinks that team will make the playoffs, why would he trade Zucker for prospects and a pick (Galchenyuk is not gonna help them)???

That’s exactly how you should talk to your team.  
The man has won two cups.  He knows what it takes and the effort needed.  
What he is doing is building a team culture, and it’s awesome.  
Full effort or you are out.  
I love it. 

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Interesting way to talk to your team. 

I have a feeling the Wild are not done with the trades and if he thinks that team will make the playoffs, why would he trade Zucker for prospects and a pick (Galchenyuk is not gonna help them)???

hes gonna destroy this team, players are prob hating it and want out 

Sounds more like a reward than a threat.

33 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

hes gonna destroy this team, players are prob hating it and want out 

That's a fantastic trade for the Wild.  Guerin bent Rutherford over with no Vaseline.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

He again made it very clear today that he's not looking to make a trade for the sake of making a trade.  He gave several interviews before this presser where he talked of how it's such a good group of guys but that if he has the opportunity to improve the team he will make a move.  

At one point in today's presser he was asked whether he talked to the team about continuing to play hard and not give up on the season. That's when he gave that answer.  It's about compete.  It was the same thing in Vancouver during those early years under Benning.  The Sedins, WD wanted to make sure that guys continued to play hard despite likely not making the playoffs. 

I think there are a lot of parallels here.  They have some bad long term contracts for older players that nobody would take, but at the same time, those players could play in key positions while young players were introduced to the NHL.  GM is over a barrel.  Going to be a painful rebuild

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Parise and Sutter are laughing, they're not going anywhere

Those two schmucks went for the cash ignoring any chance to ever win a cup.  They are still in a great position as rich athletes but I hope they actually have some internal need to win and that it hurts them internally.......greedy sobs.

haha

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd get talking to the team in the locker room or at a team dinner at Red Lobster, but to use the press as, essentially, a megaphone to the team, is a bad idea.

Guerin should be happy with the team. They beat the Canucks, the top team in the Pacific. That should count for something.

I agree 

I have chastised Minny management before.   

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Those two schmucks went for the cash ignoring any chance to ever win a cup.  They are still in a great position as rich athletes but I hope they actually have some internal need to win and that it hurts them internally.......greedy sobs.

haha

They would have been paid regardless of where they signed - they were coveted free agents.  They wanted to return home to be closer to family.   Both their fathers passed away a couple of years after they returned home.  They talked about how they could never regret that decision because their fathers would have never had the opportunity to come to as many games had they signed elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

They would have been paid regardless of where they signed - they were coveted free agents.  They wanted to return home to be closer to family.   Both their fathers passed away a couple of years after they returned home.  They talked about how they could never regret that decision because their fathers would have never had the opportunity to come to as many games had they signed elsewhere.  

What dyu think of the trade?

I have debated the Minny D with you before. Agreeing they had a great top 4. Weak depth was my input.  I really like their addition of Addison.  Maybe 2 years away.  But they needed some skill in their prospect base as well on D.