The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

13 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Right, the only option is to trade Roussel and Schaller, otherwise you're dumb for arguing anything else.

Classy.

No, declaring Roussel isn't a defensive forward, that we'd be ok moving Sutter for the playoffs that neither he or Beagle are 'important' or that Roussel, a winger, is more important...that's just too much derp in one post to even know where to start and pretty clearly not worth anyone's time in arguing.

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

We have guys on IR that can go on LTIR after Ferland is done with his conditioning stint in Utica.

Still, I can see a move before or at the deadline.

Time will tell I guess.

I agree, and I think Benning at least acquires an Enforcer IMO.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No, declaring Roussel isn't a defensive forward, that we'd be ok moving Sutter for the playoffs that neither he or Beagle are 'important' or that Roussel, a winger, is more important...that's just too much derp in one post to even know where to start and pretty clearly not worth anyone's time in arguing.

Yeah clearly it's not worth yours so bug off.

6 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Sutter is, most likely, the player Benning will move before the deadline.

Modified NTC, so he has given Benning his list of 15 teams.

Contract is $4,375,000, so plenty of cap space to add Ferland to the lineup.

Effective penalty killer and plays a great defensive game.

We will have to add a decent prospect if we want to move salary, though.

We aren't cap dumping Sutter at this point. We are playing for the playoffs, so we don't downgrade (and to boot give up assets). If Sutter stays healthy and has a decent showing in the playoffs, his value would be even greater in the offseason when I think we would consider moving him.

This trade deadline we would be moving peripheral players if anyone at all. I think it's unlikely that we add either and just go with this team and see what happens. If someone wants Sutter though, then they have to pay for him and depending on the offer, I may consider it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We aren't cap dumping Sutter at this point. We are playing for the playoffs, so we don't downgrade (and to boot give up assets). If Sutter stays healthy and has a decent showing in the playoffs, his value would be even greater in the offseason when I think we would consider moving him.

This trade deadline we would be moving peripheral players if anyone at all. I think it's unlikely that we add either and just go with this team and see what happens. If someone wants Sutter though, then they have to pay for him and depending on the offer, I may consider it.

We certainly don’t have to add to get rid of Sutter right now when his use to us is greater than it has been this whole contract.

If someone offered to take Baertschi along with Sutter for a mid round pick... then that is a tough call.  Clearing that much cap is probably worth a lot more than the incremental worsening of our roster by removing him.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

We certainly don’t have to add to get rid of Sutter right now when his use to us is greater than it has been this whole contract.

If someone offered to take Baertschi along with Sutter for a mid round pick... then that is a tough call.  Clearing that much cap is probably worth a lot more than the incremental worsening of our roster by removing him.

Well that's why I would consider the offer, depending on what it is, but we aren't selling Sutter is the point. Someone has to buy him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Benning will have to move a contract. When everyone's healthy, we are over the cap.

I disagree, the trade deadline is the best time to trade a player that is in demand.

Doesn't have to be Sutter, just my analysis of who I believe is likely moved.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ladd's deal runs a year longer than LE's  - and I doubt a very competitive team like the Isles would both retain cap and eat Eriksson.

If they want Roussel though  - with both Cizikas and Clutterbuck out - he may fit the bill.

Wouldn't feel bad about sending him there.   He and Komarov could drive people nuts together.

Yeah, moving Roussel’s contract is probably a good idea. Clears up $3M in 2021-22, when we really need it. And he isn’t doing much right now for our team, think I prefer MacEwen in that spot (esp considering the cap savings).

Even if the return is just a mid-round pick, I’m in favour.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Benning will have to move a contract. When everyone's healthy, we are over the cap.

I disagree, the trade deadline is the best time to trade a player that is in demand.

Doesn't have to be Sutter, just my analysis of who I believe is likely moved.

If we were out of playoff contention, then I understand that mentality. When the playoffs are on the horizon and with a young team and wanting to see what this team can do, we don't sell a center that takes on the hard minutes and is an assistant captain on our team.

We may move a contract, but it'll be more of a peripheral player. Potentially someone like Schaller. Although if we keep having this carousel of a player getting hurt just as one is returning, then we may not have to worry about that. It almost seems unlikely that we will see everyone healthy all at one shot. Roster limits go out the window after the trade deadline, and I'm sure Benning has a plan for the cap that doesn't involve moving a player that is currently important to us.

Well that's why I would consider the offer, depending on what it is, but we aren't selling Sutter is the point. Someone has to buy him.

and in all likelihood - any team looking to add Sutter and just over a year+ in term is likely a team looking to win in the present / that term.

that pretty much excludes the idea of dumping a Baertschi into a deal - not many contenders are going to eat cap, nor are contenders likely to need a Baertschi (by definition, most of them would have top 6 forward groups with no opportunity for Baetschi - or be interested in the risk of his health.

