The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

People saying this is a desperation move by JB to save his job are, imo, wrong. The safest thing for him to do in the interest of his job would be to avoid risk . This is a risky deal and if it goes poorly will be more damaging to his security than not making the deal at all. My initial reaction is similar to the MIller deal : feels risky but could also turn out to be a good add. I also have a gut feeling an extension will be forthcoming.

• Cheers 3

No reason Toffoli wouldn't sign in Van unless his desire his max dollar max term.

Guy is entering his prime, probably wants another chance at the cup, Kings are obviously about to rebuild. 

We're not there yet but we're close.

Can't see why he wouldnt consider it.

Edited by Tystick
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Completely useless fact....Bure had 31 in 1994. He was so good!

Was bure a secondary scorer in 94? 

kopitar carter gaborik doughty williams had better stats in 2014 but thats just 5 guys. You cant win the cup with 5 guys it has to be a team effort

The price is high. But with Boeser out minimum 4 more weeks and likely more JB had to make a move.

Ohh boy looks like Ferland out for the year. JB not done. He'll have to make another trade. Simmonds still good possibility or another guy who can play the heavy physical game. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've been saying for awhile that Boes is the odd man out and would possibly be dealt at the draft.  This move only makes me think that is a much stronger possibility.

Boeser will be out for about another 3 weeks , he has a fractured rib, Ferland is shut down for the season as per Benning.  Benning has said numerous time that Boeser is part of the core going forward, why would he trade him?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Grape said:

I think he was being hyperbolic.

As I said, two months ago no one wanted to celebrate the possibility of trading for Madden for Toffoli straight up. Now everyone is celebrating it.

I'm not taking a side, I'm just pointing out the groupthink both then and now. There's not much original thought anymore. Just whoever was the Canucks then (Madden) and whoever is the Canuck (now) has the higher value. As a result it's hard to gauge what people really think.

20 goals, on a bottom feeder defensive team, by the deadline changes things.  To say nothing of injuries and their place in the standings.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

How much more losing can you stomach? Like, I just made a post on how if you don’t make trades like this to support your drafted core players you play a dangerous game and become the Edmonton Oilers or Buffalo Sabres. Like, I just don’t understand how fans can have this wait and see approach with building a hockey team strictly through the draft. It is a dangerous gamble with low odds. 

I hate Edmonton more than most but last time I checked they have won more playoff rounds than Van since 2012.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Done for season; possibly might have to call it a career.

Really glad they aren't even going to try again this season. I think there's a really high chance that he's done permanently, but time will tell. Sucks for him, but he needs to think about his long-term health for his family as well. He has young kids who need him around without a completely scrambled brain.

• Cheers 2