The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Troy Stecher

I don’t get why Stecher makes this about himself making a mistake. The self flagellation is unnecessary and counterproductive. 

He was the victim of an unnecessary and dangerous hit by Ritchie yet he blames himself? The moronic official gave him a penalty for rightfully questioning the lack of a call, yet Stecher thinks he screwed his team over even though they were being jobbed from the first puck drop. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

As I watch our young core develop, I noticed very early on how Petey's demeanor was different to Bo's. I suggested before they named a Captain that Petey had attributes I would like to see in the next Captain. Imagine Petey's tenacity once he fills out to be like a Sundin or a Forsberg. CDCer's almost lost their mind at the thought of anyone but Bo being our Captain. At the same time, I see Bo acting very similar to Hank, which is understandable as he probably learned most from him. Which is OK, but I really don't want another "gentlemanly" leader in the playoffs. I am still going to try to give Bo the benefit of the doubt and at least give him the opportunity to prove himself in the playoffs, who knows, maybe he has a "beast mode" we have not seen from him yet.

What I really see is maybe the division of those who take their jobs as an NHLer as just that, its a job, or there is the few who take it as a mission to win a Stanley Cup. We see a lot of vets who either choose to play for their families and stay put, or, we see those that chase the Cup and want to win at any cost. This may include getting traded to another team.

At this point, I am just happy to see a hard fought game and if the team comes out flat, somebody in the leadership group stepping up to the plate. I don't think its too much to ask of our team but I hear so many CDCers more then willing to provide excuses for these guys as to why they could not perform on a certain night.

Skate hard a little, hit a little, and like you said, good things will come.

With all due respect, you are confusing drive/compete with leadership. They are different things with very different responsibilities. The bare minimum for leaders is that they volunteer A LOT MORE of their personal times to support the organization, the team and the community. The Sedins are VERY HAPPY that they do not have to be leaders anymore. 

The Sedins were in a sense timid, but they were willing to sacrifice their time to be leaders. They put in countless weekends and evenings. My favourite Canuck Ryan Kesler may not have been willing to put in the time to be the captain. 

Edited by Maddogy

4 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The more likely scenario is that a lot of player decisions are postponed until the end of playoffs. Then the organization would reassess the players and make decisions accordingly. 

I don’t think so. Benning sees that the team desperately needs some heft to their game. I don’t see him sitting tight thinking that the aforementioned players will make a lickspit of a difference to their playoff hopes. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t think so. Benning sees that the team desperately needs some heft to their game. I don’t see him sitting tight thinking that the aforementioned players will make a lickspit of a difference to their playoff hopes. 

You may be right. Nonethless, J.B. is a plan type of guy. He would not wing it. He set the target for this organization at the start of the season to make the playoffs. He never promised a division title. He indicated that he foresees an older team to contend for the Cup. He indicated several times that they have a longer term plan for the cap structure. Everything points to making the playoffs and then move on to the future. At this point the Canucks are much more likely than not to make the playoffs. If J.B. makes a trade before Monday it is likely to be a hockey trade for somebody in their 20's not 30's. 

Edited by Maddogy

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

With all due respect, you are confusing drive/compete with leadership. They are different things with very different responsibilities. The bare minimum for leaders is that they volunteer A LOT MORE of their personal times to support the organization, the team and the community. The Sedins are VERY HAPPY that they do not have to be leaders anymore. 

I am not sure there is confusion, Leaders come with many attributes and you are describing only one part of being a leader, OFF-ICE. How about the ON-ICE leadership. How about leading your team in a championship? If you look at most of the successful teams they have a leader(Captain) who is able to "lead by example" and inspire or get the troops to buy into a system of going to war and sticking up for each other in the process. Going to shake hands with the public is nice but I prefer to see what they can do ON THE ICE. If we needed some one to represent in the community we could have thrown the "C" on Lui Ericksson. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

You may be right. Nonethless, J.B. is a plan type of guy. He would not wing it. He set the target for this organization at the start of the season to make the playoffs.

He’s made both calculated and impulsive trades since coming here so that’s not exactly true. That being said, I’m sure he’s had his eye on a few players for sometime. 

He never promised a division title. He indicated that he foresees an older team to contend for the Cup. He indicated several times that they have a longer term plan for the cap structure.

