The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette for Ristolainen

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes this is true. Long term I mean Risto can walk in a couple years. But if we could lock him up long term then I agree with you. And we have Madden who could be a Gaudette replacement and might even be better as a 3rd line centre with his speed and 200’ game like his father. 

I believe Madden is a bit undersized is he not? I would offer Madden to the Sabres before Gaudette.

I think AG is exactly what we do not need to trade.  Size and skill with grit at center. hmm how long have we needed that. And i love his attitude.

The D pool has a bit more depth and we have not yet seen what we have in some of the prospects. I would stand pat. I think Risto is a good player but thats more than I would give up to get him. There may be a better option in the draft also. This team is young and still developing.

Edited by mikeyman109

If we did this and Buffalo said yes, I would be all over it.

We have solid forward depth and prospects in the pipeline, and great goalie depth with prospects in the pipeline.  We have between zero and one top 4D in the system to replace older guys.

Effectively every other team in the league beats that proposal though.  You are talking about a top pairing young D who eats well over 20 minutes a game and scores more than 40 points every single year.... and is on a cheap cap hit.  That is a guy who gets you a 1st round pick and a blue chip prospect in return, probably more.

Edited by Provost

What about Gaudette + 3rd for Colton Scissons?    Scissons is young, has a tremendous long term cap friend cap hit, and is an excellent defensive forward and face off guy.    The presence of Scissons would allow Horvat to focus on offense.   

I highly doubt that Nashville would give up Scissons for that package, but you never know.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I was just reading the proposed Boeser for Dumba thread and I feel it would not be a great trade.

So I was wondering whom we could target to upgrade our defense and I once again ended up back on Ristolainen.

Rasmus Ristolainen:  6'4"  215, right shot, 25 yrs old; 26 points so far this year.

On the Buffalo boards they say they need a 2nd line centre bad. When I looked at their centres I saw this:

Eichel - already at 73 points

Reinhart - 48 points; usually a winger with Eichel it looks like

Girgensons - 15 points

Larsson - 13 points

Canucks centres:

Petey - 57 points; although wing with Miller usually

Miller - 57 points

Horvat - 46 points

Gaudette - 27 points

Sutter - 15 points in 33 games

So basically, Buffalo's 2nd line centre has 15 points which is terrible. We have five centres with at least that.

Would any of you do the following (cap needs to even out as both teams are cap strapped)?

Vancouver trades:

Gaudette (900k)

Stecher (2.3 mill)

Leivo (1.5 mill ufa)

for

Buffalo trades:

Ristolainen (5.4 mill)

Probably need to tweak one side or the other....I threw in Leivo for the cap but also because Buffalo says they need offense and Leivo was doing quite well before the injury.

The main deal is Gaudette for Risto.  They badly need a 2C which Gaudette could be for them and he should continue to develop. Gaudette is already better than anyone they have at 2C. In fact Gaud already has almost twice as many points as anyone that plays 2C for them.   I love Gaudette but we do have Sutter (who I doubt Buffalo would take) and Madden in the pipeline to replace Gaudette.

Ristolainen is big upgrade over Stecher in size and nastiness. He can play big minutes if needed.  He has also been playing huge minutes for Buffalo and been getting shredded plus minus wise. I bet if he played with a guy like Edler his plus minus would suddenly be very good. 

Although I love Gaudette, I would do this trade.

The Canucks can not trade Gaudette now that Boeser is injured and for the future the Canucks can’t trade him either as they don’t have any players like him ready to play in the NHL for at least 3 years (specially after trading Madden). Ristolainen is not the type of defenseman the Canucks need, if you are going after a player at $5.4 million neighborhood then Hampus Lindholm is the defenseman you go after with 2 more years left to replace Tanev after this year and Anaheim would pay part of Lindolm’s salary for this season in the deal because they have the cap room.