The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zach Bogosian

I checked this guy’s stats and I can’t believe how over paid he has been over the years. At least LE had a good statistical year to base his current deal. Bogo’s stats are below average in every year! How did they justify a multi year deal on this guy that paid him 5M X 7yrs?????:shock:

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

... next week?

There is no good excuse for not having gone this route with him already to at least test Eriksson’s resolve to hang out in the minors for three seasons.

If we were in a cap crunch and Ferlund was coming back, I would say yes,  but he at least now can get us empty net points and kill penalties, lol

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

... next week?

There is no good excuse for not having gone this route with him already to at least test Eriksson’s resolve to hang out in the minors for three seasons.

I agree. I have mentioned maybe they have an agreement where LE finishes this year, collects his bonus in July, then retires. 

15 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Was Bogosian - Myers ever a pairing? Maybe we can flip Baertschi for him or something.

In an old NHL GM Mode(I think it might have been NHL 12 or 13) I traded for both Bogosian and Myers. Even though they both shoot the same side they were very dominant as my top pairing.

I wonder what the story is behind this.

He is still a solid top 4 D, and at half price would be a bargain.

I think someone suggested a subsistence abuse problem, that is probably just rumour.  If it was really the case, his agent would have arranged for him to go into their program and keep his contract and millions of dollars.

Maybe he is just sick of being on terrible teams and had a place he really wants to go.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I wonder what the story is behind this.

He is still a solid top 4 D, and at half price would be a bargain.

I think someone suggested a subsistence abuse problem, that is probably just rumour.  If it was really the case, his agent would have arranged for him to go into their program and keep his contract and millions of dollars.

Maybe he is just sick of being on terrible teams and had a place he really wants to go.

I agree.

Bogosian at half price would be worth it...depending on the ask.

I didn't hate @Kobayashi Maru's proposal of Baer + Stecher for Bogosian with whatever retention even out the $'s.

We swap Stecher for Bogo on our 3rd pair RD for the playoffs and drop Baer's hit next year. They swap a disgruntled Bogo for a younger, cost controlled RFA depth RD (which is all they need behind Risto and Montour).

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I didn't hate @Kobayashi Maru's proposal of Baer + Stecher for Bogosian with whatever retention even out the $'s.

We swap Stecher for Bogo on our 3rd pair RD for the playoffs and drop Baer's hit next year. They swap a disgruntled Bogo for a younger, cost controlled RFA depth RD (which is all they need behind Risto and Montour).

We don't have to trade anything now... if Buffalo actually goes ahead and terminates his contract that is.  He is a UFA and can sign anywhere.  Kind of classy for Buffalo to do that, as they could have waited until after the deadline so he couldn't sign anywhere this season.  Buffalo has basically no one signed after this season, if the cap is flat and money tight, they have a good chance of remaking their roster by taking on contracts or signing UFAs who are finding less takers due to the shortage of cap space.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don't have to trade anything now... if Buffalo actually goes ahead and terminates his contract that is.  He is a UFA and can sign anywhere.  Kind of classy for Buffalo to do that, as they could have waited until after the deadline so he couldn't sign anywhere this season.  Buffalo has basically no one signed after this season, if the cap is flat and money tight, they have a good chance of remaking their roster by taking on contracts or signing UFAs who are finding less takers due to the shortage of cap space.

We do still need to get rid of Baer's hit though.

Could this become a norm for players and teams to get out of contracts? If they are able to resign with a new team that year, you would think any Player not happy where they are and Not wanting to go to AHL would try this. I guess they leave a lot of money on the table which is why is doesn’t happen all the time though. 

Bogosian might be a good choice for Benning to pick up. At 6'3 226 lbs., he's a large player, and from all accounts is a decent skater. He was also drafted 3rd overall, which might give some Canucks fans flashbacks regarding another larger defenseman previously on the roster.

If Benning could sign him for cheap, this might be good idea to help the team for the playoffs, in having a bottom pairing d-man with size and the willingness to use it when whistles get put away. Benn doesn't seem to be cutting it. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We do still need to get rid of Baer's hit though.

I am assuming that now he has been terminated, Bogosian signs for pro-rated $1 million for the rest of the season to try to raise his value, and then tests free agency in the summer.

EDIT:  if we did manage to entice him, with the opportunity to be tried on an Edler pairing instead of Stecher... that lets us move Stecher for a 3rd or package him up with getting rid of Baertschi’s contract.

We should really be in on Bogosian... though I bet several teams would be.  He has to balance chance at the Cup, and what team gives him the best chance to showcase for the summer (sitting in the press box in Tampa doesn’t do him a lot of good).  Not many teams have a good combination of both like we do.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2