The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

What was Madden's path to the NHL?  He's not beating out Bo, Petey or AG.......wouldnt you agree?  He'd also have a very tough time getting by Jasek, who is a great fit for the bottom 6 in a year, maybe two.  There simply wasn't a place for Madden down the middle

Well, they could’ve move Gaudette or Pettersson to the wing. A lot of good players benefit from moving to the wing (Lindholm, Forsberg, Giroux, Benn, Seguin, Schenn, ect).

I was always adamant of moving Peter to the wing, where he can be the most productive and not worry about the defensive side of game. Not that he’s bad in his own end, but there are times where he looks completely lost or where he loses his man out there.

Edited by shiznak

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

To say no one would celebrate Madden for Toffoli based on just a reddit post is foolish at best. 

I meant that no one was celebrating it from that post. Which is factually true. No one was celebrating that thought 51 days ago.

I'm sure there are people who would've celebrated it 51 days ago, just like how there's people now who aren't celebrating it. But I'm taking about the majority. The majority clearly didn't like the trade proposal back then, and like the trade now. It's groupthink.

Again, it doesn't make the trade bad, it just makes sports fans and large public groups in general confusing bunches to decipher lol

Edited by Grape
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

No reason Toffoli wouldn't sign in Van unless his desire his max dollar max term.

Guy is entering his prime, probably wants another chance at the cup, Kings are obviously about to rebuild. 

We're not there yet but we're close.

Can't see why he wouldnt consider it.

dont forget his good buddy tanner pearson plays for us 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You're making me think that you don't fully understand how LTIR works. Basically, the 3.5 million does not exist unless / until Ferland resumes his career.

In a really odd way, having someone on LTIR, actually gives the team more flexibility. Its weird, but its also why Toronto re-acquired David Clarkson last summer when he will never play another game in the NHL. They wanted the LTIR.

Using LTIR makes it impossible to cover performance bonuses (Pettersson and Hughes), which means they will count against the cap next year. That's not a good thing. 

Just now, The.Burrowers said:

you call out my post cause you don't get the reference, I explain the reference, all of a sudden not interested..... ya, im the lazy one here!

Got you to typeout a full and complete post.

My job is done here. :)

• Haha 3

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

So Rantanen left tonite, after crashing into the end boards(looked Shoulder, & pretty harsh). Kadri already out

Tuch of LV looked bad, last wknd.

Lots of key fwds are dropping. Might've been sharp to buy, pronto. Prices may well be rising.

It did feel ripe now.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

We are about to get slaughtered by Vegas.

We fell to third in the Pacific tonight.  We could easily be out of a playoff spot by this time next week.  If JB wanted to help the team he should have fired ?Green and brought in Gallant or Babcock.  And that doesn’t cost the future. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 5

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

So Rantanen left tonite, after crashing into the end boards(looked Shoulder, & pretty harsh). Kadri already out

Lots of key fwds are dropping. Might've been sharp to buy, pronto. Prices may well be rising.

I don't like the trade but I do prefer buying early. Typically prices are lower and it gives players more time to adjust.

6 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

My wife, who has become a pretty big hockey nut, still isn't a big enough nut to follow other teams. So she doesn't know who Tyler Toffoli is.

Well, when I saw the trade, I yelled out "BABE, WE GOT TYLER TOFFOLI!".... she said.... "What? I'm not tired of Chipotle".

So we got Chipotle tonight for dinner and then I explained to her, over dinner, who Tyler Toffoli is.

I will forever hear Shorthouse calling Chipolte's name during the broadcasts.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You're making me think that you don't fully understand how LTIR works. Basically, the 3.5 million does not exist unless / until Ferland resumes his career.

In a really odd way, having someone on LTIR, actually gives the team more flexibility. Its weird, but its also why Toronto re-acquired David Clarkson last summer when he will never play another game in the NHL. They wanted the LTIR.

Yes and no.

If we have to use LTIR over and above the cap limit, then it means we are not banking any cap space for performance bonuses. And these bonuses may be quite large this year and next year. This means if Ferland remains on LTIR it will absolutely affect the Canucks and our cap situation.

Once you are over the cap limit and into LTIR then it doesn't really matter how far over you are on LTIR. For example, TOR didn't necessarily want more LTIR but since they were already over they could take some assets from another team along with the additional player on LTIR.

So LTIR does have a negative effect on paying for performance bonuses and teams don't want to be using LTIR for that reason, unless they have to. 

Just now, Alflives said:

We fell to third in the Pacific tonight.  We could easily be out of a playoff spot by this time next week.  If JB wanted to help the team he should have fired ?Green and brought in Gallant or Babcock.  And that doesn’t cost the future. 

We will see soon it suddenly got a lot tighter.

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Using LTIR makes it impossible to cover performance bonuses (Pettersson and Hughes), which means they will count against the cap next year. That's not a good thing. 

In these circumstances, its not necessarily a bad thing. It just measn that we have to make sure that we do everything to encourage Eriksson to retire this summer.

3 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Only way they trade him right now is if it’s a legit top pair dman coming back

There's a lot of pages to read through here but would you consider Dumba along those lines? I know he's having a down year but the whole Wild team has been that way.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

“Have we got a player for you...is really quite a bargain”. Maybe someone will take LE :) (or not)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah you the facts you made were pretty...

Madden is definitely as touted and good as Hughes and Petey since weight doesn't matter and clearly where you are drafted doesn't either. You know a 3rd round pick is just as valuable as a 5th overall or 7th overall.

Madden is definitely a top end prospect. NCAA is definitely better than professional leagues in Sweden or Russia. Playing against men in a pro league means nothing so he must be better than Hogs and Pods. I mean it's not like Motte was a Hobey Baker finalist, only good players get those nods. NCAA success is a lot more better than any other, clearly a top end prospect on our team

It's definitely safe to say that Madden will play 10+ seasons too. He doesn't have any massive hurtles to overcome or anything and is definitely as touted as our other young guys 

who were underweight but drafted much higher than him, that means nothing. Madden could supply the bottom 6 grit we desperately need if we are overcrowded in the top 6. I mean i'd rather have Madden than a Reaves or Martin protecting Petey and bringing about a physical presence, who wouldn't with that 160lbs body.

Also Toffoli won't re-sign here, I mean the Canucks won't even try, it's not like there was conditional pick stating that if he did re-sign LA would be compensated or anything to tell us otherwise.

yeah

Finally, got some content for an actual conversation.

a) Motte was a Hobey Baker finalist on a stacked Michigan team. Connor and Compher both finished ahead of him in points, and that team also had Werenski. 

The NCAA developed Quinn Hughes and Gaudette so it's not some "farce" league. There was no discussion of Pods and Hoglander, but Madden was still a top prospect on the team. He's carrying Northeastern on his back.

b) It's the classic "truculence" obsession on CDC. I really thought this was a thing of the past, especially after we drafted Pettersson and Hughes. Tyler Toffoli isn't going to defend Pettersson on the same level as Martin or Reaves. If the Canucks wanted "truculence", they should've went after Blake Coleman or Wayne Simmonds.

c) Many on CDC have this weird obsession with weight. You can build a skilled team that is complemented with tougher players. Toffoli isn't the grit you are looking for though, so I have no idea where this conversation enters the fray. If the Canucks traded Madden for a young power forward, it's a completely different situation. 

d) The trade does improve if Toffoli re-signs, but that is up in the air on either side.

yeah

Edited by Darkstar
  • Haha 1