The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zach Bogosian

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s spent a huge swath of this season sitting. I’m thinking he’ll take whatever he can get to make an impression to salvage his career. 

Plus nobody has performed in Buffalo.  There is something toxic there and as long as Bogosian isn’t the reason then he would have a good chance to up his value and sign a contract next year with us or someone else.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Lol our luck if we tried this with Eriksson he would just show up and play for Utica getting the $$$$$

Riding buses in Utica would be a shattering thought, not just pride in his abilities lost, but the embarrassment, the chirps, being away from his family... i think he retires after his bonus. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Is Bogosian worth the pick up, if he would be interested in signing with the Canucks? 

He has size (6'3), but is he any good? Better than any of our current top four dmen? 

Bogosian is like a bigger, meaner version of Tanev, maybe not as good defensively but still above average... maybe skating too

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I would be OK if they get Bogo.  Then trade Stecher (for Simmonds?) as it seems he's not in future plans.

Can't afford to add Simmonds, can't make the cap work.

BENNING GO AFTER CBJ JOSH ANDERSON

OR NJD MILES WOOD OR NYI ROSS JOHNSTON!:frantic:

He's cheap cap hit and slightly higher value should be easy to negotiate with cbj.

BENNING GO AFTER DAMON SEVERSON OR RISTOLAINEN :frantic:

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Plus nobody has performed in Buffalo.  There is something toxic there and as long as Bogosian isn’t the reason then he would have a good chance to up his value and sign a contract next year with us or someone else.

My thoughts exactly. Players are always anxious to make an exodus out of there. They’re no closer to contending than they were when they drafted Eichel. 

The Canucks are doing markedly better overall, and can only move upwards from here. I think a lot of people paint Bogosian with the Buffalo brush, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him turn his game around (somewhat) outside of the aura of Buffalo. 

I’m all for signing him for the remainder of the season and trading either Stecher or Benn. Preferably Stecher because I’d hope Benn would harness some of that magnificent beard power for the playoffs. Much like Bogosian. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My thoughts exactly. Players are always anxious to make an exodus out of there. They’re no closer to contending than they were when they drafted Eichel. 

The Canucks are doing markedly better overall, and can only move upwards from here. I think a lot of people paint Bogosian with the Buffalo brush, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him turn his game around (somewhat) outside of the aura of Buffalo. 

I’m all for signing him for the remainder of the season and trading either Stecher or Benn. Preferably Stecher because I’d hope Benn would harness some of that magnificent beard power for the playoffs. Much like Bogosian. 

And they would likely be paired together from time to time so they can step in for the usual San Jose playoff beards that won’t be anywhere near the playoffs this year.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sabres D-core is not bad actually. Harder to crack than ours you can even say. Risto/Dahlin/McCabe/Montour/Miller/Jokiharju is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Ullmark has also taken a step this year.

Problem is they got one forward line that consists of one top NHL forward and no clear direction from the coaching and management team. Topple that with players probably reeling from the lack of direction from management/coaching staff and you got this pathetic product on the ice.

They really should be better than what they are.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sabres D-core is not bad actually. Harder to crack than ours you can even say. Risto/Dahlin/McCabe/Montour/Miller/Jokiharju is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Ullmark has also taken a step this year.

Problem is they got one forward line that consists of one top NHL forward and no clear direction from the coaching and management team. Topple that with players probably reeling from the lack of direction from management/coaching staff and you got this pathetic product on the ice.

They really should be better than what they are.

All the more reason they should trade from their strength (defense) to bolster their offense. Not sure we have what it takes to get it done, but they need to do something. If Risto is involved in a trade, I can only imagine it'll be an offseason move rather than a TDL move unless some team is willing to go nuts and pay out the wazoo.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Let’s swing for the fences and grab Kovalchuk too.....Although he’s already been reclaimed. ::D

We can rebuild them...

They want a 2nd + (if they don’t re-sign him). There’s reportedly a fair amount of interest in him. Since Vancouver doesn’t have a 2nd this year I’d imagine they’d likely be out of the running. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's now a free agent.......I wonder if he's open to signing a contract to finish this season........is that even possible?

I think we are going to move a D man for future considerations or a late pick just to make room for a player like this.

a player like Bogosian is badly needed on our D core.  

I think Tanev or Stetcher are moved to create a space for an extremely physical asset.

Zach-Bogosian-BUF-featured.jpgZach Bogosian|Claus Andersen/Getty Images

JPDClinton-Colour-Headshot-266x267.png

By Jared Clinton

February 21, 2020

WHEN REPORTS SURFACED IN DECEMBER THAT ZACH BOGOSIAN HAD REQUESTED A TRADE, IT SEEMED, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, HIS TIME WITH THE SABRES WOULD COME TO AN END THIS SEASON. BUT FEW WOULD HAVE EXPECTED HIS TENURE IN BUFFALO TO END LIKE THIS.

