The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Andy Greene to Islanders for David Quenneville, 2021 2nd-round pick

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Trotz was probably consulted on it, no doubt he'll fit the team. 

I'm still curious what could be done for Simmonds, seems to be NJ is getting the overpayments today so maybe standing pat is just fine. 

agreed - if the market is gonna be a seller's market - forget it.

that Coleman deal was prettys steep  - but there'll only be so many affordable (cap) guys - with term, like him available.

Zucker deal a seller's deal as well, imo.

perhaps too many buyers, not enough teams eliminated or selling.

maybe a good time to sell AR.

pcikup Thompson maybe...

I'm not that invested either way, really.

Edited by oldnews

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Trotz was probably consulted on it, no doubt he'll fit the team. 

I'm still curious what could be done for Simmonds, seems to be NJ is getting the overpayments today so maybe standing pat is just fine. 

NJD seems to be going full youth movement and it doesn't sound like they are willing to take a veteran with term in return.  Will be hard for the Canucks to make something work.  Fitzgerald says his strategy is to build around Hischier/Hughes and have a bunch of players in that age range grow together.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

agreed - if the market is gonna be a seller's market - forget it.

that Coleman deal was prettys steep  - but there'll only be so many affordable (cap) guys - with term, like him available.

perhaps too many buyers, not enough teams eliminated or selling.

maybe a good time to sell AR.

pcikup Thompson maybe...

I'm not that invested either way, really.

do we have a b or c prospect in the system thats from Quebec? that might convince Bergevin :lol:

Maybe the deals today indicate that GMs aren't all that keen on moving core players and if they are the price is going to be very high. Coleman makes a lot of sense for TB tho with that cheapie cap hit, which they need. Not to many 20 goal guys under 2 mil.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD seems to be going full youth movement and it doesn't sound like they are willing to take a veteran with term in return.  Will be hard for the Canucks to make something work.  Fitzgerald says his strategy is to build around Hischier/Hughes and have a bunch of players in that age range grow together.  

I'd be OK with Simmonds for a 3rd, but if it goes up to a 2nd it would have to include Baer back to NJ. Bear's not exactly an old timer so maybe that could work.  I can see him fitting in well there and its not like they're going to have cap issues next year. 

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

Hmm.....maybe we can trade Stecher for a 2nd.

::D

After winning the Cup GM Armstrong was talking about how he thinks size is imperative on D because it makes it so much harder for opponents to get to the scoring areas - he compares having size on D to playing through a car wash.  Stecher doesn't bring high end offence to compensate for his lack size.

Edited by mll
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

After winning the Cup GM Armstrong was talking about how he thinks size is imperative on D because it makes it so much harder for opponents to get to the scoring areas - he compares having size on D to playing through a car wash.  Stecher doesn't bring high end offence to compensate for his lack size.

Andy Greene thread here - ironically.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Agree whole-heartedly with your post.

I'm a big fan of having a giant, bruising, mobile defence corps. The Flying Frenchmen were anchored by Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe (and supported by other big d-men like Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, Rick Chartraw, a young Rod Langway, etc.)...the Islanders dynasty had big players like Denis Potvin, Ken Morrow, Dave Langevin.  

If your small d-man doesn't have the skill set of Quinn Hughes, they need to be replaced with big bruisers who have adequate skating ability.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be OK with Simmonds for a 3rd, but if it goes up to a 2nd it would have to include Baer back to NJ. Bear's not exactly an old timer so maybe that could work.  I can see him fitting in well there and its not like they're going to have cap issues next year. 

He does talk of bridge players if their kids aren't ready.  He also says that for now he has no plans to sign anyone - he was being asked about their UFAs.  It sounds like they will use the rest of the season to evaluate what they need and then make the moves over the summer.  He doesn't think they'll be contenders the next 2 years and have to continue to draft and develop.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Devils made some good moves today. But they're really blowing that team up.

Going for that Edmonton model.  Three 1st overall picks in 4 years baby but hoping Lafrenierre is the McDavid and not the Yakupov for their 3rd first overall pick

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Going for that Edmonton model.  Three 1st overall picks in 4 years baby but hoping Lafrenierre is the McDavid and not the Yakupov for their 3rd first overall pick

I wouldn't say the Devils have done as shameless tanking as the Oilers, they've just been incredibly lucky. They're clearly committed to the tank this year though. 

They've fired their head coach, their general manager, and now have traded their captain. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I wouldn't say the Devils have done as shameless tanking as the Oilers, they've just been incredibly lucky. They're clearly committed to the tank this year though. 

They've fired their head coach, their general manager, and now have traded their captain. 

The last time this happened with them they blatantly tried to win the Lemieux sweepstakes.  

Here's to hoping they win another Muller for their troubles 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Pears said:

Greene right now is nothing more than a bottom pair/depth d man. A few years ago a 2nd would’ve been a fair price but not now. 

You get more than just a bottom pair depth dman with Greene, dudes a leader and great teammate. GMs value good locker room guys alot more than we think. Big reason Beagle got all the money.

• Upvote 1