The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

Sutter & Baer to NYI, would be a dream realized..would even consider taking back Hickey(buried 2.5 mill, 2 more yrs).

Adding an AHL D might be advisable..think the Comets have some injuries back there again?

Summer deal w/OTT:

Take on the Colin White contract. His buyout at 800k is an option you can ponder for 2 yrs(also expose him at ED)

Just send the Sens 6-8 mill in underperforming vets(Loui +?), & add a good prospect/pick(Woo, Lind type might do it)

A combo of these two moves, can open 10-12 mill in cap(from 2021-22 season, especially)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If the Canucks have playoff aspirations, Eriksson will be very important.

True story. We all laugh about “little things”, but the butterfly effect is real. 

Dont eff with team chemistry. Let them play. The plan is coming together very nicely. 

Honestly if benning were to make a trade this season, i would prefer it was picks. Let the kids get into playoffs and learn from the veterans like sutter and eriksson. 

Sutter isn’t going anywhere. He’s more valuable to the team then a possible cap retention or like some have posted a prospect going along with him. He’s a good piece of the puzzle right now and will be an asset moving closer to the playoffs. He’ll probably finish his contract here and be let go to free agency.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

Roussel isn't a defensive forward IMO, more of a grinder and agitator.

We can move Sutter, for example, and still be okay in the playoffs.

They're not that important for us, they play a fourth line role. 

I would argue, Roussel, will be the most important, of the four players, heading into the playoffs.

Did you see the game yesterday? 
Sutter and Roussel ROCKED.

Basically now that the playoff race is on, the vets are showing up. This team doesn’t nearly have the same success if they don’t ice players like Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Myers.

There may be a case for an Eriksson trade, but even he has turned it up.

These vets ARE. needed.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Moving Sutter won't make or break the team.

He's played 59 games over the last two seasons; he hasn't exactly been a major factor in our success.

All of our players play hard minutes.

So who do we move then? Many on here are critical of my analysis, but the suggestions I'm seeing don't solve the problem.

When Ferland comes back, we are over the cap.

When Leivo comes back, we are over the cap.

We can't just use LTIR forever, someone has to be moved.

Who wants Schaller? Baertschi? Eriksson?

We have to add to move these guys. This isn't a foreign concept.

Roussel? Why? He's the most useful of those suggested. He's gelling with Gaudette.

Unless Benning has something up his sleeve, we move a contract.

This is starting to sound like a broken record.

Is our team better with Sutter in the lineup? Is he currently in our lineup? Are we winning with him in the lineup? He contributes to the team as a center, PKer and lately being put into offensive roles. He's an assistant captain of the team, so he is amongst the leadership group.

With this said, look at what you're saying and look from the perspective of the other team. If Sutter isn't a "make or break" player, why would a team want him this year and next? They are well aware of the injuries as well. Now look at Roussel, clearly you see value there. Look at the players you have projected to return and they are both wingers. Something that Roussel is as well, so he has replacements in place. Schaller could be traded or could be waived to save some cap space as well, but again another winger. I could also see us waiving Leivo or extending his conditioning time as long as possible. We have an abundance of wingers, but center depth (that can take faceoffs) is thin. Sutter has more value to us heading into a playoff position compared to Roussel. Especially when considering that our main call up has also been a winger in MacEwen and now Bailey is getting a look. Who are we calling up should a center go down with an injury (Graovac has been out since near the beginning of the year and was our best center call-up option)? Sutter may not be a bonafide top player for our team, but the ripple effect of "dumping" him is much greater.

Now with that said, I'm not wanting to move Roussel either. But as you're eluding to, we are looking at who is most likely to be moved if we indeed need to move a contract. I think in terms of team balance/chemistry that we could part with, it makes Roussel expendable if need be. I have no doubt that Benning has something up his sleeve to make this all work out. I'm not all that concerned, so long as the team isn't downgrading heading into the playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

True story. We all laugh about “little things”, but the butterfly effect is real. 

Dont eff with team chemistry. Let them play. The plan is coming together very nicely. 

Honestly if benning were to make a trade this season, i would prefer it was picks. Let the kids get into playoffs and learn from the veterans like sutter and eriksson. 

Except that Eriksson has been in the playoffs once in the last 11 years.... twice in his entire career (plus 4 games a call up when his AHL season was done).

He hasn’t exactly been through the battles or proved himself in the post season.  He has also been on the bench for large swaths of the season... so isn’t exactly integral to the team... certainly not compared with the benefit of not having his cap hit.

it is easy to find a cheap veteran, even on an expiring contract, for a run at the Cup.  Heck, picking up Jumbo Joe would be way more useful in the playoffs... it could be the only time the league would care about us winning, just so he could get a Cup.

21 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

1st in the pacific with a 5 pt lead on the 1st WC spot... we’re buyers not sellers, and I doubt we do much of that either. 

You can do both... but I haven’t seen too many signs of that level of creativity from the management group to make me thing it would happen.

LE for Ladd is effectively a lateral move, and puts us ahead cap wise which could be used to pick up a player like Simmonds.

If you can do moves that season with our cap crunch and don’t hurt us in the short term, you still do that.  Like is someone wanted Demko and was willing to take on a bad contract to get him... then we replaced him with a veteran like Miller... again, we end up no worse in the short term and way ahead in the long term.

We are doing too good to sell. Sadly. Sutter would be a good option if we weren't playing the best hockey in years. With playoff aspirations it'd reflect poorly on the team to trade a roster player for a pick or prospect. It'd be nice to shed that contract but I really don't see management cutting the team's bottom 6 depth until the offseason at the earliest.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

it is easy to find a cheap veteran, even on an expiring contract, for a run at the Cup.  Heck, picking up Jumbo Joe would be way more useful in the playoffs... it could be the only time the league would care about us winning, just so he could get a Cup.

Not sure No Show Joe is an influence we want around our youth.  Benning prioritizes character and Thornton isn't exactly known for conducting himself with class or dignity.   Regardless, I'm not interested in any rentals this year.

Edited by King Heffy

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not sure No Show Joe is an influence we want around our youth.  Benning prioritizes character and Thornton isn't exactly known for conducting himself with class or dignity.   Regardless, I'm not interested in any rentals this year.

Is there another Joe Thornton in the league that you are thinking about?  Joe has 133 points in 174 career playoff games which is amazing output considering how much tighter and less scoring happens in the playoffs.

He is also incredibly well respected by his peers around the league and by hockey people in general.  If he goes to a playoff team he will be this year's Ray Bourque with most of the hockey world cheering him on.  Everything he did over the line was to help his team win... no different than Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, or any number of guys who have donned our jersey and we loved for it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sedin-thornton-share-mutual-respect-fraternity-passers/

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

If nothing else , dumping Schaller is not going to hurt the team whatsoever. I’d take a bag of pucks, a used water bottle, or a signed autograph from Garth snow.

This is more of what I'm expecting. Move Schaller for a late pick, maybe see if we can find a taker on Baer with retention and/or adding assets.

Depending on Ferland's health, kick tires on acquiring a guy like Simmonds for cheap. 

Beyond that, any bigger moves will cost bigger assets. Not impossible, but less likely.

• Upvote 1

Sutter was integral to all 3 goals last night. He’s been solid ever since he came back.

Moving LE is a pipe dream (at least until July 1st). Just let it go.

I’d much rather look at moving Roussel. He’s having less impact than Sutter, and has 2 years left on his contract. Sutter’s deal expires exactly when we need it to.

• Cheers 2