The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think that Jake brings some good elements to the team, but I just dont think he can provide what Brock does to the top line.   This trade is proof.  If they thought Jake was a viable option they wouldnt have coughed up all those assets to get a replacement for Brock.  Sure enough ...this morning Toffoli is practicing with Miller and EP...Jake is back down to the third line.  Would have been easy enough to pair Toffoli with his old buddy Pearson and Bo, and keep Jake on the first wouldnt it?

It’s more Green likes the Horvats line with Eriksson and doesn’t want to change it yet then Jake Virtanen Imo 

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s more Green likes the Horvats line with Eriksson and doesn’t want to change it yet then Jake Virtanen Imo 

If thats the case then, they could have just kept Jake on the top line and not spent all the assets to get a replacement for Brock.  Im not trying to take away from Jake here, im just trying to infer what management is thinking.  They dont think that Jake is suited for that top line. Stawns seems to think he is a play driver an a superior option to Brock...if that was the case I dont see this trade happening.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Who was he going to supplant on the wing?

Who knows.  Pearson is up soon.  It's not like we have a pile of good wingers aside from Miller, Pearson,  BB and maybe JV.   LE, Schaller, Leivo, Ferland, Sutter (playing on the fourth line as a winger for 4.25 or wherever), the list is pretty long.   Guess we won't know for a year or two right? 

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Gaudette/Roos dont seem like they can drive that line on their own- Jake really helps with generating offense for them

Back in the BB re-signing threads, posters were saying BB can drive play.  If he can, he should play on the 3rd line with Gaudette and Roussel.

Miller Petey Virtanen

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette BB

3 good scoring lines.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

I'm guessing the lines will look like this tomorrow:

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwan

Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter

Perhaps MacEwan and Virtanen will switch depending on which Jake shows up.

I'd say Jake has been one of the most consistent fwds this season.....it's just that doesn't fit the narrative of what people have believed about him until this season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

If thats the case then, they could have just kept Jake on the top line and not spent all the assets to get a replacement for Brock.  Im not trying to take away from Jake here, im just trying to infer what management is thinking.  They dont think that Jake is suited for that top line. Stawns seems to think he is a play driver an a superior option to Brock...if that was the case I dont see this trade happening.

Yeah he’s not a superior replacement for Boeser but he’s really turned into a quality player. You need 3 scoring lines these days and Virtanen just balances that being on the third. The lines will change again but that’s what I see for now 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Back in the BB re-signing threads, posters were saying BB can drive play.  If he can, he should play on the 3rd line with Gaudette and Roussel.

Miller Petey Virtanen

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette BB

3 good scoring lines.

BB is young and we don't really know what we have in him yet - but given the sample size he's way ahead of JV at the same age.  At least now he has some competition- maybe enough to get him back to where he was his first year.   Nothing motivates better then a fire under your ass because peers might take your job.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah he’s not a superior replacement for Boeser but he’s really turned into a quality player. You need 3 scoring lines these days and Virtanen just balances that being on the third. The lines will change again but that’s what I see for now 

dont disagree....

hes taken a big step forward this year and he could give us 3 really effective lines with different strong points...

59 minutes ago, mll said:

+ some 1.7M less because of the bonus overage.  Canucks will stay in LTIR to finish the season so they can't bank cap space.  

Virtanen is 2 years to free agency and has arbitration rights - his agent is far better off filing if that is all you are willing to offer him. He already has 16 goals on the season playing just 13 minutes per game.  Teams can't walk away if the award is just under circa 4.4M.  

Ya this Virtanen situation could be a sticky one. I'd be hesitant giving him a big long term contract.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think it would be more like Marky 5-6, Tanev 5, Toffoli 5.5, Virtanen 3.5 , Gaudette 1.5, we will need to move some cap out. 

By my estimate Canucks needs to move out about 5 million in cap space. Either Eriksson, or Sven and another 3 million dollar player (Sutter/Roussell).

Not sure what we'd give up to.get rid of Eriksson. Or even Baertschi. Might have to be Sutter & Roussel. Or else just letting one of the big names walk 

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It depends on what you value.  I consider Jake a superior all around player than Boeser, with far more versatility.  Boes might provide more offense, but Jake is putting up comparable numbers this season.  

12 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Do you think that was an overpayment?

I will answer this.   No way we make this trade if BB and Leivo are healthy and producing even at 75% of their norm for this season.  

It is what it is - about the canucks trying to make the playoffs.   The odds just went up - maybe considerably.  Toffoli is playing for a contract and he's going to play 120% from the moment he puts his new jersey on.    JB has made some move/picks in the past that I definitely wasn't a fan of - if we can't afford Toffoli or he goes somewhere else this summer - to me it's a wash IF make the playoffs and IF he contributes to it.   Management is trying to do what ownership wants.   Ultimately that's winning a cup.  This will only bite us in the ass if Madden plays like his Dad and we don't re-sign him (Toffoli - and if it turns out poorly afterwards).    Lots of variables we won't know who won this trade for some time yet.

As far as overpayment goes it was LAs best offer - and a lot of teams were interested.  So yes we paid the most from LAs viewpoint they got their man and you can gaurantee they did their research. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

BB is young and we don't really know what we have in him yet - but given the sample size he's way ahead of JV at the same age.  At least now he has some competition- maybe enough to get him back to where he was his first year.   Nothing motivates better then a fire under your ass because peers might take your job.  

They're only a year apart and their numbers aren't far off this season.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya this Virtanen situation could be a sticky one. I'd be hesitant giving him a big long term contract.

Not sure what we'd give up to.get rid of Eriksson. Or even Baertschi. Might have to be Sutter & Roussel. Or else just letting one of the big names walk 

Virtanen will proabably need some money, doesnt necessarily have to be long term. He was on a show me contract and might score 20 goals with steady improvement from year to year. 20 goals should get you 3 mil at least, if his agent does his job. 

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jake is still RFA, he's not getting a long term or high AAV.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m hoping Tofu is only a rental.  I don’t think paying him 5 mil plus over a 4 or 5 year term at his age, is wise for us going forward.  I like the trade though, just don’t want to keep him long term. 

Why don't we see how he gels with the group before making decisions on players? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1