The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TDL Strategy; Think Now, or Look Ahead?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

It's a general question, where I'd hope some more knowledgeable(& detail-oriented) posters might chime in w/ their insights.

First, gonna say expecting Gent Jimbo to stay fairly conservative, & try to roll with the lineup that's gotten us to this pretty solid point. That's basically observation/expectation; not intended as criticism. But folks might like to project the wk, or toss in the old 2 cents worth...

What if he's offered a deal that adds picks(let's say a 2nd & 3rd, as random suggestion); yet it both damages our spring 2020 depth, but also alleviates our cap-crunch for next season's lineup? Again randomly, but send out names like Sutter and Stecher types, taking back 2020-expiring contracts of lesser, depth players(+ aforementioned picks)

In point form:

1- Do we overstate TDL dealing risk? An argument can be made that the 2020 crop is so good, the worst-case(missing PO's), might benefit the roster even more, long term.

Do you worry about gifting a top pick(to TBay) next season, becoming an unnecessary distraction? A-Personally, I wouldn't, because JTM has been SO damn good!

2- With an ED approaching(spring 2021), a team could get further benefit, from making earlier, proactive moves.

3- We shift some late-season, depth-responsibility to younger bottom-6 types(eg: Bailey, Big Mac, as opposed to established names), should more injuries surface.

4- IF JB knows NT is returning, could we risk selling a D, if the return at deadline is appreciably boosted a notch(or 2)?

5- IF deadline prices are low, it might be a good time to buy one desirable piece(eg: we sell 3 or 4 assets in such a deal)..simply because this deadline is cheaper, relative to past seasons. I'd like to include this option, although it runs contrary to the main points here.

6- Any specific deadline approach/emphasis you'd like to see the team employ?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think that JB has a shopping list/todo list going into deadline.

#1. Unless a major upgrade drops on us for very reasonable return, we hold with really minor trades only. See number 2 for those trades:

#2. Move Baerstchi to another team who's looking for some middle six security and scoring depth. If the rumors of Tryamkin returning are accurate, look for Benning to move either Stecher or Benn to make room for Tryamkin.

#3. Minor re-positioning of our current prospects, I could see Gadjovich or Boucher being on the table in the right deal that would add more depth in Utica.

Of anything that I've listed, I think moving Baerstchi is his number 1 priority, and that would clear the space necessary to bring Tryamkin back with no other moves. Everything else, I believe could float till summer, with the amount of LTIR that we have this season.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You’re not going to get anything of consequence for Stecher given how he’s played this season and the ice time he’s currently getting. We’re better off keeping him for depth in the postseason.  

The specific player is of lesser importance here. Mainly I'm wondering do we focus 100% emphasis upon this season's run? Or do we partially look ahead, with player additions & cap calculations?

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You’re not going to get anything of consequence for Stecher given how he’s played this season and the ice time he’s currently getting. We’re better off keeping him for depth in the postseason.  

I haven't seen any problem with how Stecher has played this year. We are deeper at defense, and as such, he's been playing a little less minutes. He's averaging a little over 15 minutes a night which isn't bad for 5/6 pairing, which is really, I think, his sweet spot for effectiveness. If we do put him on the market for trade, he will generate a lot of interest.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think Jim makes some moves this year, he's seen glimpses of how good the Canucks can be when they're all in. It's playoffs or bust. Hopefully Ferland comes back healthy and contributes. I could see any of the following being dealt: Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Stecher or Benn. If any prospects are going, my guess it would be Lockwood or Madden.  

• Thanks 1

I think more conservative is the way to go. Partly because of the coming cap crunch JB has set himself up for may make it impossible to do much anyways.  Especially if Ferland is..... for sure, for sure this time I promise cross my heart... coming back soon.   And Leivo in another month.  Then we'll have a bit of a glut of veteran forwards, so if we can swap an average forward for an average defenseman from a team with the opposite problem, however you interpret "average", it might be good to shore up our D depth. Where's Biega? (I kid)

I certainly hope Tram can rejoin the team once his season is over.  Size is so important come playoffs. Myers is an example where size, and reach, makes up for skill. Most of the time at least. IMO Stecher is a better defensive defenseman than Myers, but he gets paid half as much because of his size.

