The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zach Bogosian

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Since he cleared and goes to the minors then he can be traded with half the cap hit? This according to Ghosts prev post on this page....if so that would be a good option for us. I feel more comfortable having Bogosian as part our 3rd line D going into the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Since he cleared and goes to the minors then he can be traded with half the cap hit? This according to Ghosts prev post on this page....if so that would be a good option for us. I feel more comfortable having Bogosian as part our 3rd line D going into the playoffs.

He could have been traded with half the cap hit even before waived.  A team can retain up to half salary/cap hit in a transaction.

There is nothing extra for bring waived.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He could have been traded with half the cap hit even before waived.  A team can retain up to half salary/cap hit in a transaction.

There is nothing extra for bring waived.

Agreed.  I think the only benefit of being waived is he can stay in the AHL for a while if that’s a benefit to the acquiring team.

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 9:36 AM, Lancaster said:

I remember when some on CDC were creaming to get this guy.

Bogosian might not be a bad choice as a depth piece for the post-season.  $5 million is a bit rich, but he is on the final year of the deal.  Considering that the Canucks are hoping for Tryamkin to return hopefully this year... not sure if there is any room for him, unless someone on the Canucks defense has a nagging injuring and they can use that LTIR trick like back in 2011.  

Would help our power play

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I am pretty sure you are wrong. If Baerstchi is traded his cap hit being less has nothing to do with clearing waivers. His cap hit for this year would be less for the team that acquired him based on the amount of games left in the year but the following year his cap hit would be the maximum amount for that team. 

Yes, so Baertschi in the minors gives a cap cushion of 1.075million to the canuck cap.

If he is called back up to the nhl by van he costs 1.8333 or half of his 3.66 he would have earned if he was not waived to the minors.

So if baer is traded this year his cap hit is 1.83 to the team acquiring him.

Then if he starts next year in the nhl his cap his is 3.66.

If he starts in the minors, he costs the same amount he does playing for utica.

Baertschi still gets his 3.66 regardless of what league he is in.

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yes, so Baertschi in the minors gives a cap cushion of 1.075million to the canuck cap.

If he is called back up to the nhl by van he costs 1.8333 or half of his 3.66 he would have earned if he was not waived to the minors.

Seriously, how in the hell did Baer get that contract?  What was JB thinking?  I think most here were completely shocked we resigned Baer, and at that cap and term, knowing it was the wrong move for the future of the team.  Loui, Sutter, and Baer.  Those are the three killer contracts that JB MUST get rid of this summer.  We need to keep Marky and Tanev.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, how in the hell did Baer get that contract?  What was JB thinking?  I think most here were completely shocked we resigned Baer, and at that cap and term, knowing it was the wrong move for the future of the team.  Loui, Sutter, and Baer.  Those are the three killer contracts that JB MUST get rid of this summer.  We need to keep Marky and Tanev.  

Hindsite is 2020. But ya, I wasn't big on the term at the time. Should of been two years. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:44 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Where is this half of his cap hit upon being recalled come from?

He costs exactly the same as he would have if he was never sent to the minors (his full AAV divided by the number of days of the season he is on the roster for). 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:44 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

His cap hit is 3.37M if he is in the NHL.   A team can only bury 1.075M of a player's cap hit in the minors - Baertschi still counts for 2.291M on the cap when in the AHL.  

Clearing waivers doesn't change his cap hit.  It's where he plays that does - NHL or AHL.  Canucks can trade him with up to 50% retention - that portion then stays on the Canucks' books.