I think there are some distinct 'categories' of potential deals - and some of these don't seem to realize the contradictions built in.

Perhaps Sutter could be dealt on his own - and for a good return.  And then in separte deal(s) those assets could be used to dump LE, Baer types.

The team could then turn around and add some Thompson, Simmonds types that would/should cost very moderate assets.

May be able to break even in some way through that process - but that likelihood is low imo - Sutter will be a difficult player to 'replace' without taking a step back.

Further - there is the consideration that finishing strong minimizes the cost of the Miller deal - so I suspect the team might prefer to finish strong with Sutter types still around, and spend a bit elsewhere to get moves done.  In other words, if Sutter were to be moved, it would not be until the summer.

Sutter, Beagle - too 'foundational' = too vital to the team to 'dump'. 

Some bottom six wingers will not fall in that category imo.

Schaller expiring anyway.

LE, Baer - costs involved in moving them.

Roussel - cap that can be moved, probably for a return - and arguably not 'foundational' - a winger that can be replaced for the most part.

For me it boils down to Roussel - I would not be wasting much to move LE/Baer at this point unless someone blinks - and on that note, I think he'd be relatively valuable to a team like Snottawa, who are losing a fair amount of their cherished dead cap, and for whom LE represents a small salary, a large cap hit, and an actualy veteran presence on the ice.  If they attempt to leverage too much, I'd suggest they can bust rocks.  In the end I'm not worried about cap - it's likely to raise in the range of 2 million this offseason, the team has a few expiring contracts, and re-upping the likes of Marky, Tanev or Virt will involve increase on existing deals - not as significant as  it may appear at first glance imo.  Moving one year of Baertschi is not really that daunting imo.

• Wat 1

I'm no good at this (see previous trade suggestions) but I'm gonna take a stab at it anyways:

Forwards we may be able to live without this playoffs (salary/cap hit in brackets):

Schaller (1.9)

Motte (.975)

Graovac (.7)

Ferland (3.5)

Baertschi (2.29)

Islanders RH D:

Johnny Boychuk 36 yrs 6'2" 223 (6.0)

Noah Dobson 20 yrs 6'3" 179 (.925)

Scott Mayfield 27 yrs 6'5" 223 (1.2)

Ryan Pulock 25 yrs 6'2" 217 (2.65)

Mayfield or Pulock for Schaller and Baertschi?

Mayfield for Schaller?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If the Canucks have playoff aspirations, Eriksson will be very important.

I actually don't dispute that. I still believe that he will be gone before next season, I agree with @Alflives, on retirement, but I think for this season, as much as his contract is extreme over payment, if he was on a 1.5 million contract somewhere else, he'd probably be the type of guy that Benning would look at acquiring at the deadline for defensive depth.

If we were out of playoff contention, then I understand that mentality. When the playoffs are on the horizon and with a young team and wanting to see what this team can do, we don't sell a center that takes on the hard minutes and is an assistant captain on our team.

We may move a contract, but it'll be more of a peripheral player. Potentially someone like Schaller. Although if we keep having this carousel of a player getting hurt just as one is returning, then we may not have to worry about that. It almost seems unlikely that we will see everyone healthy all at one shot. Roster limits go out the window after the trade deadline, and I'm sure Benning has a plan for the cap that doesn't involve moving a player that is currently important to us.

Moving Sutter won't make or break the team.

He's played 59 games over the last two seasons; he hasn't exactly been a major factor in our success.

All of our players play hard minutes.

So who do we move then? Many on here are critical of my analysis, but the suggestions I'm seeing don't solve the problem.

When Ferland comes back, we are over the cap.

When Leivo comes back, we are over the cap.

We can't just use LTIR forever, someone has to be moved.

Who wants Schaller? Baertschi? Eriksson?

We have to add to move these guys. This isn't a foreign concept.

Roussel? Why? He's the most useful of those suggested. He's gelling with Gaudette.

Unless Benning has something up his sleeve, we move a contract.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His minutes and defensive game will be important in playoff hockey.   His value in that department is severely underappreciated.   His offensive production is not as expected at his AAV but forgetting AAV, his contribution as a responsible forward who can move up and down the lineup and eat minutes when you need to control a game are unmatched across the current Canuck lineup save perhaps three others.    

No sarcasm whatsoever.    Hate on as I know this guy gets mostly that.    

The softest, most perimeter player on the entire roster will be important come playoffs? That is LITERALLY when those players disappear COMPLETELY. His defensive game will be useless when the whistles are put away and he shy's away in a corner because of the intensity and physicality. 

C'mon man, you're smarter than this. 

• Cheers 1