The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2010 Vancouver Olympics 10th Year Anniversary Today

DonLever

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Actually, this was pretty much absolutely amazing.

k.d. lang singing this during the opening ceremonies brought the OMGIt'sTheOlympicsInVancouver party in my living room to a silence in which you could have heard a pin drop......on the carpet!! Even the bouncy 2 year old was mesmerized into silence by the power of the lovely Ms. Lang's voice. Total goosebumps time.

Leonard Cohen (who wrote it for those of you who didn't know) said that "she performed it to “its ultimate blissful state of perfection.” I remember many of us were wondering who would appear to sing it...Leonard or k.d.

I was given tickets on my birthday to see her in concert at the Orpheum Theatre 2 1/2 years ago and it was an entire theatre stunned into gobsmacked silence as she sang Hallelujah. Again, you could have heard a pin drop.....Collective goosebumps were shared.

It's quite incredible that this woman onstage in bare feet has this amazing voice tucked inside her....she filled the theatre with Cohen's masterpiece and it truly was one of those moments one never forgets. First at the Vancouver Olympics....and again at the Orpheum in August 2017.

(And the funny thing is, I was NEVER a k.d. lang fan by ANY stretch of the imagination before that Olympics performance :unsure:)

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Like 1

Funny, I could have sworn it was the opening.... :shock:

k.d. lang says she “prepared a lifetime” for her electrifying rendition of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah at the opening ceremonies of theVancouver Olympics.
She admits she “did a lot of meditation, a lot of acupuncture, working out, hiking and visualizing” to ready herself for the show. “I was nervous,” says lang, 48, who is a Buddhist.

“It’s a big deal — three billion (viewers) and representing Canada. I wanted to sing live because it’s the Olympics — and it’s the Olympics for a singer. You get five-and-a-half minutes to do your thing. I took it really seriously and I prepared a lifetime for it.”

She says she was able to calm her nerves when she learned of the Georgian luger’s death. Nodar Kumaritashvili died hours before the ceremonies, but lang learned the news only minutes before her performance. “It took the ‘me’ out of the equation,” she says. “It really made it so much bigger. Impermanence really has a way of waking you up. (The performance) is a big deal, but in a way, it’s not a big deal at all, compared to what life really presents to us.”

Her version of Hallelujah is widely regarded as the highlight of the opening ceremonies. The single is now a bestseller on iTunes.

The Edmonton-born lang also performed at the closing ceremonies of the Calgary Olympics in 1988. “The Alberta rose,” as she was billed, wore a red dress and sang a swinging country number, Turn Me Round.

https://edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/music/lang-on-the-olympics

Feb13.2010

Relive k.d.'s "Hallelujah" Performance in Vancouver

Last night, Canada's own k.d. lang made Olympic magic when she performed the classic Leonard Cohen tune "Hallelujah" for a live audience of 60,000-plus and some three billion television viewers the world over at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Vancouver Sun said k.d. "reminded the world that she is one of the best in the business, with a stirring, spiritual rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" that literally hushed the crowd."

Now you can re-live the moment by watching the it online at NBC's official site for the Games, nbcolympics.com, and by picking up your own copy of the Hallelujah EP at the iTunes Store, featuring the Vancouver Winter 2010 Version; the album track from k.d.'s Nonesuch debut, Hymns of the 49th Parallel; and her performance of the song live at the 2005 Juno Awards.

Recollection, the recently released k.d. lang career retrospective, includes the remastered Hymns of the 49th Parallel take; a new version for Recollection; and, on the deluxe edition's DVD, video of the Juno Awards performance; along with dozens of additional favorites and rarities from k.d.'s 25-year career.

https://www.kdlang.com/news/11949

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Cheers 1

Neil Young sang "Long May You Run" while the Olympic flame was extinguished in both the indoor[3] and outdoor cauldrons. After both flames were extinguished, all four legs of the indoor cauldron descended to the ground.

Closing Ceremony

During the closing ceremony, Nikki Yanofsky, Aboriginal singer Derek Miller, and Canadian Idol winner Eva Avila sang together “Let’s Have a Party” in English and French. Neil Young performed his “Long May You Run” from 1976. Michael Bublé sang the traditional “Maple Leaf Forever”. La Bottine Souriante performed the traditional French Canadian song “Envoyons d’l’avant nos gens”.

Nickelback opened the concert section with their heavy metal tune “Burn it to the Ground”. Avril Lavigne performed her hits “My Happy Ending” and “Girlfriend”. (She also performed at the Torino Olympics in 2006). Alanis Morissette performed her “Wunderkind” from the Chronicles of Narnia soundtrack. Simple Plan performed its “Your Love is a Lie” and Hedley its “Cha-Ching”. Star Academie finalist Marie-Mai sang “Emmène-moi” and k-os performed “Eye Know Something”.

The entire closing ceremony can be seen HERE. (Note: first 30 minutes of the video is a montage of scenes from the 16 days of sports. Most of the entertainment comes after the first 2 hours, the concert section beginning after 2:30.)

https://musiccanada.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/2010-vancouver-winter-olympics-performers/

:gocan::gocan::gocan:

37 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Neil Young sang "Long May You Run" while the Olympic flame was extinguished in both the indoor[3] and outdoor cauldrons. After both flames were extinguished, all four legs of the indoor cauldron descended to the ground.

https://musiccanada.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/2010-vancouver-winter-olympics-performers/

:gocan::gocan::gocan:

It's funny, because what i remember best from the closing ceremonies was Nickelback, which is odd because I'm not even remotely a fan, and Derek Miller is awesome...:unsure:

Edited by RUPERTKBD