The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We have a great young core and their development (playoffs included) is vitally important to the future....not just the picks that may/may not pan out.  The cost of doing business.

I don't think you understand that their confidence is a huge thing to consider right now...missing last year's playoffs wasn't fun for them and they want to be there.  They deserve every opportunity for that and the thinking that overlooks their needs is kind of disheartening.  The grass is always greener with some of the fans.

I love that JB is trying to surround this team with .... pieces for success.  Not saving for down the road.  Will we ever get anyone better than Petey and Quinn?  Very doubtful.  So you have to "build" around them, not in spite of them.

I understand the sentiment Deb and could agree... except Petey and Hughes aren't at the end of their careers (ala Sedins).  They're professional hockey players and another year without the playoffs won't actually hurt them that much.  I'd rather look three years down the road when they are in their prime.  We longer have the option of Madden or a second round pick anymore in their futures.  Would you rather have Toffoli for 24 games plus a few in the playoffs (I don't think he'll impact our playoff chances one way or the other very much) or a Gaudette (Madden isn't Gaudette... he's lighter (con) and more skilled (pro) at the same PPG as Gaudette) and a Hoglander (if we draft well... this is a deep draft) in our prospect pool.

As a Canucks fan for about 35 years, I take the long sustainable view and choose Madden and a second everytime over a rental who really is a fringe second liner (doesn't drive play) for 24 plus a few... unfortunately our management agrees with your point of view and wants things now.  That is not a rebuild!  Man... I hate this trade...

I get the sentiment and the meaning behind it, but it is so short sighted (focus on this year) and short term... in other words, we would be better overall and in the future without this trade.

But, I respect your opinion...

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. When he was moved to the 1st line, the 3rd line lost its momentum. If Jake does that consistently, he'll make pretty much any line better. 

For me, that's what tells me that Jake is more of an impact player than BB is.  I have no issue with BB, but he's easy to neutralize and he also will bring back a very good return if they move him.

Numbers only tell one part of the story.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, some thoughts here...

1) what does our organization need the most at this point?

- I would argue Playoff exoperience (miller, Pearson, taffoli, Myers, Beagle) great veteran pick ups with cups and or/lots of playoff experience

- helps players grow and makes us better even int he regular season, Bo said he learnt a ton in only 1 series against Calgary and made him a better player

- good for moral of players and front office

2) Judd Bracket allows us to do this

- Madden is a 3rd round pick, who would be a 1st in a re-draft. Thank you Judd!!!!

3) Cupboard is still pretty full

C's- Jasek, Karlsson, focht (yes less depth here now but we will probably draft a C now)

Wings- Podz, Hogz, McDonut, Lind Gadjo, Macewen

D- OJ, Woo, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Breezer, Rafferty, Chattefield

G- MDP, Silvos

not bad depth and yes, aware we were now missing a 1st and 2nd. I am sure if they really need to Stecher can get a 2nd and 3rd and they would probably lose him in expansion, plus they have Tryamkin coming back, and good AHL depth.

Jb is not losing his job even if he didn't make that deal for Toffoli. What gm in there right mind would get fired after drafting 3 calder finalists the last  3 years in a row. Fans are mad at jb for getting us a top 6 right winger. Now extending him in the off season will really tell us about this trade. Would love to keep TT going forward. 

Edited by rotiman187

11 minutes ago, jammin_jk said:

I understand the sentiment Deb and could agree... except Petey and Hughes aren't at the end of their careers (ala Sedins).  They're professional hockey players and another year without the playoffs won't actually hurt them that much.  I'd rather look three years down the road when they are in their prime.  We longer have the option of Madden or a second round pick anymore in their futures.  Would you rather have Toffoli for 24 games plus a few in the playoffs (I don't think he'll impact our playoff chances one way or the other very much) or a Gaudette (Madden isn't Gaudette... he's lighter (con) and more skilled (pro) at the same PPG as Gaudette) and a Hoglander (if we draft well... this is a deep draft) in our prospect pool.