But definitely no trading away promising prospects or 1-3 round picks for a rental. Our window is just opening a crack now, we are still finishing the rebuild, and we are already down a #1 pick. I don't want to jinx us winning the Cup this year...but in all honestly, we have to be thinking of adding more prospects to help us in the coming years. If anything, even just to take advantage of their ELCs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I haven't seen any problem with how Stecher has played this year. We are deeper at defense, and as such, he's been playing a little less minutes. He's averaging a little over 15 minutes a night which isn't bad for 5/6 pairing, which is really, I think, his sweet spot for effectiveness. If we do put him on the market for trade, he will generate a lot of interest.

You’re not going to get much for an undersized #6D unless he puts a lot of points on the scoreboard (especially for the postseason).  I think a guy like Benn would attract more interest but we need him for that reason as games often get more physical in the playoffs.  Late round pick or depth n the playoffs.  I like getting more picks as anyone but given how weak the West is this year, keep the insurance policy (depth) over a 4th round pick 

I see it as both in that thinking now (playoffs) is a developmental process in looking ahead (assessing what we have and future moves to make). Someone like Sutter is valuable in that he's a center, part of the leadership group and plays some of the hard minutes. He helps with the development of the team. With that said, I'd explore moving him in the off season mainly from a cap perspective and possibly have gained his value through hopefully a decent playoff run.

Moving someone like Stecher is feasible considering his minutes and projection that Tryamkin would be returning. It won't be much of a return, but a bit of cap relief and the likelihood of him not returning next season is justifiable enough. Schaller might be another trade/waiver option. I can see Roussel being a trade option, but likely in the offseason and depending on how he shows in the playoffs. I think Leivo would've been the odd man out, but his injury might keep him here for this season and he walks as UFA.

I am opposed to moving out Tanev and if he walks as a UFA, then so be it. He, like Sutter, is valuable towards a playoff drive and development of our young guys, especially so considering his partner is often Hughes. Tanev will be our playoff "rental" in this case and I am fine with that.

With Benning's draft record and our prospect depth, I'm not concerned about this year's 1st. Every year will have their gems and if things go the way they do, we should hopefully have bottom half of each round of the draft for next little while anyway. Might as well try and push that 1st that we are giving up as low as possible. Any proactive moves towards the ED will be done in the offseason and really the only concern is goaltending and we need to see where this Markstrom contract leads to before making any real decision towards that.

I don't see any real need to add this season as we have too much depth on wing as it is and we could get a free acquisition in Tryamkin on defense. If we make a move, I'd like to see a decent minor league center added should injuries arise, but even then Graovac may return by then to be that guy. The only goal should be to see if we can shed some cap on the peripheral players.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You’re not going to get much for an undersized #6D unless he puts a lot of points on the scoreboard (especially for the postseason).  I think a guy like Benn would attract more interest but we need him for that reason as games often get more physical in the playoffs.  Late round pick or depth n the playoffs.  I like getting more picks as anyone but given how weak the West is this year, keep the insurance policy (depth) over a 4th round pick 

I think if we can move Baerstchi, it will give us the room to sign Tryamkin and still keep someone like Stecher for insurance. Regardless, something tells me that Stecher will be gone before next training camp.

Bae I think has even less value that Stecher because of the extra year on his contract.  We’ll have to retain salary to move him and we’re kind of tight cap wise as it is.  But then again Benning was able to unload a #6D on truly awful multi year contract AND get a pretty solid player in return so anything is possible.

Its just too bad Bae couldn’t stay healthy.  Would’ve been a solid player for us I think.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Simmonds is probably the most we could afford, assuming that someone doesn't go crazy outbidding us. I could maybe see adding another depth 6/7 d man. 

But you never know, no one saw the Miller deal coming. I don't mind Jim doing something like this again and burning another 1st, if its for a true top 4 d with at least 3 years of term left. 

• Like 1

The 2019 moves are quite good.

I guess BN will further make moves in 2020 to benefit the team in future,

Below is my thinking:

Tree will be back.

Trade or waive  Loui, Baer, Goldy, Demko, one of Elder or Tanev, one of Benn or Fantg
Keep Stretch, Gaud, Jake, Sutter, Motte, Leivo

BN should have the list of additions, but I could not guess the names in the list.

• Wat 1

39 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

The 2019 moves are quite good.

I guess BN will further make moves in 2020 to benefit the team in future,

Below is my thinking:

Tree will be back.

Trade or waive  Loui, Baer, Goldy, Demko, one of Elder or Tanev, one of Benn or Fantg
Keep Stretch, Gaud, Jake, Sutter, Motte, Leivo

BN should have the list of additions, but I could not guess the names in the list.

Barf.

Ok there bud....:picard:

• Cheers 1