Sure. The goal is the ultimate one, and he’s already tasted that with Boston so he knows what it takes. He can’t be looking at the team presently constructed and think that they’ll fare well. He also doesn’t want his young elite players to be injured in the process, so I believe he’ll make a move to acquire players with time left on their contracts versus rentals. 

Everything points to making the playoffs and then move on to the future. At this point the Canucks are much more likely than not to make the playoffs. If J.B. makes a trade before Monday it is likely to be a hockey trade for somebody in their 20's not 30's. 

He’ll want to ensure that the team has some warriors to prepare for the gruelling campaign that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are. I’d hope that he’d also have word with the leadership group to determine where their heads are at, as they’ve been awfully quiet at a time where they shouldn’t be. 

15 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The Sedins were in a sense timid, but they were willing to sacrifice their time to be leaders. They put in countless weekends and evenings. My favourite Canuck Ryan Kesler may not have been willing to put in the time to be the captain. 

Sorry, but what the “leaders” do off the ice, has literally no impact to what they do on it. It’s great to be community oriented. Truly. That being said, it doesn’t factor into how the team performs. 

• Like 3

Just now, Duodenum said:

Then people get mad when I say guys like Schaller are useless out there and bring nothing. Being out hit by Pettersson should embarass our 4th liners.

Who got mad at you for saying that? Schaller’s mom?

The guy is a floater. His inconsistent play isn’t cutting it. Hopefully Benning gets rid of him at the deadline. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Or playing Demko gives Markstrom a much needed rest after a 49 save performance and a couple days rest. While getting Demko some needed ice time. You don't always play the hot hand tired cliche is tired. 

Not a clueless move and to suggest so is a clueless move as you are not in the locker room talking to Markstrom and Ian Clark to definitively call it a clueless move. 

Did Demko play well ? Nope

Did we lose ? Yup 

Marky is paid to play and had plenty of time off and had days off after the game. Marky has said multiple times he loves to be the workhorse 

is it worth risking 2 points at this time of tge season? Nope 

did we fall out of first? Yup 

great decision? Nope 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 1

It's amazing how many deadweight players we continue to have on our team.

Eriksson, Schaller, Benn, among other players like Roussel who don't seem to be bringing it every game. Roussel when he's doing what he does best can actually be really useful, so his leash is longer ( or looser)?

Beagle is another guy. Solid penalty killer, can win faceoffs, absolutely nothing after that. Great character guy, but this guy can't even carry the puck for 30ft without fumbling or dumping it. 

Miller/Petey/Boeser

Pearson/Horvat/Virtanen

Roussel/Gaudette/Leivo

Motte/Sutter/MacEwen

Beagle

Or

Roussel/Sutter/Gaudette

Motte/Beagle/MacEwen

Leivo

This is the line-up I'd like to preferably ice, when 100% healthy. Preferably stand pat the deadline unless you can get rid of those deadweights and/or acquire a meatty forward.

• Upvote 1

Green’s press conference response to the game was disgusting 

just shrugs his shoulders, um was just bad luck in the first and we played a great second (is he delusional?) then we got got trying to press in the third 

excuses excuses excuses 

just rationalizes losing and actually accepts it. It’s pathetic. The clown is implementing a losing acceptance culture 

• Wat 3

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. The better team won. The Canucks came out soft, aside from Pettersson, MacEwen, and Myers. The leadership group, whoever that is, needs to find a pulse and stand up for the team. 

Sorry but can't agree with you at all. Sure some guys could have been better, but overall we were playing better than them and it showed if u take out the officiating and the score 

Unlucky bounce of Troy... Put us behind the 8 ball early but overall we outplayed them. 

Bunch of posts could have gone the other way... 

I see 0 alarming aspect from that game other than the refs showing incompetence but that's nothing new. WWE refs and NHL refs are the same level if u ask me. 

12 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

just shrugs his shoulders, um was just bad luck in the first and we played a great second (is he delusional?) then we got got trying to press in the third 

excuses excuses excuses 

just rationalizes losing and actually accepts it. It’s pathetic. The clown is implementing a losing acceptance culture 

What is said to the media isn't the same thing that is being said in the locker room. You're absolutely clueless to think otherwise... 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who got mad at you for saying that? Schaller’s mom?

The guy is a floater. His inconsistent play isn’t cutting it. Hopefully Benning gets rid of him at the deadline. 