As a Canucks fan for about 35 years, I take the long sustainable view and choose Madden and a second everytime over a rental who really is a fringe second liner (doesn't drive play) for 24 plus a few... unfortunately our management agrees with your point of view and wants things now.  That is not a rebuild!  Man... I hate this trade...

I get the sentiment and the meaning behind it, but it is so short sighted (focus on this year) and short term... in other words, we would be better overall and in the future without this trade.

But, I respect your opinion...

They just had a brief interview clip with Petey....it will hurt him and his confidence a great deal.  He wants this, bad.

We have to focus on the here and now...not just "down the road".  You compromise this roster by ignoring what's needed as a result of injuries and some depletion that needs to be addressed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

I don't worry about cap, I leave that to JB. 

Boes is better, if he can get back to form.  He's had a tough year, and I'm not giving up on him, but if his struggles continue next year, I would argue he isn't better than TT.

Good call.... nobody know his plans after all...

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Tre

cmon man...you smarterer than this.

we are down leivo, boeser, and ferland.

if anything TT doesn’t even bring the roster back to square.  How is this in any way JB’s fault?  How is he saving jobs by trying to fill a void made by injuries to key pieces?

How on earth did you get that from my post?  Team misses the playoffs and Benning is fired, I'll put this account on that.  He did this trade to save his job first and foremost.  Injuries are not his fault but missing the playoffs all these years is on him and no way JB's job is safe if they miss the playoffs, are up against the cap and have no early round picks in the coming draft.  Like how is that even remotely debatable?  Did we get new ownership over the weekend?  Luckily for you and him it'll be moot because they'll make it.  

you smarterer than this.

Typo I hope:bigblush: 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

They just had a brief interview clip with Petey....it will hurt him and his confidence a great deal.  He wants this, bad.

No guarantees we get into the playoffs, even with getting Tofu.  We really haven’t played well for quite a while now.  Still thinking Green might be out sooner rather than later.  JB seems to have lost patience, and wants his team competing for the playoffs and getting in.  

Just now, the grinder said:

but we already have gaudette and hoglander  so we really don't need madden then  or a 2nd  , JB is looking down the road already  he sees hoglander podi  lind big mack in the forward group  , rathibone woo jouelevi raferty  and big nick  on the back end  plus others   ,   so I don't get this short sighted focus  . JB thought a smallish center doesn't fit  in his long term plans  that's thinking ahead 

Hoglander is a winger, and one that needs lots more development time.  

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, that's what tells me that Jake is more of an impact player than BB is.  I have no issue with BB, but he's easy to neutralize and he also will bring back a very good return if they move him.

one point in his last 7 games....including lots of time on the top iine in BBs absence.

neutralize you say?

Jake is a solid player, hes not a top line winger though.  Not at this point.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, the grinder said:

but we already have gaudette and hoglander  so we really don't need madden then  or a 2nd  , JB is looking down the road already  he sees hoglander podi  lind big mack in the forward group  , rathibone woo jouelevi raferty  and big nick  on the back end  plus others   ,   so I don't get this short sighted focus  . JB thought a smallish center doesn't fit  in his long term plans  that's thinking ahead 

The small part is huge to me.  We have no more room for small guys....we need more size if anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Me as well. I have no issues with Brock. I want him to become the best player he can be, and he's shown that he has elite potential. He's only 22 and we just need him to be healthy on a consistent basis. 

As far as Jake goes, I really like what he can bring, and does bring to the table most nights. But he too, has to bring that consistently. And when he does, he is a dominating type player. Points aren't everything, agreed. There's a hell of a lot more that goes into making an effective player than simply points. 

I think JB did a great job as Fer and Brock are out

plus instant chemistry for Bo with TT and Tanner

we now have two good lines and should make the playoffs.

If we do not resign him then at the draft we could get something back so I am ok with this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1