The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

44 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I wonder if JB trades tanev for a pick after the season finishes. Clear up salary. Recoup a top round pick. 

Or

Package tanev with loui as a salary dump to resign toffgoali

isn't Tanev a FA

the going rate for "negotiating rights" was a 4th last I recall

2 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Why don't we see how he gels with the group before making decisions on players? 

Tofu will fit in nicely and do well.  I have no question about his doing well here.  It’s about my not wanting him to be extended after this season.  

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

oh ya every team has a top 6 just waiting around ,  so again with brock, ferland and leivo out  (  top six depth) ,you rather not chase a playoff spot ?   throw all that hard work away   because you don't want to trade a 2nd and 3rd (madden ) ,    so what is more upsetting missing the playoffs or a 2nd pick  and 150lb center ?  a real fan would say playoffs  

plus JB has built a prospect pool   so we can afford to take a year off drafting , hoglander next year and then podi the following year , young players will still be flowing into the lineup  

Top 6 ferland leivo? This trade is desperate stupid trade....and won’t change this season....Canucks will make the playoffs reguardless...imo....and this trade will not change any out come.

selling future for a rental it’s just dumb.....just to plz stupid fairweather fans.

keep Jimbo off the phone.....only have Jimbo at the draft...but we got a day and a half of zero picks so Jimbo can sleepin til late Saturday draft day....this was a bad trade.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jake is still RFA, he's not getting a long term or high AAV.

He is 2 years to free agency and has arbitration rights.  His agent will likely file to improve their leverage that close to free agency.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It depends on what you value.  I consider Jake a superior all around player than Boeser, with far more versatility.  Boes might provide more offense, but Jake is putting up comparable numbers this season.  

Jake just started to play better this year after being in the line up for 5 years Boeser is in his third year, he according to everyone on here is having a down year due to circumstances. Jake has 32 points Boeser has 45 Boeser is a pure goal scorer Jake is not.  don't get me wrong Jake has come a long way but he still floats a lot.  Jake played awesome on the third line he got most of his points on that line and the pp2.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're only a year apart and their numbers aren't far off this season.

What about the other two/three years?  Was JV an All-Star MVP as a rookie (check out how many times that's happened).   Sometimes I have to sigh at how much things go back and forth on this site - a lot of "what have you done lately " stuff.  I'm stoked JV is doing better this season - it is a contract year for him and I'm sure he's giving his best.  Not sure what his "best" will look like next year though.  Is he really better then BB?  Possibly.   BB hasn't played the same way this season often.  Seems lost at times.   Still for most of the season was ranked #4 in scoring for R wingers.  Do you really think JV would be able to do that with the same opportunities?  I don't.   At least not yet. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, mll said:

He is 2 years to free agency and has arbitration rights.  His agent will likely file to improve their leverage that close to free agency.

I would say the numbers don't favour him in arbitration and if he goes that route, it's actually good for the org because it's usually a one year deal is it not?  That keeps him at RFA status for another contract.

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

A good deal could be Dumba, Greenway and their 1rst for some combination of BB, Stecher, Demko or Tanev. .. BB, Demko and Tanev would open up a fair amount of cap space.

This means that they will be going with Markstrom and Demko is possibly not the goalie of the future so he should be available.

24 hours after the trade it is not such a bad deal, in fact it is actually pretty good the issue I have is if this means the rebuild is dead. Not that he did much in that area but the team is still old and lacking young players.

Minny ain't giving up a first this year. Ownership and management might want playoffs but he is selling if players aren't preforming. Boeser becomes best player since Gaborik imo. Parise is good but never lived up to his contact. Best year in minny was like 62 or something points iirc. Boeser best was 56 at 21. More to stats maybe someone can compare advanced stats but also being a home town kid in minny which is a small market would be huge imo. Leaves a big hole on the first line though because let's be honest neither Toffoli, or Virtanen are 1st wingers. 

I think we got 20m in cap space to sign virtanen, markstrom, toffoli and Tanev. 

Toffoli 3years 12m

Markstrom 5years 27.5m

Virtanen 3years for 10m

Tanev 2year 6.5

Stretcher 2years 2m

Should leave room for Tryamkin to. Ferland career might be done so gives us an extra 3million. So sad because he is a playoff player that we need badly. 

Just now, IBatch said:

What about the other two/three years?  Was JV an All-Star MVP as a rookie (check out how many times that's happened).   Sometimes I have to sigh at how much things go back and forth on this site - a lot of "what have you done lately " stuff.  I'm stoked JV is doing better this season - it is a contract year for him and I'm sure he's giving his best.  Not sure what his "best" will look like next year though.  Is he really better then BB?  Possibly.   BB hasn't played the same way this season often.  Seems lost at times.   Still for most of the season was ranked #4 in scoring for R wingers.  Do you really think JV would be able to do that with the same opportunities?  I don't.   At least not yet. 

He didn't play that way for a good chunk of last season either.  He'll probably always put up good numbers, but the game is far more than that.

I've been saying Jake is more effective than BB, overall, for well over a season now.

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Minny ain't giving up a first this year. Ownership and management might want playoffs but he is selling if players aren't preforming. Boeser becomes best player since Gaborik imo. Parise is good but never lived up to his contact. Best year in minny was like 62 or something points iirc. Boeser best was 56 at 21. More to stats maybe someone can compare advanced stats but also being a home town kid in minny which is a small market would be huge imo. Leaves a big hole on the first line though because let's be honest neither Toffoli, or Virtanen are 1st wingers. 

Toffoli 3years 12m

Markstrom 5years 27.5m

Virtanen 3years for 10m

Tanev 2year 6.5

Stretcher 2years 2m

Should leave room for Tryamkin to. Ferland career might be done so gives us an extra 3million. So sad because he is a playoff player that we need badly. 

I don't see Minny as a good trading partner in a Boes deal. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tofu will fit in nicely and do well.  I have no question about his doing well here.  It’s about my not wanting him to be extended after this season.  

Why not?  A proven goal scorer who has already won a Cup, in his prime years?  It would be different if he was in his 30s now, but he isn't. 3 or 4 years would be just fine by me.  6 would be too many.

5 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Toffoli 3years 12m

Markstrom 5years 27.5m

Virtanen 3years for 10m

Tanev 2year 6.5

Stretcher 2years 2m

Toffoli makes $4.6M now.  I doubt he's willing to take a pay cut in his prime years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I would say the numbers don't favour him in arbitration and if he goes that route, it's actually good for the org because it's usually a one year deal is it not?  That keeps him at RFA status for another contract.

16 goals and counting with only 13 minutes of ice time.  If the player files the team can elect 1 or 2 years, but here it would be 1 year because 2 would bring him to free agency.  The following year he would then be up at the same time as Pettersson/Hughes.  He would then be 1 year to free agency and will still have arbitration rights.   

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Why not?  A proven goal scorer who has already won a Cup, in his prime years?  It would be different if he was in his 30s now, but he isn't. 3 or 4 years would be just fine by me.  6 would be too many.

Because we don’t have cap room, and Marky and Tanev are more important.  Bess is better than Tofu.  When Bess is back we don’t need Tofu.  We absolutely need Marky and Tanev, don’t you think? 

1 minute ago, mll said:

16 goals and counting with only 13 minutes of ice time.  If the player files the team can elect 1 or 2 years, but here it would be 1 year because 2 would bring him to free agency.  The following year he would then be up at the same time as Pettersson/Hughes.  He would then be 1 year to free agency and will still have arbitration rights.   

Might have to trade Jake this summer for futures?  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

No argument here, but they'll look at more than this season.