The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

From the link:

Staple points to Ottawa Senators pending UFA Jean-Gabriel Pageau as a potential option, but isn't sure whether the Islanders are willing to part with a first-round pick to acquire him. He adds that Anaheim Ducks centre Derek Grant could be a cheaper option for the Islanders, along with New Jersey Devils veteran Travis Zajac, Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis or Detroit Red Wings centre Luke Glendening.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

From the link:

Staple points to Ottawa Senators pending UFA Jean-Gabriel Pageau as a potential option, but isn't sure whether the Islanders are willing to part with a first-round pick to acquire him. He adds that Anaheim Ducks centre Derek Grant could be a cheaper option for the Islanders, along with New Jersey Devils veteran Travis Zajac, Los Angeles Kings forward Trevor Lewis or Detroit Red Wings centre Luke Glendening.

I was wondering about Derek Grant myself as a depth option for the Canucks, but not sure Anahiem would trade him within the division for a reasonable price.  

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

.... and you lost me with Ladd. 

Ladd in the minors with 50% retained costs under $1.75 million to our cap vs. the $6 million we are paying Eriksson.

That is a win for both sides.  We get huge cap relief and the Isles get a defensive roster player for cheap (Eriksson effectively costs them $4.25 more in cap compared with their current state)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Ladd in the minors with 50% retained costs under $1.75 million to our cap vs. the $6 million we are paying Eriksson.

That is a win for both sides.  We get huge cap relief and the Isles get a defensive roster player for cheap (Eriksson effectively costs them $4.25 more in cap compared with their current state)

Sutter is not even listed on the list of potential targets by Staples.  Adding Eriksson would leave them with only 10M in cap space next season to complete their roster - they have 4 RFAs including Barzal.   

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

What if Loui retires after his July 2020 bonus?  Then we are stuck with Ladd.  I could see this as a layer in the summer trade if Loui thinks he can still play.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Sutter is not even listed on the list of potential targets by Staples.  Adding Eriksson would leave them with only 10M in cap space next season to complete their roster - they have 4 RFAs including Barzal.   

All true.  But Barzel is having a down year.  I see a cheaper dollar short term (show me) deal for him. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All true.  But Barzel is having a down year.  I see a cheaper dollar short term (show me) deal for him. 

He doesn't have arbitration rights so they have more leverage this year.  They might prefer to sign him long term at a lower deal than doing bridge.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

You aren’t counting the savings of not having Ladd in that.

Currently Ladd is costing them $4.5 million buried in the minors plus the roster player replacement at about $1 million.

Having Eriksson on their roster costs them $6 million.  Then add the $2.75 retained adds up to $8.75 million... then subtract the $5.5 they are currently spending for that roster spot equals a net increase of just $3.25, and they save a year of term on Ladd’s buried salary.

19 minutes ago, mll said:

He doesn't have arbitration rights so they have more leverage this year.  They might prefer to sign him long term at a lower deal than doing bridge.

IMO Barzel is a great player, and he deserves an Eichel contract. Yes, he’s having a down year, but he’s really good.  

Wouldn't Barzel want a short bridge deal so he can prove he’s worth more?  

Ladd's deal runs a year longer than LE's  - and I doubt a very competitive team like the Isles would both retain cap and eat Eriksson.

If they want Roussel though  - with both Cizikas and Clutterbuck out - he may fit the bill.

Wouldn't feel bad about sending him there.   He and Komarov could drive people nuts together.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You aren’t counting the savings of not having Ladd in that.

Currently Ladd is costing them $4.5 million buried in the minors plus the roster player replacement at about $1 million.

Having Eriksson on their roster costs them $6 million.  Then add the $2.75 retained adds up to $8.75 million... then subtract the $5.5 they are currently spending for that roster spot equals a net increase of just $3.25, and they save a year of term on Ladd’s buried salary.

Canucks are not in a strong bargaining position.  Teams know that they have very little end of season cap space and will have a bonus overage.  It's known that they want to move Eriksson and have to clear cap to sign Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen etc.  I would think they would use that as leverage in any cap dump deal.  

Staples lists Derek Grant (700K) as well as Trevor Lewis (2M) as possible options.  They are upcoming UFAs and wouldn't use up a roster spot for 2 more years.  Clutterbuck and Cizikas are injured for now but will still be under contract next year.  Sounds more like they need a short term solution and you are anchoring them with 2 more years of Eriksson.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if Loui retires after his July 2020 bonus? 

I think that's the gentleman's agreement.

We'll play you all year LE - even after your (overblown) comments in the summer - but if your production doesn't jump - it's curtains after your signing bonus.

After all the b.s. - other teams circumventing the Luongo rule to this team having to eat RL''s recrap - it would only be 'fair' if they caught a break.

At least that's what I'm holding onto until it's time to get angry again.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Sutter for picks. 
free up cap space for seasons to come and open up some for a possible Expiring rental to help this year.

LE is a pipe dream he’d cost more to get rid of than just keeping him. Once all heathy Levio ferland he’ll be relegated back to his most effective position ... the pressbox.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that's the gentleman's agreement.

We'll play you all year LE - even after your (overblown) comments in the summer - but if your production doesn't jump - it's curtains after your signing bonus.

After all the b.s. - other teams circumventing the Luongo rule to this team having to eat RL''s recrap - it would only be 'fair' if they caught a break.

At least that's what I'm holding onto until it's time to get angry again.

Looks like the Habs are already laying the foundation (recent comments in the media) to ship Weber to Robidas Island. Isn’t that island getting full?