PLACED ON WAIVERS BY THE SABRES LAST WEEK, AND SUBSEQUENTLY PASSED OVER BY THE REST OF THE NHL’S FRANCHISES, BOGOSIAN WAS SUSPENDED BY BUFFALO EARLIER THIS WEEK FOR FAILING TO REPORT TO THE AHL’S ROCHESTER AMERICANS. BUT THE SABRES WENT ONE STEP FURTHER FRIDAY, PLACING THE 29-YEAR-OLD REARGUARD ON UNCONDITIONAL WAIVERS FOR THE PURPOSE OF TERMINATING HIS CONTRACT. CURRENTLY IN THE FINAL SEASON OF A SEVEN-YEAR, $36-MILLION PACT WITH A $5.14-MILLION CAP HIT, BOGOSIAN WILL BECOME AN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT UPON THE TERMINATION OF HIS DEAL AND BE FREE TO SIGN WITH ANY CLUB.

IT’S AN ODD FINAL CHAPTER IN WHAT HAS BEEN A TURBULENT TIME FOR BOGOSIAN WITH THE SABRES. ONCE ONE OF THE MAIN PIECES IN THE BLOCKBUSTER EIGHT-PLAYER SWAP THAT BROUGHT HIM AND EVANDER KANE TO BUFFALO AND SENT TYLER MYERS, DREW STAFFORD AND JOEL ARMIA, AMONG OTHER PIECES, TO THE WINNIPEG JETS, BOGOSIAN FAILED TO REALLY BECOME THE EFFECTIVE TOP-PAIRING REPLACEMENT HE WAS PROJECTED TO BE. TO BE SURE, THE SABRES GAVE HIM THE MINUTES. HE AVERAGED MORE THAN 26 MINUTES IN THE 21 GAMES HE PLAYED IN BUFFALO AFTER THE TRADE IN 2014-15 AND REMAINED A 20-MINUTE-PLUS PLAYER IN 2015-16 AND 2016-17. 

BUT REPEATED INJURIES LED TO STOPS AND STARTS. TAKE THE 2017-18 CAMPAIGN. AFTER MISSING 44 GAMES ACROSS THE TWO PRIOR SEASONS, BOGOSIAN MISSED ALL BUT 18 GAMES DUE TO A HIP INJURY THAT LATER REQUIRED SURGERY. HE WAS BACK THE FOLLOWING SEASON, BUT MISSED 17 GAMES WITH A VARIETY OF LOWER-BODY AILMENTS. THAT LED TO THIS SEASON. BOGOSIAN STARTED ON INJURED RESERVE AND HAS MISSED MORE GAMES THAN HE’S PLAYED.

THE RESULT IS THAT BOGOSIAN, WHO WAS ON THE FRINGES OF THE CALDER TROPHY CONVERSATION AS A ROOKIE AND HAD SOME HIGHS DURING HIS TIME IN WINNIPEG, NOT LEAST OF WHICH WAS A CAREER-BEST 30-POINT SEASON IN 2011-12, WASN’T ABLE TO DISCOVER THAT SAME FORM IN BUFFALO. HE EXCEEDED 20 POINTS ONLY ONCE, HIS ICE TIME FLUCTUATED REGULARLY AND HIS UNDERLYING NUMBERS WERE HARDLY SPARKLING. THIS SEASON, HE HAD THE WORST EXPECTED GOALS AGAINST PER 60 MINUTES MARK (2.48) OF ANY SABRES DEFENDER. GRANTED, HE LOGGED HEAVY OWN-ZONE MINUTES AND HIS STARTS LEANED HEAVILY TOWARDS THE DEFENSIVE SIDE OF THE ICE, BUT THAT CAN ONLY GO SO FAR IN EXPLAINING HIS POOR ADVANCED STATS.

THE QUESTION NOW, THOUGH, IS WHAT COMES NEXT FOR BOGOSIAN. IT’S CLEAR HIS INTENTION WASN’T TO STAY IN BUFFALO BEYOND THIS SEASON AND, IF HE HAD HIS WAY, IT SEEMS HE WOULDN’T EVEN HAVE BEEN WITH THE SABRES THIS LONG. BUT WHAT IS ALSO CLEAR IS THERE’S NOT A SINGLE TEAM IN THE NHL WHO BELIEVED HE WAS WORTH PICKING UP AT HIS $5 MILLION-PLUS CAP HIT, NOR SEEMINGLY A TEAM WHO WANTED HIM AT HALF THAT PRICE. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported the Sabres tried “hard to trade (Bogosian) and was willing to retain 50 percent” of his cap hit.

But the interest in Bogosian should pick up now that he’s a free agent.