At the very worst, he's gone after this season.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

excuses excuses excuses 

He's right. You should rethink your emotions. You don't win 82 games in a row and then 16 in a row in the playoffs. 

You're allowed to lose games to bad bounces, bad officiating, or bad performances. 

The boys performance wasn't really at fault. 

He's a phenomenal coach. I'm sure he had them shrug it off and prepare for the next game. 

It's all about the next game. The next game will always be the biggest game of the year. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:That hit by Manson on Myers should have resulted in a misconduct but yet, once again, they get away with what’s normally called. 
Green did a recent interview with Ben Kuzma where he talked about reading the temperature on the ice. Talked about how he understands that officials have a hard job. How he can sit there and say that when his team has gotten jobbed numerous times is beyond me. 

As well, since the ASG break, Pettersson is second only to Miller in hits. Why are those two setting the tone physically? What is Bo doing? 

Big credit to Myers for stepping up for Pettersson. He did well, considering he was mugged afterwards. 

Pretty much yes to all this.  Especially what Green says about reading the temperature on the ice and how to respond/the officiating.  It's hard not to be a homer and complain about missed calls BUT it's a two way street.  I've also seen some pretty vicious cross-checks by Myers into the corners that haven't been called - because the officials didn't see or notice it.  Three times this season so far.   We also get away with things.  There is no "conspiracy".   Sometimes the officials are harder on the away team.   Sometimes they are not.  One thing our skilled guys - especially EP have managed all season is draw a butt ton of penalties.   These penalties sometimes decide games too. 

I don't think we are a soft team in general.  Factually we've fought back harder the last few weeks 

then we have in years.   Hockey is a lot different then it was even during the Sedin hay days.   The majority of the new crop hasn't figured things out yet and maybe expects the league to take care of them.  Never ever will happen (the league completely enforcing this game).  

Used to be fringe guys used to have to literally fight their way into the league.  That's gone too for the most part - because the enforcer left when they were kids - and when they were kids participating meant a trophy and a job well done.  Sickens me in the stomach to compare eras.   Think every team in this league wouldn't get past a seven game series against any contender ten plus years ago but it is what it is. Because they would physically destroy them. 

Read a lot of BS on this site about coaching beating the toughness out of this team like that's the "why".   Only Boston is holding on to the past - which I guarantee will change in a year or two after Chara hangs them up.   TG played the game in a way tougher era - where pretty much every player including most of the skilled ones would drop the gloves on occasion - and back when a real power forward actually existed.   Who's Wendel Clark, Shanny, Stevens, Nealy, Tochett  now?   Wilson would be ok back then but still wouldn't make the cut.   Sucks.  It really really does suck.

Faster and parity is the new jingle and glow.  But the league has also lost something by going that way, and I'm not sure it's ever coming back. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Sorry but can't agree with you at all.

Of course not. 

Sure some guys could have been better, but overall we were playing better than them and it showed if u take out the officiating and the score

Yeah the officiating and the score are pretty intrinsic to the game. A lot of guys could have been better. The PP and PK are slipping as well. There are issues that need to be addressed. 

Unlucky bounce of Troy... Put us behind the 8 ball early but overall we outplayed them. 

Bunch of posts could have gone the other way... 

I see 0 alarming aspect from that game other than the refs showing incompetence but that's nothing new. WWE refs and NHL refs are the same level if u ask me. 

The officiating is absolute garbage. The team has to sadly endure it though. They need certain players to show up when the physicality ramps up. 

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s made both calculated and impulsive trades since coming here so that’s not exactly true. That being said, I’m sure he’s had his eye on a few players for sometime. 

Sure. The goal is the ultimate one, and he’s already tasted that with Boston so he knows what it takes. He can’t be looking at the team presently constructed and think that they’ll fare well. He also doesn’t want his young elite players to be injured in the process, so I believe he’ll make a move to acquire players with time left on their contracts versus rentals. 

He’ll want to ensure that the team has some warriors to prepare for the gruelling campaign that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are. I’d hope that he’d also have word with the leadership group to determine where their heads are at, as they’ve been awfully quiet at a time where they shouldn’t be. 

Greasin' the palms of Buttman, Campbell and NHL Board of Directors! :lol:

Seemed appropriate. 

• Haha 1