With the trade deadline on the horizon, there will be teams seeking blueline depth and most will be looking to do so on a budget. And despite his injury struggles, Bogosian is certainly an NHL-caliber defender, even if only on the third pairing with a contending team. When teams swing and miss on those they’re after – or if they balk at the prices – Bogosian will be an available option. The bonus? He can ink a deal at a reasonable cap hit and any team signing him won’t need to give up an asset to bring Bogosian aboard. It seems incredibly unlikely that he goes unsigned through the deadline. For teams that can afford it, which should be every single contending team, Bogosian stands to be the lowest of low-risk additions.

Playing for a cut rate can be beneficial for Bogosian, as well, if for no other reason than giving him the chance to finally experience the post-season. He’s played 636 NHL games, but not a single one in the post-season. He wasn’t going to get there in Buffalo, not this season. Now that he might have the chance to pick between a few clubs, though, maybe he finally gets a taste of playoff action.

When colleague Steven Ellis wrote Thursday about struggling players who could benefit from a change of scenery at the deadline, Bogosian didn’t land on the list. But he very well could have. He’s relatively young. Though injuries have slowed him, he moves fairly well for a 6-foot-3 defender. He can shoot. He can move the puck. In the right situation, he could become a versatile and useful fourth, fifth or sixth defenseman. And assuming he signs somewhere prior to Monday’s deadline, Bogosian could have the opportunity to showcase that before the season is through.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

With you here PB ...  Beard Power over Peach Fuzz ;)  

just seems we are medium to high skilled on D and low on our physical Attributes.  

I like Benn, and Fantenberg for their medium/ medium attributes..  Bogosian brings a higher quality of both, definitely a playoff warrior build on this player, seething a chance at playoff play, and a new sheet to jump start his career.

i beleive if we landed him, and he proved well with us,. This players happiness would offer us the hometown discount some players take for living on the Beautiful West Coast, compared to the Land Locked USA.  

IF .. he ends up here I see him as a 2-3 yr/ 4m per player and perfect mentor for Rafferty and Tryamkin , and back bone for Edler Myers. If I remember correctly Zachary has a deadly hard heavy shot that makes the net for Miller Virtannen MacEwan Motte Beagle Toffoli and others to hammer home on its rebound capabilities.

Bogozian should really be a “no brainer” for this team..  it’s exiting the player or players that should offer the future assets and cap relief for next season that should too.

The immediate crunch seems to fall on Stetcher..   and I don’t want Barrie for him..  I’d rather see a prospect from the last draft, or a second rnd pick 2 years from now.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

With you here PB ...  Beard Power over Peach Fuzz ;)  

just seems we are medium to high skilled on D and low on our physical Attributes.  

I like Benn, and Fantenberg for their medium/ medium attributes..  Bogosian brings a higher quality of both, definitely a playoff warrior build on this player, seething a chance at playoff play, and a new sheet to jump start his career.

i beleive if we landed him, and he proved well with us,. This players happiness would offer us the hometown discount some players take for living on the Beautiful West Coast, compared to the Land Locked USA.  

IF .. he ends up here I see him as a 2-3 yr/ 4m per player and perfect mentor for Rafferty and Tryamkin , and back bone for Edler Myers. If I remember correctly Zachary has a deadly hard heavy shot that makes the net for Miller Virtannen MacEwan Motte Beagle Toffoli and others to hammer home on its rebound capabilities.

Bogozian should really be a “no brainer” for this team..  it’s exiting the player or players that should offer the future assets and cap relief for next season that should too.

The immediate crunch seems to fall on Stetcher..   and I don’t want Barrie for him..  I’d rather see a prospect from the last draft, or a second rnd pick 2 years from now.

I agree, but he's going to be heavily pursued, doubtful Van has much of a chance.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but he's going to be heavily pursued, doubtful Van has much of a chance.

I think we do.  No team took him at half the cap which would be 2.5, so I think we just need to be the highest bidder up to 2.5 and that gives us a good chance.  We move Stecher to make it cap neutral for an asset and we are in good shape.  Unless of course he’s a player that says he would never play in Canada. We have a lot of Americans if that helps.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think we do.  No team took him at half the cap which would be 2.5, so I think we just need to be the highest bidder up to 2.5 and that gives us a good chance.  We move Stecher to make it cap neutral for an asset and we are in good shape.  Unless of course he’s a player that says he would never play in Canada. We have a lot of Americans if that helps.

I'm crossing my fingers for that exact plan but you'd think Toronto will go hard after him and they're awfully close to Buffalo (no uprooting for him/his family).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm crossing my fingers for that exact plan but you'd think Toronto will go hard after him and they're awfully close to Buffalo (no uprooting for him/his family).

I absolutely think TO is the front runner

• Cheers 1